Parents Lifting his spirit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How does trampoline and tumbling work? Why is a five year old doing a level where he has to do a front tuck? What are the rules?

Ultimately he is inconsistent on this skill because it is developmentally inappropriate for a 5 year old to do off a competition double mini. He should compete a lower level that has more appropriate skills.
Levels 3 and 4 have a 6 and under age group. Last season there was a 5 year old on my DDs’ team that competed 3 and 4 successfully. She’s an anomaly who also competed L4 rhythmic and trained L4 artistic (she just competed L3 this year though). I think the ages should bump a little higher for competition, personally.

Unlike JO, there is no minimum age to compete in T&T. You can also enter T&T at any level.

This coach was talking about having this child ready for T&T nationals. Nationals begin at level 5, so he wanted to start at least at level 5. Level 5 has two required double mini passes, and I think one of them does have a tuck off the DM. (It has been a few years since my ds competed level 5, so I could be wrong here.). Level 5 also has both front and back tucks on trampoline.

The youngest age group for level 5 is 8 and under, FYI. So he could compete next year or the next or the next and still be in the youngest group. There is no rush.

I think the coach isn't used to such young kids. He saw a kid some talent and potential and pushed too hard and too fast, training him the same way he would train a 10 or 15 year old. It just doesn't work that way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back