Long hang kip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

okay well the glide kip came really easy to me but this kip i just can't figure it out and its starting to be really frustrating. I want to move on and start working other bar skills, but i can't until i get this long hang kip. I did it once, but it must of be luck or something because i haven't done it since. When i do my LHK, i cant seem to get on top of the bar? like i get half way up then i come down..if that makes sense. My coach said i have to much power jumping off the bar and told me to push my hips out to go slower and it helped a little but still no luck ): Any ideas as to what im doing wrong? I really need this skill asappp!

hold your feet above the bar at the ankles and keep them there as long as possible when you begin the kipping action.

It's always difficult without a video, but generally if one of my gymnasts doesn't get it, it's because they are rushing. I teach it so that you do a slight tight arch as you swing under the bar, then at the top of your swing, pick your feet up, pike and complete the upstart. The YouTube channel 'usamlt' has a good video entitled 'glides' which covers the long hang kip.

read my above post again. this is what causes the problem. watch how the feet/legs drop BEFORE the upswing of the kip. you can clearly see the issue in your video.

I dont know if this helps but according to what Dunno posted it seems you are having the same problem my daughter was having. Her gym put ankle weights on her and all of a sudden she was making all her long hang kips. I guess the theory was she was rushing it and the weights slowed down the action of her legs and viola! Timing fixed, kip fixed..there it was. I have NO idea of if that was the reason she all of a sudden started making the long hang kips but it sure seemed to be. Maybe its worth a try:)

The most common problem with a long kip is when a gymnast jumps to the high bar they tap into a swing that is too powerful, they tap and kick their feet upwards. This means that their power goes up to the ceiling before they try to kip. But they need their power to go forward like in a glide kip.

The secret is to keep your feet behind you as you swing forward on the high bar, and the kip will come.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back