Coaches Loopy flick

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tally Ho

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi does anyone have any good tips for a child who has developed a really loopy flick, or back hand spring! It used to be lovely but now when she takes off from her feet her hands loop back to the same place her feet were. We are hoping it's just a faze but if anyone has seen this before and has any tips we would appreciate them.

she's gainering. get her on a trampoline or tumbl trak. on a tramp, start at one end and tell her to travel as far as she can. same on a tumbl trak.

Jump. With a coach attending to her, she should try jumping as hard as she can (speed and power) away from the wall she's facing. It just seems to work better when they get rid of the idea of jumping and reaching to the floor...... Trust me, she'll get to the floor without trying.

hold on IWC... i hope you don't mean close to a wall. clarify that or someone will be "looping" her head in to the wall. lol :)

Yikes back atchya!!!!

No, we don't want to redecorate the wall, just looking into the distance at the wall you happen to be facing, and direct the jump away from the way. It seems by telling them to do the jump away from the wall they do better. It's an easy sell when I show them that the proper jump angle has them nearly 1/3 of the way upside down at the end of their jump.

Yeah, I know they never hit the angle but who cares. I show them they can leave the floor at a 40 degree angle from vertical, with power, instead of what they think is correct, like jumping nearly straight up and trying to reach around with their hands, head, and ribs.

One way or the other, they always make it back to the floor.

she's gainering. get her on a trampoline or tumbl trak. on a tramp, start at one end and tell her to travel as far as she can. same on a tumbl trak.

I sometimes do this and mark where their hands reach in chalk. Then they try and outdo each other to get as far as possible.

And sometimes I get them to compete who can do the fewest BHS from one end of the track to the other. Either in a series or with a stop between each one depending on their ability. Their differences in height don't seem to affect the outcome.

Their differences in height don't seem to affect the outcome.

That seems odd, but it makes sense at the same time. Kinda like the way two objects of different weight will drop just as fast as one another, and if made of the same material and shape would bounce the same height when they land.

maybe also the taller ones are more likely to be loopy? That is my reasoning!

The gaining flic flac is a skill in USA G Code. By your question is not the skill outcome that is desired. I do not ask our athletes to perform gaining clic flax's.

I too have had gymnasts who have started gaining their BB flic flac. I experienced this in the more novice gymnasts who have not cemented their take-off mechanics. I use bath mats with success. The bath mat, (soft w/grippy bottom), is behind their feet and their goal is to get their hands progressively farther on the mat. At first I have them use chalk on their hands to mark their progress. My experience is that it does not take much time and they are lengthening the flic flac. This drill I like to start on a knee height beam and then move it higher (our normal is 125cm).

BTW: The bath mats work well with saltos (either by themselves or series) on the beam as they take some sting out of repeated landings when the skill needs reps.

Best, SBG -

I was moving mats in the gym a bit ago and remembered this thread. A pic is worth lots of words, so here are a couple of pics:

IMG_6930-M.jpg

The Grips Beam Pad (we call it the "Bandaid"), a BB pad and a bath mat are all tools I use with BB.

IMG_6931-S.jpg

Above is a BB I made (16ft x 6" (w/o carpet and pad) with a couple of bath mats hanging out on top of it.

I hope the athlete is making progress, SBG -
Thanks for all your replies, the bath mat idea sounds great! Will try it tomorrow.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back