WAG Level 6 bars question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Again - thank you so much everyone. It was all very helpful!

I'm going to remove the video link at this point (if the site will let me) just for privacy reasons. I prefer not to leave it out there for any length of time.

Love this site and how helpful everyone is! :)

As far as one the "other" coach feeling the bar coach could be better....I watched all four events on the video, and think aside from the cast squat on being missed, her bar work is equal to or better than floor and vault...and pretty much equal to beam.

I forgot to mention this, the standard on bars tends to match her other events.

Okay this is a coach/judge view
* She is not really doing a 'glide' kip on the low bar it is more of a HB kip (why is the bar so high?!?!) How will she adapt this technique when she grows?
* Bent arms in her cast, loose through her back
* Clear hip shows no support and major bent arms
* the kip again
* Fall
*Loose body and legs on the jump - This body position is going to make it very dangerous if she should slip off in her catch
* HB cast bent arms and very low
*Swing to 3/4 giant/pullover body position and bent arms
* Swings are low and body position needs work, she is also sticking her head out (usually to look at the bar) which ruins the shape and can cause the gymnast to loose her grip/slip off
* She has tucked her knees before releasing the bar for her flyaway and is leatting go too early

Chances are the girls doing the cast to handstands are significantly stronger and have more refined bar skills overall, hence the bigger scores

very astute and honest evaluation. the bar routine is just not executed very well. the low bar is much to high and it is no matter that a block was used to jump. the bar needs to be at FIG, or even lower, so that the gymnast can do a proper power down to glide.

and look at the jump from the low to high. the bars are much to far apart also. had they been closer she would not have lost 3/10th's in what you see happen to her form and shape when she leaves the low bar.

to the mom, i wouldn't worry about it. she looks "new" to this routine and it will get better and develop as long as she is working hard. i've seen kids overcome not so good bars coaching.:)

Thanks, dunno (and everyone else).

I'm not worried about it and I wasn't at all questioning the judges scores on any of her events. They seemed pretty appropriate to me. I just like to know what I'm looking for so I'm NOT one of those moms going up to the coach after a meet or *****ing in the stands about the unfair score my little "susie" got. I see/hear that a lot --- people complaining about the score saying the routine looked great but not knowing at all what they should be looking for.

For example, I knew they had to cast higher than horizontal, but not how much higher, so now it is easy to see how she lost points there....as well as other things that were explained and I learned.

I do not try to coach my dd (other than the "have fun" or "good luck with [whatever she is trying to improve upon]), but it helps me to understand what the judges are looking for.

Finally - does anyone know how I can edit my post? I don't seem to have an option in "thread tools," and I'd really like to take out the link for privacy reasons. (I don't want to just delete the video from youtube because I sent it to some family & friends.) I sent a message to the moderator but haven't heard anything back.

Just so you know for the future - there is an edit feature but it is only available for a short time after you post (1hr, I think). Then you have to request one of the moderators to fix it, which bog apparently just did.

Thanks, bog! If I post a video in the future, I'll do so with a separate link that I can remove the source file if needed. But it would be nice to be able to edit at any time. :D

You can edit posts for three hours. We have it set that way due to issues with posters being very rude, then editing it out and acting like they have done nothing wrong when the world blows up in their face. This way mods have to edit, which means they are aware of the content. We have had some crazy times here,

my advice for posting video here is to edit out team and individual names, even giving scores can be enough info for someone to track your child down. Safety first.

my first thought was stretchsportsguy...now he bothers everyone on Facebook.

You can edit posts for three hours. We have it set that way due to issues with posters being very rude, then editing it out and acting like they have done nothing wrong when the world blows up in their face. This way mods have to edit, which means they are aware of the content. We have had some crazy times here,

my advice for posting video here is to edit out team and individual names, even giving scores can be enough info for someone to track your child down. Safety first.

It is amazing how people quickly people can track you down. I've posted gripes and complains about my gym and I was found out so quickly by a couple mothers in our team. The positive side of this is that at least I know my gripes and concerns are real and shared by at least some mothers and it is not my "crazy gym momness" that is creating or making up the problems.

I once played the "track the gymmie game" on a random youtube video. I was able to find out way to much info about them, just based on one meet video. It is shocking. We also know that at least three members here have been thrown out of their gyms due to posts made online. They thought they were anonymous, but it really takes very little to track people down. Then there is the whole creepy angle, that I do not even like to ponder. I don't share publicly anymore after getting a few odd comments on YT.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back