WAG Loss of skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
My dd has had a tough week on bars. About two weeks ago she was putting up a fairly decent level 9 bar routine. And now 2 weeks later she can hardly do any of the routine. She is casting over the bar and falling. She is struggling to make her pirouettes. And falls on her clear hip to hand. She is beyond frustrated. Until today her coach has been patient and giving corrections. She has had some days where she had total meltdowns and tears. Today her coach was very negative and unsupportive. I sure that there are physical or technique issues that come into play but I think is more mental. She sprained her ankle a few weeks ago and it has been slow to heal so she feels unprepared for the season. Season starts next weekend. She is hoping to compete Level 9 but may have to start 8 as she is not quite ready. She is frustrated with her coach and wants another gym. She is very serious about her gymnastics and probably cares too much. These are all things that I think are affecting her. I am trying to figure out how to help her. And yes she is desperate for help and I am her sounding board. I have been telling her that all stress and frustration is probably the reason she is struggling. I am trying to be positive and supportive. I am trying to help her not carry all this worry and frustration with her but need some advice from parents and coaches who can help me help her.

dunno, it makes it very hard for others to help or comment when you PM. We don't want to double post or worse yet, contradict what another coach might have said in a PM, not to mention it denies the rest of the board an opportunity to learn as well. To the original poster, good luck and hope that dunno was able to help.

I would assume his pm was private in nature about their gym situation , otherwise he would have posted publicly.

I would say meet with the coach about the situation, scratch bars from the next meet until back to normal.

Scratching bars (and any other events she is struggling with) is a good option, as long as it is presented to her (by her coaches) as a way to help her and not as a punishment. My DD had to do this at the beginning of her level 7 season... 1st meet was coming, she didn't feel ready, and she pretty much imploded, losing just about all over her skills overnight. Coaches took bars and beam off the table for the first meet, made her tell them some specific, non-score-related goals for the other two events, and told her to focus on those. She wasn't happy not to compete all-around, but she also saw it as something that was being done for her benefit and not something punitive. She went on to have a kick-butt level 7 season.

Good luck to you and your DD. This sport is SO hard and being a level 9 (even a struggling level 9) is a pretty awesome achievement!

Can your daughter do the Level 8 routine on bars for now? It seems that she shouldn't drop back a level if she is able to compete the other events.

My daughter does not have a full Level9 routine so competes what she can.

Also, you say she wants to switch gyms. Not sure of any of her history but it seems extreme to switch gyms out of the blue especially at Level 9 unless there have been other issues all along.

My dd who is also a L 9 too has had a rough few weeks on bars because of breaking in new grips plus her skills right now are still inconsistent. These skills are completely new to her from last year doing L8.
She came home totally frustrated and didn't know if she should just use her old grips which are way stretched out or keep breaking in her new grips even though she couldn't do her routine with them. So I was at a loss as to how to help so of course I got out my kindle and searched on chalk bucket any info on this. I did get some useful advice in a post from dunno and others which made her feel better and I emailed her coaches to let them know she needed their guidance. For me I keep being her support and listening knowing this is the upper levels and she will be here at 9 for awhile. Hang in there and I hope you're dd behind to get in a better groove with bars.

She has been unhappy with her gym and coach since the end of the summer. Something happened last week to refuel her frustrations about her coach. I don't think she would care if she had to scratch bars but I think the situation more likely be that she will have to compete as a level 8. This is just adds more stress since she wants to compete 9 so badly.

She has been unhappy with her gym and coach since the end of the summer. Something happened last week to refuel her frustrations about her coach. I don't think she would care if she had to scratch bars but I think the situation more likely be that she will have to compete as a level 8. This is just adds more stress since she wants to compete 9 so badly.

Oh wow that does make it that much harder when there is a wall between her and the coach. Any way to sit down and have a heart to heart with you, her and the coach? Maybe they can set out what each of their expectations for the season are and clear up some frustration. Hugs to you as you all go through this.

I really don't have too many words of wisdom. I have found that when my DD is getting frustrated it is better if I don't ask about it too often. But that is because the more she talks the more upset she gets.

I hope this passes!! {{Hugs}}

I really don't have too many words of wisdom. I have found that when my DD is getting frustrated it is better if I don't ask about it too often. But that is because the more she talks the more upset she gets.

I hope this passes!! {{Hugs}}
I have found the same....I kind of stay out of gym and she likes to keep what happens at the gym there. Once in a while, she'll tell me but mostly I mind my own business!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back