Level 9 Beam Requirements?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm a bit confused. I've seen lots of level 9 beam routines on YouTube, but the level 9 gymnast on our team doesn't seem to fit them. She never scores well on beam and i was wondering if she was meeting the requirements. I know it seems like none of my business, but the level 9 beam routine that I will eventually get is based on what she does, and I HATE taking any SV below a 10.0. Here is her routine:

~back handspring back handspring
~Switch leap into a 3/4 tuck jump
~full turn
~Split jump, 1/4 turn straddle jump
~Round off layout full dismount

I noticed that she didn't have a standing back tuck in her routine, and I'm confused about it. Is it a requirement? It seems that most high-scoring routines have one.

-Lauren

The requirements are actually pretty basic:

Flight series with both elements being flight elements,
180° split
full turn
and a b dismount.

other than that you need 3 As, 4 Bs and 1 C - that'll have you start at a 9.7. The rest you'll have to get through connection bonus.
I think the switch- tuck 3/4 is a tenth bonus so the above routine would start at a 9.8?

The requirements are actually pretty basic:

Flight series with both elements being flight elements,
180° split
full turn
and a b dismount.

You have all requirements fulfilled as long as skills are done correctly.

Level 9 routines start at a 9.7 with the possibility to earn bonus through connections.

Switch leap (C) + 3/4 tuck jump (C) = 0.1 bonus
Split jump (B) + 1/4 turn straddle jump (C) = 0.1 bonus

So, it seems like she is starting at a 9.9. The back handspring (B) + back tuck (C) is another 0.1 of bonus, so that is why you see many gymnasts do it.

switch leap + tuck 3/4 is C+C, .2 bonus because the elements are different.

As I said, theoretical 10.0 SV.

There is also a potential she isn't getting full credit for her bonus, as a tuck 3/4 is often cheated and a straddle 1/4 tends to turn into a split 1/4 in certain situations. I would pay more attention to her Start Value rather than her overall score.

That sound a lot like the routine of one of my dd's friends. I think she tends to score low 9s. What does your teammate score?

I'd be interested for the judges to comment on what deductions they'd take on it. Would the lack of a front/side element be a composition deduction, or does the roundoff into the dismount take care of that. Wouldn't a level 9 routine without a salto get a "not up to the level of the competition" deduction?

Well, she's only competed two level 9 meets, and the scores were pretty different. One of them was a 9.050, and the other was an 8.200. I don't know if she fell at all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back