Lowest Score ever?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think one of the best things a graduating level 8 said at DD gym was that the reason she was able to stay in gymnastics, even at the end, was because she didn't put to much focus on the scores. She knew level 8 was as high as she would probably go, but she didn't obsess about her scores and continued to have fun. Sometimes she did well, other times not as well, but she focused on all the good things - the fun, the friends, and the person that gymnastics made her. Scores aren't everything.

worst score i ever got was a 1.0 on beam as a level 7. i'd placed top 3 in state for level 6 the year before, (it was the year before i went to tops national camp) and usually got 8s in beam routines (my worst event). a few weeks before i'd gotten ear surgery. i have a lot of inner ear probs (where your balance is controlled kinda) and get nasty infections. every so often they have to go in and put tubes through my ears (it's pretty common w/ little kids, i was 8 so on the older side, but i still get them from time to time). anyway, for some reason the tubes wouldnt come out. i'd taken a little time off after the original surgery but had got back to training before finding out i'd need a minor surgery to get them out. a lot of people didn't want me to compete, but i was dead set on it. the second i got on the beam i was so dizzy an dirsoriented i fell off. i tried my mount again, barely made it up then fell before i could start anything else. my coach had to literally pull me off. heh heh, oops. i guess i needed another week of recouping. oh well.

Ok, time for a more complete response to GymMom68.

First of all, if you are neither a judge, coach, or gymnast, you are in no position to make that call.

Second of all, sometimes a kid has a bad day. I've seen kids capable of excellent routines have really off days, which can happen for any number of reasons. We had one girl at our gym a few years ago was doing absolutely flawless beam routines the week before a meet. At the meet, she fell SIX times. She busted out laughing after the sixth one, and completely trashed what was left of her routine. She had a bad day, but no harm done (I don't remember her score).

Third of all, some judges are very tough. Look at the code of points sometime, and especially look at bars. Keep in mind that many experienced judges are so good at watching these routines that they might as well be watching them in slow-mo. Combine an off-day with a tough judge in a bad mood, and sub-5 scores can happen.

Fourth of all, some kids do completely different routines in meets than they do in practice. Some do better, some do worse. And some will do much better at one meet and completely terrible at the next.

In the (about) two and a half years I've been coaching girls, the lowest score I can positively remember any of my girls getting at a meet is a 6.2. I'm sure there are judges in this state that would have given that particular routine a MUCH lower score. Was it because this girl didn't have any business at the level she was at? No. It was becasue she was having an exceptionally bad day.

In the four years I've been coaching boys, I've seen a number of 1.0 scores. Heck, I got several myself when I was competing. And the judges aren't ALLOWED to give you less than a 1.0, so those may well have been negative scores on paper.

Low scores happen. Life goes on.

THANKS SO MUCH! I had a bad bad bad day yesterday, I scored the worst in my team, two 6.4s. I didn't understand; last meet I came in 3rd place and scored the best by over a point in my team. Whenever I think about it I want to burst out crying :( . But reading this made me feel sooooo good :)

Pickle's lowest was a 6.3 on bars. She came in 107th (out of 132 in the meet). It was her very first event at her very first meet and her entire body was shaking. Her personal best on beam that season was 9.6.

Her gym is pretty strict and they won't let girls compete unless they really think they have all the skills. I've seen girls from other gyms compete floor but maybe not have the entire tumbling pass or do bars without the kip, but her gym owner things that reflects poorly on the gym and won't let it happen. Her coach also will scratch girls if the balk during vault warmup.

I was at a meet where a girl fell off beam at least 5 times and burst out laughing. I think her score was a 3.something. I was so pleased that she could maintain a sense of humor and not just completely lose it and run off the floor. If I were her mom, I would have been very proud.

5.0 on beam at my first level 5 meet, I only fell twice :rolleyes:. The next meet I had 1 fall and a 5.3. I finished off the season with a no fall beam routine for a 6.45. It wasn't a good beam season to say the least.

