WAG Level 7 vault for next year?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

....."Timer" vaults would be an excellent idea!

I had a memory of the "Timer" vaults being allowed for L8's, so I just looked them up at USAG. Both the Tsuk and Yuri timers receive...... Now don't jump up and down for joy...... a 7.0 start value at L8 woohoooooo!!!!!!!!!

I'm never surprised at the visionary acumen of our austere governing body. :p :p :p

Thanks, JBS, for having the foresight to provide the variety of emoticons. They seem pretty handy at times..... like this.

Add me in as another vote for timers as the 10 value vault at new 7 with the FHS downgraded. It really might cut down on the proportion of scary vaults competed at L8 if they're expected to compete timers at 7.

If we could just get USAG to hand over all rule-making responsibilities to the Chalkbucket coaches, we could have a really good system!

If they go with Timer vaults, all vaults would need to be timer vaults. It would be a pain to move the extra mats between gymnasts doing timers and ones doing handsprings.
I'm pretty sure they would mess up the judging of timers. One judge took off .3 for a slight arch on entry for a front handspring front tuck. If they are looking for straight bodies during timers, it will defeat the purpose of the vault like the way the current level 4 vault is judged.

Here is what I want to see...

[video=youtube;hHQg09foP2U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHQg09foP2U[/video]

...or tsuk.....probably not hand front timers...I could see that going bad real quick based on the style of timer.

You could make the value raise for the timer based on how high the mats rise above the table???

Timer to below table...9.0 start
Timer even with table...9.5 start
Timer to above vault table...10.0 start

Here is what I want to see...

[video=youtube;hHQg09foP2U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHQg09foP2U[/video]

...or tsuk.....probably not hand front timers...I could see that going bad real quick based on the style of timer.

You could make the value raise for the timer based on how high the mats rise above the table???

Timer to below table...9.0 start
Timer even with table...9.5 start
Timer to above vault table...10.0 start

These are compete in the Canadian Pre Novice levels and they do not run into issues at meets with the mats being used for one group and not the others.

That sounds a bit harsh if a hand spring is allowed a higher start value, but there'd have to be a differentiation between kids who elevate higher than others.

As far as the practicality of moving mats etc........ Vault could be conducted in the same manner as the jumping events in track and field, which relies on coaches getting their jumpers over to the event as they wait for other events they're entered in. The mat set would start out at standard competition matting for a sufficient period of time for coaches to get those kids through the event. A "last call" would be announced to get stragglers over to vault before the matting gets changed for those wanting to compete timers, and increased in height as the event progresses to allow for hand front timers.

As far as the judges are concerned........

There're three things in that are certain in life. Death, taxes, and judges making mistakes like the rest of us. Judges getting thing's wrong, from time to time, is possibly the only reliable constant in the sport. They are, after all, human, and though it drives me crazy to see scores that conflict with performances, I have to admit that I've made mistakes too. So it doesn't matter to me whether they make their mistakes while my kids do handsprings *or* timers, because it is what it is and I'd rather spend my time coaching toward a destination beyond the handspring...... provided the kids are ready.

That sounds a bit harsh if a hand spring is allowed a higher start value

I would like to either see the front handspring as "not allowed"...or all gymnasts must do one timer and one front handspring vault.

Because I'm clueless on what my daughter does day to day...I just watch the meets and listen if she says something new...

What's a timer?!!

I've heard her tell me "we did timers" and never had any idea what she was talking about!

She is level 8 (yes, I've gotten this far and remained clueless!)

In competition, she does a tsuk....a pike tsuk for the first time at last weekend's meet...before that it was a tuck tsuk.

That is all I know!

She is practicing a yurchenko...I know this, too, because she's told me.

She is a good vaulter :) Has placed first at Level 6 and 7 states (I know, it's the easy front handspring, right?!)
But she also likes to vault!

Anyway...just curious!!

A timer is a drill like what JBS posted in the video. It is a training for the vault so they are focusing on all the technique without having to worry about flipping all the way around to their feet and land it. It is a stepping stone to the flipping vaults in the same way that the L4 vault is a stepping stone to the FH vault.
In the L8 sessions I've been to this year it has not been uncommon to see gyms stack mats up and do timers as part of their warm up for the event and then move them as they progress in their warm-ups, so I do not see that being a problem for the actual competition.

In our AAU level 7 the vaults are valued differently Handspring 9.40
½ On – ½ Off 9.60
¼ On – ¾ Off 9.60
½ On – 1/1 Off 9.80
¼ On – 1 ¼ Off 9.80
Handspring 1/1 10.0.

In our AAU level 7 the vaults are valued differently Handspring 9.40
½ On – ½ Off 9.60
¼ On – ¾ Off 9.60
½ On – 1/1 Off 9.80
¼ On – 1 ¼ Off 9.80
Handspring 1/1 10.0.

It's funny. For you to score well on all the vaults listed higher than the handspring, you have to kill the handspring to keep it from flipping. I've never liked these vaults much for progressions. But that's just my opinion.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back