Parents Level 6 Beam Dismount (Not Holding First Handstand Long Enough)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmommy71

Proud Parent
My daughter's first Level 6 meet is coming up soon, and she is struggling w/ holding the regular handstand at the start of the beam dismount long enough...she is just going right from the first handstand to the side handstand (then twists down from there)...her hands place correctly for it all, the first handstand is just too quick. She tells me she's supposed to hold the first handstand for at least one full second or it is a "big deduction"...I'd day she's only holding it half a second or even less... If she *forces* herself to hold the first handstand, she probably is only able to do the twist down about half the time from the side handstand (risking what she tells me is a *fall* when she goes right down)...

I'm wondering what is worse, for her to hold the first handstand long enough and fall on the dismount part, or for her to do the too short first handstand and instantly go to the side handstand so she doesn't fall (she's able to hold the side handstand long enough (2 secs) if she does the quick first handstand)? Does anyone know what the deduction would be for a less than one second hold on the first handstand if the rest of the dismount is done correctly? Is that worse than what would be deducted if she fell? I found another post that said the first handstand hold is only worth .1, but that hardly sounds like a big deduction to me. My daughter says someone told her something like its a .7 deduction, so she is really stressed about it now.

Also, any drills, ideas, etc. to help her to do it correctly? She normally got 9's on beam in Level 5 and is hoping for similar scores in Level 6...

I am not familiar with US judging, but as a coach this sounds like something that will get better with practice and confidence. Doing something that helps your score better may not help you perfect that skill for the future or progress further.

I believe that not holding the 1st handstand is only a .1 deduction so I would take that. It will get better with time and practice, speaking from experience. My dd coach had the girls do a lot of spotting of each other, one girl would hold while the other did handstand then turned and held second into dismount and this is what seemed to help my dd the most.

I am not familiar with US judging, but as a coach this sounds like something that will get better with practice and confidence. Doing something that helps your score better may not help you perfect that skill for the future or progress further.

wanna come work with us?:)

This is what DD's coach tells the girls. He doesn't care if they fall, so long as they were going for it. If they hold back to avoid falling, he gets mad. They are to go for the skill every time, and not worry about their score (corrections are to come from the coaches, not the judges' scoring).

wanna come work with us?:)

This is what DD's coach tells the girls. He doesn't care if they fall, so long as they were going for it. If they hold back to avoid falling, he gets mad. They are to go for the skill every time, and not worry about their score (corrections are to come from the coaches, not the judges' scoring).

My sentiments exactly......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back