DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

No. There are a bunch of Options for L6 and L7 (same vault chart for both):
1.101 Handspring
1.102 Handspring - 1/2 twist off
1.103 Yama****a
1.104 Yama****a - 1/2 twist off
1.105 1/2 on - 1/2 off OR 1/4 on - 3/4 off
1.106 1/4 to 1/2 on - repulsion with flight to feet off (Roundoff vault)
1.201 Handspring - 1/1 Twist
1.203 Yama****a - 1/1 Twist
1.206 1/2 on - 1/1 twist off OR 1/4 on - 1 1/4 twist off
1.207 1/1 Twist on - Handspring or Yama****a off
1.208 1/1 twist on - 1/2 twist off

Whenever you see 1/1 it means full twist

We have a few girls doing 1/2 on - 1/2 off. (Level 6, Level 7, Xcel Gold, and Xcel Platinum). They all use the same vault chart. I have also seen a roundoff vault at a meet... but most do the handspring because they are used to it. My OG scores better with her 1/2 -1/2 than her handspring which is why she competes it.

True - all the above are options....90+% of girls do simple FHS, though, in my experience
Yeah, and it's pretty boring that so many people compete it for so many years. In my opinion, teaching variety on vault in the early levels in order to prepare them for harder vaults in higher levels would be super beneficial and very wise. The Yamashta vault alone has excellent potential to prepare gymnasts for the later, higher difficulty vaults that use a forward entry, like a front handspring front tuck. It's a shame that most coaches just fall back on the front handspring vault for so many years/levels. Why not train some other vaults to get the variety, and then fall back on the front handspring if needed?

Thank you all so much. My daughter's FHS "just plain stinks" (her words) and has not really improved much the whole season. We are making a gym switch and they are most likely not competing 5. Her half on is soooooooo much better than her FHS and I am just not sure that she will ever do the FHS as well as she wants to. Good to know there ARE other options.

At least at DD's gym, the girls all compete FHS until L8, because once they have a handle on the FHS (around late L5), they start spending a good bit of time during vault rotations learning Yurchenko progressions. By the time they are competing L7, the only time they do FHSs is a week or two before each meet. It may be boring for the parents to watch FHSs at meets, but not spending time learning and perfecting other vaults enables them to focus on developing solid Yurchenkos that they can debut at L8. Most of the gyms around here seem to play by the same philosophy (albeit some with Tsuks at L8 rather than Yurchenkos).

DD always stunk at FHS vaults until late this season. Suddenly, within the last two months (just as she is about to leave them behind forever!), she mastered it and can do them well. o_O

Yes, DD is horrified at the thought of 3 levels with FHS. One girl in her class has totally mastered it in 3 months and she was extra-horrified!

granted, i realize that it takes 2 or 3 levels to master this vault....i am sure that my gimmie will use ALL that time...

At least at DD's gym, the girls all compete FHS until L8, because once they have a handle on the FHS (around late L5), they start spending a good bit of time during vault rotations learning Yurchenko progressions. By the time they are competing L7, the only time they do FHSs is a week or two before each meet. It may be boring for the parents to watch FHSs at meets, but not spending time learning and perfecting other vaults enables them to focus on developing solid Yurchenkos that they can debut at L8. Most of the gyms around here seem to play by the same philosophy (albeit some with Tsuks at L8 rather than Yurchenkos).

DD always stunk at FHS vaults until late this season. Suddenly, within the last two months (just as she is about to leave them behind forever!), she mastered it and can do them well. o_O

^^^^This is what we do. My DD has been having so much fun during vault rotation at practice this past year because of the Tsuk work! Some it can be scary she says, but she is handling it well and it is SO NICE to have her excited about vault.

My gymmie tends to vault maybe 10 practice vaults going into a meet (in the 2-3 weeks before) if she is lucky. Since we have to leave early most nights, she misses vault a lot. She HAS been doing timers for higher level vaults (just started last week), but the 1/2-1/2 wasn't hard to learn and it is so much cleaner than the FHS.

I agree with Profmom....not much point in learning vaults other than FHS if they're planning to do flipping vaults for L8, at least at our gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back