WAG Level 8 floor question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GikiGirl

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Is there any compositional or other deduction for not having a three-element tumbling pass? Thanks.

Following. DD has 2 tumbling passes and 1 acro pass in her new routine and her scores have not been high this season. I wonder the same thing.

The requirements state nothing about how many passes are required. The requirements can be achieved in many ways and different gyms have different philosophies about how to best achieve them.

Level 8 gymnasts must have the following in their floor routine:
  • One Acro Series with 2 saltos OR 2 directly connected saltos (the saltos can be the same or different)
  • Three different saltos within the exercise (can be isolated or in a series)
  • Dance Passage w/ min. of 2 diff. Grp. 1 elements (direct or indirect connection) - one a LEAP w/ 180° cross or side split
  • The last isolated salto or last salto connection must have at least an “A” valued salto element (A front or back tuck is an “A” valued salto)
Not sure what OP means by a "3 element tumbling pass", but the requirements are above. Typical passes you see in L8 are RO-BHS-LO, RO-BH-Full, FHS-FLO-FT, FHS, FLO-FLO. My daughter does 3 passes, but you can achieve the requirements in 2 if you can do the proper tumbling.

We see FT Stepout-RO-BHS-LO, especially when a girl does not have a full. Not sure what other pass would go with this though, so I am also curious about the combos that fulfill those requirements.

Is there any compositional or other deduction for not having a three-element tumbling pass? Thanks.
The short answer is no.
HOWEVER, if she doesn't have a 3 element tumbling pass, then she would need a series that is 2 connected Saltos to fulfill the requirement:
  • One Acro Series with 2 saltos OR 2 directly connected saltos (the saltos can be the same or different)
I know a L8 that does FT-RO-BT (3 elements with 2 saltos), but if the girl can do Punch FT-FT (or any of the Front saltos), then that would fulfill the requirement :)

To answer Seeker's question, my planned passes are:

front pike front tuck
front handspring front layout
roundoff layout 1/2

Thank you everyone for your responses.

We see FT Stepout-RO-BHS-LO, especially when a girl does not have a full. Not sure what other pass would go with this though, so I am also curious about the combos that fulfill those requirements.

I've seen a few gyms who use the above pass in lieu of the double front salto. It seems less difficult to me than the double front salto, but who am I? lol Those front salto passes can look really awkward.

I also thought there had to be a skill with a twisting element, but I guess I was wrong.

Most of the girls in our gym do FHS followed by two front saltos. and then RO, BHS, and either a full or a half.

To answer Seeker's question, my planned passes are:

front pike front tuck
front handspring front layout
roundoff layout 1/2

Thank you everyone for your responses.

That's fine. You've got a pass with two saltos (front pike + front tuck). And you've got three (actually four) different saltos in the routine. In terms of composition, you have front and back tumbles and you have "B" skills in each tumbling pass. That's solid tumbling for a level 8.

Reactions: sce
The only place I can see deductions coming in with value parts if the routine is very short on skills in general, you might be missing a few A skills. You need 4 As and 4 Bs for Level 8. From the skills you told us, you have
As: front tuck, front handspring, round-off -> 3 As
Bs: front pike, front lay, back lay 1/2 -> -> 3 Bs

The remaining A and B should be covered by your dance elements so I doubt you're missing anything.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back