Levels of gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Okay so for my meet this year in the US my coach is either having me do 7 (probably where i should be, i think) or level 8 if i can get by with a decent score. Can you tell me which level you think?

Floor:
Back layout full
Front Layout
Front tuck round off back handspring back tuck (working layout at end)
(( and i can do front tuck front tuck if needed ))

Vault:
Front handspring full

Bars:
Kip cast to horizontal back hip (cast to handstand, or should be by the meet) sole circle jump to high bar, uprise, cast back kip, flyaway (or if should be by the meet)

Beam:
Next year this is what will be in my routine because i am close:
Handstand backhand spring
Split Leap wolf jump
full turn or one and a half
Round off back tuck dismount

Thanks guys, or what level would u think i am.

Also i know i need free hip and giant of bars but my coach says i will be doing free hip to handstand

It sounds closer to a USAG level 7. Most 8's do a tsuk or yurchenko vault, you need giants and a at least a tuck flyaway, I want to say you need a 1/2 pirouette as well and a vertical handstand, your floor sounds okay if the dance requirements are also fufilled. For beam most 8's do backhandspring, backhandspring. Some do a walkover backhandspring for a flight series though. Hope that helps.

Well, you should definitely be fine on floor and vault as a level 8, if you got your free hip to handstand you should be ok on bars, and beam would be the event that you needed the most work on. For beam you would need to have a flight series with at least 1 flight element, handstand bhs would not count, though because both skills need to be moving (ex. bwo bhs or bhs bhs), and there may be a few things I am leaving out...
Overall, if you got a flight series on beam then I think you would do fine at level 8, but that's just my opinion. Good luck!!!:)

Thanks guys, for level 8 beam then would front walkover round off work? i have it i would just have to work on it a little because i haven't done it in a while. And also for level 7 does handstand back handspring count?

Thanks guys, for level 8 beam then would front walkover round off work? i have it i would just have to work on it a little because i haven't done it in a while. And also for level 7 does handstand back handspring count?

Hmmm. Have to say I've never seen a fwo-ro. Remember the 2 skills must be connected which means no pausing. For L7, the hs-bhs would satisfy the requirment for that level.

Though it is not common, fwo ro does work. Personally, I think it would be easier than a cartwheel ro, but that's just my opinion.

I would go with L7 to start and if you get the L8 skills and the mobility score to move up during the season you can do that.

My friend did a FWO RO in level 8, her back was so bendy that FWOs were easy for her. It could definitely work.

Also, a roundoff cartwheel works for the flight series on beam for L8.

You don't HAVE to have a pirouette on bars for L8 ... you could do a straddle cut catch instead. Not done very often, but it IS done.....

I would go with L7 to start and if you get the L8 skills and the mobility score to move up during the season you can do that.

I understand this but remember I am from Canada and am only going to one meet in the US, so i cant switch, i compete once and then i am done competing there and back to the levels here.

And for cartwheel round off i find them so much harder because i tried this year and cant swing my leg through.

And if anyone knows what is the start value of front handspring full in level 7 and 8?

In level 7 a front full (and any vault you do) is out of a 10.0
In level 8 a front full is out of a 9.5 (almost 100% sure)
I think you should probably do level 7, but if you wanted to do level 8 you would need a pirouette or straddle back and 2 more Bs (like giants) on bars, and a bwo bhs or fwo ro and another B (or dance C, like a switch leap or tuck 3/4) on beam. The dance requirements on floor are a B turn (1 1/2, 2, or 1 with leg at horizontal) and a leap pass with 2 elements in it (one should be a switch leap so that you have enough Bs). Hope this helps!

Thanks, that really helped, my main problem is bars it doesnt match up with my other events, beam could work with front walkover round off and a back handspring, but once my coach gets the requirements she will let me know and i will decide for sure.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back