WAG Level 6 bars question (regarding casts)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
I had thought all cast-to-handstands were out of a kip.
Talking with DD, she mentioned S is doing a kip to casthandstand.
Then tells me about her casthandstand. I asked about the kip - nope, not yet. Just a cast up into a handstand.

Obviously this is a progression, get the casthandstand, then add the kip to it.

I know that all casts are to go to handstand in optionals.
Does this mean that without the KIPcasthandstand she has not hit requirements?
I have seen where they will kip into a squat on (kind of a way to get around the cast), but if she kips up to the high bar, doesn't that mean that for sure she needs the KIPcasthandstand?

I think I have it right, just trying to be sure.
(I hate bothering the coaches and sounding like I'm nagging - or heaven forbid, a CGM. I'm really just trying to understand).

So I went to Youtube and see this, and it's the Level 5 routine... It's current this year, so it's not Old L6.
Now I'm thoroughly 100% confused :(

A cast to handstand is not required when getting to the squat on. Just cast and get your feet up. In optionals all casts have to be at handstand if you don't want to take any deductions AT ALL. So if you go kip cast free hip on the low bar the last needs to be vertical to avoid ANY deductions. The when you just to the high bar and kip cast giant or free hip that cast also must be vertical to avoid any deductions.
But in level 6 and 7 there are minimum cast height requirements in order to even start at a 10. I believe in L6 cast have to reach horizontal and in L7 they have to be 45 degrees. If you reach those minimums then your bar routine will start at a 10 BUT if that is as high as they go then you will be assessed up to 0.3 for each cast that doesn't reach handstand. If a routine goes really wrong and you don't reach the minimum requirements your start values are 9.5 AND you still get the lack of height deduction. Gets really painful really fast!

Also, the routine in the video isn't even the L5 routine because she doesn't do the long hang pull over on high bar. Every cast (whether from a kip or not) should hit HS or it will be deducted in Optionals.

This routine does technically meet the minimum requirements for a level 6 routine, but would likely only score in the 7's because of all the deductions(both cast heights and extra swing are the biggies) Optional levels have minimum requirements set by USAG, but each individual gym and coach will have their own requirements for what they would consider a competition ready routine at each level.

Also, the routine in the video isn't even the L5 routine because she doesn't do the long hang pull over on high bar.
I didn't even notice that was missing - LOL!

I hate to be a pain, but if anyone can take a look at this, she scored a 9.325, which to me is decent.
Can anyone tell me how much she would have lost, or had lower starting value, based on her lack of handstands?
I know i'm just being neurotic, because in the end, none of what I'm learning right now will really matter, as the coaches are in charge, and DD is the one who has to be able to do what coach says. I'm just really trying to grasp this whole world of optionals. (and as you can tell, I'm not a quick learner!!)

I see 0.3 for the high bar cast out of the kip and another 0.3 out of the clear hip and the rest was minor dings here and there... but I could be wrong :)

My DD competed 6 last season and really wanted to compete her giant to layout flyaway BUT couldn't get consistent from a cast. Her coach let her stop intentionally after the kip on high bar and then cast. We all knew it would be a deduction but competing the giant was the goal. She scored 8.5 - the same as her routine without the giant with the tuck.

This was my daughters bar routine from last year (level 6). Not the best quality, sorry. She scored a 9.15 at this meet. I have most of her level 6 videos uploaded to my YouTube account. You can check them out and compare scores here

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCi6P9bvDxqx9kDhtA1rvPQg

I enjoyed watching them!!
But now i'm even more curious - she goes into clear hip from that first kip cast, but that cast does not go to handstand. Is that a lower starting value because she only meets the horizontal requirement?

(Again, I know that no answer I get from anyone will change what our coach wants or doesn't want, and I'm not the mom to say "But I saw on Youtube that others do...", I'm truly just trying to fully (if possible) understand how it all works).

thank you!

My DD competed 6 last season and really wanted to compete her giant to layout flyaway BUT couldn't get consistent from a cast. Her coach let her stop intentionally after the kip on high bar and then cast. We all knew it would be a deduction but competing the giant was the goal. She scored 8.5 - the same as her routine without the giant with the tuck.

I like that coach :)

I enjoyed watching them!!
But now i'm even more curious - she goes into clear hip from that first kip cast, but that cast does not go to handstand. Is that a lower starting value because she only meets the horizontal requirement?

(Again, I know that no answer I get from anyone will change what our coach wants or doesn't want, and I'm not the mom to say "But I saw on Youtube that others do...", I'm truly just trying to fully (if possible) understand how it all works).

thank you!
The cast before the clear hip does not lower the start value... The SR is "a cast to horizontal or above" ... however, there can be deductions for not hitting (or coming within 20º) of the handstand.
The start value is determined first... then any deductions for cast angle are taken off that.

The cast before the clear hip does not lower the start value... The SR is "a cast to horizontal or above" ... however, there can be deductions for not hitting (or coming within 20º) of the handstand.
The start value is determined first... then any deductions for cast angle are taken off that.
So then would there be a deduction for the cast before clear hip because it didn't hit handstand?

So then would there be a deduction for the cast before clear hip because it didn't hit handstand?
Yep! She filled the SR (so doesn't lose 0.5 from her start value), but she would still get amplitude deductions because the expectation for all optional levels is that cast should be to handstand (exception: before a squat-on).

Yep! She filled the SR (so doesn't lose 0.5 from her start value), but she would still get amplitude deductions because the expectation for all optional levels is that cast should be to handstand (exception: before a squat-on).

Thank you!

It's all so confusing! Ha! I just smile and clap!
Her routine this year, for level 7, will be kip, squat on, jump to high bar, kip to handstand, free hip to handstand, giant, layout fly away (or a double back-She just started training them so fingers crossed).

It's all so confusing! Ha! I just smile and clap!
Her routine this year, for level 7, will be kip, squat on, jump to high bar, kip to handstand, free hip to handstand, giant, layout fly away (or a double back-She just started training them so fingers crossed).

Are they allowed to do double back dismounts at 7? I thought they could not do those until level 8?

Are they allowed to do double back dismounts at 7? I thought they could not do those until level 8?

I don't know. Dd said if she has it she can compete it...BUT that's coming from an 11 year old so who knows! I don't believe anything until I see it! Ya know?!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back