Lowest Score ever?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think the lowest score DD got was a 5.8. It was on bars, Level 6. It was state qualifier. We were feeling pretty good...

She fell on her squat on but did a stupe circle, Then another, then another then another.. a total of 4.. The first was was a freebie the others were considered falls.

In Level 5, she did 3 Back handsprings in her floor routine, I think that was a 6.0, another state qualifier!

In her first Level 7 meet she mounted the beam facing the wrong way and instead of just doing a 1/2 turn she stopped, looked at the judge and asked if she could start over.. she got a 7.0 (not too bad! LOL)

They were all Silly mistakes that she wouldnt do again because she has learned soo much by competing!

One of my guys, at his first Level 5 meet, got up on pommel horse and did the first half of the level 4 routine. He then stopped, sat on the horse, said "sorry," and started the level 5 routine.

He got a 1.0. It was a negative score on paper, but judges (at least in boys' JO) are not allowed to give anybody a score lower than 1.0.

It Happens.

1's and 4's? Seriously if kids are getting scores like that, they obviously have no business doing that level. What is the point of that? Other than embarrassing the kids I have no idea why the coaches would put the kids through that. I can't imagine it's all that fun to go to a meet and get a 1 or a 4. If my kid was getting a 1 or a 4, I'd change gyms, the coaches clearly don't have a clue.

My DD received a 3.6 (or around there :)) on floor at her level 6 state meet. She touched her hand on her aerial and then tripped on a ripple in the floor going in to her final tumbling pass. Not knowing what to do, she didn't do the whole last pass of her routine and just sort of ended somewhere around the end of her music.

Prior to this meet she had averaged above a 9.0 on her floor routine and in fact won bars and finished second on beam at the same meet. All she would have needed to win the state all around was an 8.0. So, you see, you can't be too sure the kid isn't ready. Sometimes things just happen.

Two months later, she competed level 7 and went on to be a nice level 10 until injuries got the best of her. She's now a gymnastics coach.

By the way, she competed bars and won AFTER floor. I don't think I was ever prouder of her. It took a lot to pick herself up and go on.

My gymmie's lowest score(to date---hope this doesn't jinx her) was a 6.2 on beam as a L5. I thought she would be very upset, but she and one of best friends on team(who scored like a 6.6) came out giggling. They had an incredibly long wait to rotate to beam(last event) and some of them stretched out on mats and fell asleep! So, basically they woke up from a nap and rather sleepily tried to do beam:)

Okay try to beat this one. Last meet little Bog, crashed on her vault (like level 4 USAG). She got 0.0. Her previous comp she came 9th out of 40 with an 11.1.
So these things really do happen. All her warm up vaults were great, but she was first up on the first apparatus in the whole comp, the stress got to her and splat.:eek: We didn't keep the video!

a girl i used to compete with was never a very high scorer in level 4 but the coaches let her go to level 5

at the first meet of level 5 she competed all 4 events and tied with a girl on my team who did only 3 events

One of my guys, at his first Level 5 meet, got up on pommel horse and did the first half of the level 4 routine. He then stopped, sat on the horse, said "sorry," and started the level 5 routine.

He got a 1.0. It was a negative score on paper, but judges (at least in boys' JO) are not allowed to give anybody a score lower than 1.0.

Haha, I saw one girl forget the second half of her floor routine and just freeze for like ten seconds, then yell sorry and started again! Can't remember her score though, I didn't actually know her. She didn't seem to bothered by it either.

DD got a 6.7 on beam. It was her first level 4 meet. She didn't even fall off!!!

One of my dd's friends last year was doing the level 5 floor routine. Somewhere in the middle she just lost focus and completely forgot where she was. She just started over from the beginning and finished way after the music. Don't remember the score, but to this day they still crack up over it.

Then also last year my dd was doing her floor routine (level 5) and she was sick. On her back extension roll she fell into a bridge and then went to kick over but didn't make it and just splatted into the middle of the floor and just laid there a few seconds. She still ended up with a 7.5 I think - but we just laughed about it saying at no point in your routine should you be laid out in the middle of the floor doing nothing.

These experiences don't harm them for life - it actually toughens them up and teaches them how to deal with the unexpected during a competition.

Wow, this is a really sensitive subject! There are definitely parents and coaches out there who move girls up that are not ready. And yes, they all have bad days and bad practices. But if a gymnast is consistently scoring low at each meet, then she is not ready for the level she's at. Otherwise, why score them!? It's like saying that we aren't going to give grades at school anymore and everyone can move on to the next grade whether they are ready or not! It's a tool for evaluating their progress and should be treated as such. The parents are responsible for not placing so much emphasis on the placement at each meet, but rather on their own child achieving her own personal goals which should be showing improvement at each meet. But if a gymnast is scoring 31's or 32's AA or lower at all of her meets, she has no business moving to the next level. It's humiliating and frustrating for her. And parents need to realize that they have to be unconditional in their love and approval and learn when to back off.

I remember in an interview with Mary Lou Retton, she was talking about how Nadia Comaneci and how she was her idol, and mentioned that in her first meet she got a 1.0 and she shouted she got a 10 just like Nadia, and her poor coach had to tell her it wasn't, lol.

I think my lowest score was on bars and it was like a 7.025 or somewhere around there. but i fell off twice and almost crashed into the high bar* fun fun * lol

My dds lowest was a 3.3 on bars her first time doing level 4 she still qualified for state though.

Of course every meet she went to her score went up which showed her more that she can improve no matter what her score was and she never dwelled on her scores either. Maybe she shouldnt have competed but it gave her experience and helped her learn how to handle the good and the bad.
I did see a 1.0 today at level 10 regionals of course it was a girl that got injured and didnt finish so that probably doesnt count

my lowest score was a 6.4 on beam back in like 1999 (hah i feel old)... it was my very first level 5 meet, and our coach didnt show up, so we had like a sub coach swoop in and take over just in time... i think it kind of shook us all up, considering it was our FIRST meet as level 5's we were already freaking out... anyways, beam was our first event too, and i fell on my handstand and my cartwheel lol i was so upset

My lowest score was in level 5...I got a 4 something on bars. I fell on my backhip circle, which is something I never do. The temperature at the meet was about 32 degrees so it was pretty cold in there...we wore our warmup leos under our comp leos to try to keep some warmth, lol. I've also had a couple 5.5's...mostly from falls on beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back