Parents Low body fat

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Body fat and puberty are related. Just as body fat and periods are. As a society kids are becoming more sedentary and heavier, puberty is starting earlier. Women with eating disorders, periods stop, etc.....

Sister and I, neither of us athletes as children, but active. Same parents. She carried more body fat, I was more muscle. She began puberty at 10. I at 14.

Its really impossible to tease out specifically, chicken or egg thing.

Its probably less about "gymnastics" and more about just plain being active vs more sedentary.

From what I have seen with our girls in the gym. 11/12 change starts. Perhaps not full blown. But it starts. My kid still muscle, no huge growth spurt yet. But where she carries her weight has shifted. As with most of the girls.

Body fat and puberty are related. Just as body fat and periods are. As a society kids are becoming more sedentary and heavier, puberty is starting earlier. Women with eating disorders, periods stop, etc.....

Sister and I, neither of us athletes as children, but active. Same parents. She carried more body fat, I was more muscle. She began puberty at 10. I at 14.

Its really impossible to tease out specifically, chicken or egg thing.

Its probably less about "gymnastics" and more about just plain being active vs more sedentary.

From what I have seen with our girls in the gym. 11/12 change starts. Perhaps not full blown. But it starts. My kid still muscle, no huge growth spurt yet. But where she carries her weight has shifted. As with most of the girls.
My sister and I were both athletes / active as kids. I was MUCH heavier than her. She hit puberty well before I did. Heck, my dad STILL tells me that I should start developing any day now ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back