My lowest score ever is a 6.8 on bars at our intersquad last November for level 7. My casts and clearhip were really low, I missed my giant, and I finished with the level 6 high bar :). So I didn't have enough B's or a cast handstand, and I might have even missed the B for my clearhip. I also hyper-extended my knee falling out of my giant and that made me fall on beam... it was bad. :)

My lowest score was a 4.0 on bars on level 5. No falls. Let me tell you, that takes some serious talent. It was the first year in the new cycle with a completely revamped routine; it was the first time that there were tap swings and an underswing to tap swings in the L5 routine. I did a kip to my ribs, FHC to my ribs, omitted the cast on LB, kipped to my ribs on the HB, swung swung swung my legs before doing an archy cast, and flopped my way through the rest of the routine. Standards were much different back then... the year that I was a L5, a 36 was incredibly rare, and a 34-35 was a really competitive score.

My daughter has not competed yet she is only 6. One thing I am sure is going to happen is the first time she competes will be low scores. For gymnasts to compete for the first time and don't know what to expect are probably very nervous and don't know how a meet goes. I hear a lot of people say that it takes a while to get used to meets especially if you don't do them very often.

A 5 on beam.
It was the first time i had ever traveled, my second time competing beam as a level 7, and I had a really bad headache. I fell on all my major skills and had lots of wobbles:rolleyes: But other than that I get high 7's on beam mostly. My problem is connecting my series and nervers:)

the lowest score i have ever had was this year on bars, i got a 4.8 ... the reason? i hit my head and had a concusion the week before and i didn't know it and i blacked out in my routine and forgot what i was doing. that was level 8... haha now i look back like 6 months later and just laugh

I got a 6.8 on bars in level 4..haha i think i fell and i just suck at bars so yeah!

My lowest score was at my very first meet...I was a level 5 and it was a practice meet at a different gym. The judges were not allowed to give anything below a 6 because it was just practice to do the routines in front of judges. I got a 6.4 on bars.... my really good friend got a 6. I had no idea what was really going on so I didn't care, I was just happy I didn't get a 0 :)

My lowest score was a 9.55 on beam (this is the new scoring system - start values range from 13.2-13.9 for me on beam) - funnily enough that was without a fall.

Problem was I did a really bad leap series (split leap-cat leap) and my cat leap ended up being so tiny that i didn't get credit for it. Consequently I did not get the series (.5 off my SV), and did not have the required amount of skills, which was another .1 off for the element value of the A skill PLUS another full point neutral deduction for each skill you are missing.
Without that my score would have been 11.15 which isn't too bad for me. I'm not exactly a beam queen;)

My daughter got a 7.1 on bars, and was CRUSHED!! It wasn't a good routine by any means, but the judges were especially hard on our gym for some reason. Oh well, it was definitely better than the first time she competed it, so I was proud of her.

One of my L5 gymnasts managed to score a 0.375 on beam. She fell on her mount and refused to finish and complete her routine. Thankfully, she was able to laugh at it later.

omg ok so this is really embarresing i once got a 1.0 on floor and when they flashed the score i thought it was a 10.0 so i was jumping up and down and screaming. i was 5 and it was on bars

omg ok so this is really embarresing i once got a 1.0 on floor and when they flashed the score i thought it was a 10.0 so i was jumping up and down and screaming. i was 5 and it was on bars

..wait, was it on bars or floor? haha

my lowest score was a 6.8 on floor in level 5. I was just having a bad day..:p

In the UK one you get to modified FIG level then FIG requirements are applied - e.g on bars flight from high bar to low bar, flight from low bar to high bar, flight on same bar, 360 piroette. A lot of gymnasts have D values in from 1 - 3. Scores of 3-5 are not uncommon with the open scoring system.

Apart from that I saw many low low bars scores at grades competitions this year on bars at low levels. Baby giants and tap swings can have many deductions and if they are all taken...scores of 4 and 5 (out of 13.5 for a set routine).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back