Parents Little Brag..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Anna had her 4th little in-house meet that her gym does for the pre-team kids and for the first time EVER she actually did a little handstand on the high beam! I was completely and utterly shocked. She's never, ever done one before on the high beam, not even in practice. She can do them pretty good on a low beam, but gets too scared once she's up on the high beam and doesn't really want to even try. Usually she kicks her back leg up a little and the front foot only gets off the beam maybe an inch or two. I couldn't believe she actually got her feet together and everything! Beam was her first event and after seeing her do that I could have cared less how the rest of the meet went (not that I would have been anything but proud of her at the end anyway...but you know..). She looked over at me after she was done and I could tell she was so proud of herself. I love seeing her conquer her fears...and beam is definitely a fear for her.

Here's a video of her whole meet. Feel free to not watch the whole thing, because it's kind of long. :rolleyes: Beam is towards the beginning of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLRmpIVuxdw

If you watch it all you'll notice that she gets totally distracted on floor. My best friend and her daughter came to watch and it really distracted her...and she has very little focus to begin with..lol.. So she got turned around and forgot her backwards roll completely. Oh well, I still think she did really cute!

I love seeing the progress though. She may look all loosy-goosy (which she still is compared to a lot of girls in her group) but she's gotten SOOOOO much better with keeping her legs straight and toes pointed.

Anyway, I'm so proud of her so I just wanted to share. Now. If she could just figure out that darn mill circle and her bars dismount. She's been struggling with those FOREVER.

(Oh and even though they got scores, I realize that they are probably super high for the "quality" of the gymnastics. They have a few of the higher level girls doing the "judging" and I think they just throw out scores mainly based on form, not so much on whether the girls can actually do the skills.)

Watching the video just made me smile. Anna is adorable and she looks like she is having a blast! Good for her for doing the handstand on beam. :) Thanks for sharing!

She is adorable. Love how she kept making sure you were watching. Congrats to her on that handstand on beam! The beam is so scary when they are little!! Reminded me of my daughter at that age. :)

Anna seems to like performing and making sure you get her on video:) The coaches seemed very patient with the girls. A great time for all!

She is definitely a performer and LOVES attention...which is funny to me since my husband and I are both on the shy side. She absolutely loves when everyone claps for her when they call out her name. She's definitely a little character, that's for sure. I have her in a musical theater class once a week so that she can have a place to release all of her drama. ;)

And her coaches are great. Her group is pretty big, there are 14 5-7 year olds but her two coaches are really good with them. They don't seem to be trying to push them too fast and seem to be teaching slow progressions with everything...I think. I love her gym. :)

Yay! That's a pretty big step! At a gym birthday party, the coaches challenged the parents to walk across the high beam. It was SCARY up there!!!! I wouldn't even attempt a handstand up there. LOL

Really cool! She did great and I love how her coaches seem to be working with her. Looks like she is very happy and improving every day! My younger DD is still battling with the mill circle. She has done it many times, but also missed it many times LOL.

Yay! That's a pretty big step! At a gym birthday party, the coaches challenged the parents to walk across the high beam. It was SCARY up there!!!! I wouldn't even attempt a handstand up there. LOL

I agree! I can do a handstand on the floor but there's no way you'd ever get me to try one on the beam, high or low! I always try to remember that the beam is at head or neck level to my daughter and then try to imagine myself trying to walk across something that is that high to me and only 4" in width. No thanks!

The video of Anna is so cute. She looks like she is having so much fun! It was very cute watching her leap/hop for you while they were marching in. ;)

Very cute video! I liked how the coaches were coaching/spotting her on the bars. It definitely looks like a fun and supportive gym!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back