MAG Major mental block.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

klunt

Gymnast
A few days ago I was working just plain simple Arabians on the tumble track. I went to do it but I twisted the Arabian before I even landed my handspring. I went to go try again but I balked...ON THE HANDSPRING! I tried for hours just to do a round off handspring but I couldn't do it! My mind tricks me into thinking I'm setting up for a twisting pass, which absolutely horrifies me now, so then I feel like I'm going to twist the handspring and then I end up balking or crashing on my back. It's gotten so bad then I can't even do a standing handspring anymore without freaking out. I have a HUGE meet this weekend (Peter Vidmar in California) so I have very little time to fix it. I've actually been losing sleep and having anxiety attacks because I'm stressing out so much. PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!

No good advice for the twisties, though I am sure some coaches will help out. But you have to take the pressure off yourself. Nothing at all good can come of it. It's one meet, and if you are having trouble with one event at one meet in the course of a long and successful gymnastics career, try to keep it in perspective. It's NOT states, it's NOT regionals, it's NOT nationals, and everything you do is just preparation for the meets that matter. Take a deep breath and try to lower the stakes for yourself.

Thanks! I know this is a super late reply but I fixed the twisting issue. I actually placed second on floor at the meet :)

I know this is a little late as I see the date but I too had some mental blocks on my Arabian I would turn but not flip. I acted like it was a back half and even at one point acted like it was just a layout and then twisted. Eventually after doing them like that for a while I would slowly get them earlier so it was more of a Arabian

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back