WAG MAGA-minnesota

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone know anything about Maga Gymnastics in Minnesota, specifically Minnetonka?
Has anyone switched to MAGA from JO?

I looked it up to see if it was simolar to the more amateur league in my state, but the website hasn't been updated in a couole of years.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Yeah, my coach also coaches our MAGA team. I never competed it, but I have friends who do. I dont know about in Minnetonka, but maga's a goid program to be in for new gymmies:) Is there anything specific that you wanted to know about maga in general?

I know of the MAGA program - it seems like high school gymnastics rules to me. From what I have been told, the score starts at a "0" and you work your way up based on the skills you do (each skill is worth a certain number of points). Higher level skills are worth more, so low-sounding scores like a 6 or a 7 might actually be pretty good. It is not necessarily recreational depending on how your gym uses it - I have seen some gyms treat it the same as USAG JO programs, and some take it as completely recreational.

^^^Right on. It's pretty much high school scoring. So a gymnast doing MAGA can be great on floor, throwing double fulls and stiff, but they can only have a kip on bars. They also don't have any required skills, for example for level 5 (old level 6), you need a ro bhs tuck, but on MAGA, you don't have any required skills. As long as you have a front element, a back element, acro series, jump series, a connected jump and acro on floor, that's a routine.

I competed MAGA in MN. I think it is a great program. Yes it is the High School Scoring. If you plan on doing HS gym then it is a great program to get in to. I think the new Xcel program is similar to MAGA. And it is much easier/ more fun if you are stronger on a few events but not others.

Most MAGA clubs have some connection with a high school program as they usually feed from that program to High School team. I think it stands for Minnesota Amateur Gymnastics Association and it is very similar to what USAG has done and now calls X-Cel. I think it is a very well run program and kids who do it like it as the above poster has said you do not need the same level skills on each event.

Will this program remain when USAG nationalizes Xcel this upcoming season? Most states are replacing their existing "prep op" leagues with the national Xcel format. I'll see if MN USAG has anything online about this.

I know it's a different league but it seems like it will be hard to continue if many gyms start using Xcel? I just checked MN USAG and they definitely have a page about Xcel.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back