WAG Level 7 vault for next year?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

westernsuzy

Since next year, L5 will be 4, L6 will be 5, and there will be that new 6 (like a current 6.5 or pre-L7), I am assuming they will all have that same vault, and I can't imagine the gymnasts will do that for a 4th year on L7 after the 2013 changes. Does anyone know what it will be... My dd (current L6 and just completed states) started learning yurchenko's today... I wonder if the coaches know that will be the L7 vault for next year? they don't usually train-up at her gym, so I am curious.

Yep. At our gym you can pretty much guarantee that the day after states, the L6 girls will start working drills for Tsuks and Yurchenkos, and to some extent the L5 girls too.

Same thing here... Towards the end of level 6, they started training flipping vaults. A year later DD is excited that they're going to let her start trying them on the table soon. Definitely a long-term project.

i don't believe that yurchenko's will be allowed at level 7.

Maybe they will have them do tsuk/yurichenko timers but land on the big mat, similar to level 4 but with the real table, as opposed to flipping the vault to the floor.

Maybe they will have them do tsuk/yurichenko timers but land on the big mat, similar to level 4 but with the real table, as opposed to flipping the vault to the floor.

Interesting... a few coaches have written here in the past that it would be great to have this option for level 7 since it at least progresses the gymnast beyond doing the FHS vault for the 3rd yr in a row while training the harder vaults

not certain what the rule is yet. i just remember hearing that they might not be allowed. and i might be wrong. i'm old.:)

I cant imagine why they require the handspring vault for so many years, the kids must get a little over it. In Australia the only level that a handspring vault is required for is level 5. In level 6 they can choose to do either a handspring or a handspring full twist or a tucked tsukahara or a piked tsukahara.

In level 7-10 they can do any vault they wish, so yurchenko's and handspring double fronts are allowed in level 7. But they are quite rare, even in level 10. The most common vaults are handspring fulls, handspring front salto's and tsukahara's.

Thanks. On usag, they say L7-10 are not changing (no new level number assignment) in the same way the compulsories are changing. They are adding a level between 6 and 7, and that is going to be the third year of the same front spring vault.

But dunno, isn't the new 7 like the old 8? Yurchenkos are very common now at level 8...

Very interesting..... Thanks.

Interesting... a few coaches have written here in the past that it would be great to have this option for level 7 since it at least progresses the gymnast beyond doing the FHS vault for the 3rd yr in a row while training the harder vaults

Yeah, and next year, it would be 4th year in a row soigné the new Level 4, 5, and 6 will be doing the FHS vault on the table.

I keep waiting for them to devalue the yurichenko so we'll start seeing more of a variety of vaults. I'm not sure what they're doing with the new level 7. Right now, I see quite a few gyms using 1/2 on 1/2 or 1/1 off as intermediate vaults for level 8. I'm not a real big fan of those vaults as far as progressions go so that's most likely what they'll use. It seems that the current way vaults are judged and listed in USAG's progressions that they really don't want girls doing front entry vaults or tsuk type vaults with any power. Maybe they'll change it this time.

I personally am hoping that they can still do the handspring vault for the new level 7 since I think that is where she is headed next year and she still struggles with it. Does everything else really well even has all the skills for 7 right now except giants
( haven't worked on it yet) but man that poor vault :eek:

I personally am hoping that they can still do the handspring vault for the new level 7 since I think that is where she is headed next year and she still struggles with it. Does everything else really well even has all the skills for 7 right now except giants
( haven't worked on it yet) but man that poor vault :eek:

I am sure it will still be allowed. L8's can do it now, just at a lower stat value. Occasionally, you see a new L8 competing it until she matters the higher value vts. The problem with the current level 7 (and presumably the new L6) is that there is no score benefit for doing a harder vault. So the girls do the fhs for a third year. If it were to become devalued a bit, girls might be more apt to compete different vaults.

I kinda like the idea of a choice of any of the following..........

A handspring onto a conventional landing surface...

A Tsukahara timer onto a raised resi...

A Yurchencko timer onto a raised resi surface...

A handspring front timer onto a raised resi surface...

Scoring criteria would remain as is for the standard handspring to standard surface with a 10.00 start value.

The timers would be judged on the pre-flight, block, elevation gained from the block, and posture/shape to the apex of the elevation phase. these vaults would have a start value of 9.80 as a trade for carte banc' on the descent and landing which would no longer be considered a part of the vault.

Well, coaches still get to dream, don't we? If not, then I'd rather see the handspring as a cap. It would hardly slow the long term work on the vaults left off the list, as the reality is that a kid with 3 seasons of handsprings should be able to do one with hardly any notice. If it takes more than minimal time to brush off and compete the handspring, the kid probably isn't ready to compete anything more advanced, no matter what the rules allow.

Please note: no ankles were harmed, threatened, or placed in danger during the preparation and writing of this post. :D

After witnessing way too many tsuk attempts go wrong this year at L8 competitions I would love to see them add a year of competing "timers" before L8. My dd ended up competing the FH this year as her ankle injury got in the way of having her tsuk safely ready for competition. (Really killed her AA score, but I much prefer that to an injured child.) At the 4 meets we went to this year, one girl was carried out on a stretcher due to a concussion, another 2 probably would have if the coach hadn't stepped in and flipped them, and another limped off the runway after landing on hands and knees. And that was just the ones I happened to see!

Please remember that a FHS vault is not required at L7. There are other vaults that a gymnast can do...it's just that no one chooses to do them.

"Timer" vaults would be an excellent idea!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back