Make It or Break It --- ABC Family --- June 22nd 9/8c

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Rate "Make It or Break It" using the scale below.

• Gold

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Silver

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • Bronze

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • ....didn't even qualify to state.

Votes: 42 41.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sure it's a part of what pays the bills.

Even I don't know if it is a paid ad. I can only assume that it is as we do not accept unpaid advertising here. This board is very expensive to host, we mods are not paid, we need all the help we can get.

Even I don't know if it is a paid ad. I can only assume that it is as we do not accept unpaid advertising here. This board is very expensive to host, we mods are not paid, we need all the help we can get.
Yup, that was my point even if the MIBI ad isn't paid. Despite I have not been here that long and don't know any of the generous crew members, I do speculate the high cost and the massive (free) labor involved. It's a great thing that you guys (and gals ;)) are doing for the gymnastics community. I can relate (sorta) as a volunteer myself but I don't do anywhere close to what your staff does. To speak for myself, your work is greatly appreciated.:applause:

Thanks Chanwmr. There are only four mods on this board. The owner/admin and his wife are very busy with their very young family and work and they drop in when they can. I know for a fact that JBS and Audra have carried this place finanacially for quite a few years and JBS has done an amazing job keeping this place online.

I love what the CB has become, but it does require a lot of time and commitment from us all. I am just happy when the money comes in to keepus online.

Your appreciation is wonderful and is what makes up keep going. The massive growth we have experienced in the last year is fabulous, but keeps us on our toes, even during the summer when other folks enjoy downtime.

The show kind of seems like a crummy rip-off of Stick It, in that it's got the newcomer, inconsistent star (Emily=Hayleigh), and the whiny, totally "awesome" antagonist (Lauren=JoAnn), and then some random girls who aren't sure where to stand.

that's exactly what i was thinking. it was a total fail if they were trying to copy stick it. plus, the skills aren't good enough for olympic qualifications, let alone nationals. there's just no way, it's totally unrealistic. i'll keep watching, just to see if it gets better.
but oh well, they tried. :)

Just watched Episode 7 last night. Other than a couple of corny (even weird) scenes it's one of the best ones thus far. It certainly contains both feel good and touchy moments. Probably 3.5 stars out of 5 (4=must watch). That's pretty good for a teenage tv drama FWIW.

Boo to Lauren as always. Kudos to Damon for not pulling a Carter ( for risking ruining the gf's dream). Why were the scene with Sasha/Emily and Sasha/Emily's mom (particularly the former) written or acted out that way? Were those necessary?

THe Sasha/Emily scene made me very uncomfortable, hope that's not going anywhere. I prefer the show when there are no meets as they are so unrealistic. It is a shame that they didn't spend an hour getting to know the Elite system in the US before they wrote it, it would've given the whole show a an air of relveancy.

I get that they want an older audience, but I think it is the 9-14's who would be most interested in the subject matter, but to deal with issues that parents deem as too mature may take them out of the market and off the air.

i think some stuff that's already happened in the show so far is too mature for that age group

especially because there are so many girls in that age group who do gymnastics!

p.s. what does ITA mean?

I keep hoping its going to get better but ABC Family's "smash hit" I think is just getting worse and worse. Not realistic at all. And I've given up on any type of real gymnastic story thread happening. I think I'm about done watching this "family" drama.

The network is called "ABC FAMILY" and the subject matter on several of their shows this season is far from "FAMILY" appropriate. I don't know what age group they are hoping would watch this show but its the 10 - 14 yo that want to see this and secret life. Stop the sex soap opra story lines and put in something the whole family can watch with out parents having to censor or explain what and why these story lines are going on.

I've never seen so many supposed teen shows with such an focus on sex and back stabing amoung teens. Hey ABC teens do have other interests that occupy their day and most have a great moral compass Lets see a show with that in it.

I thought that I read before that the target audience for ABC Family is like 15 and up.

I do not watch Secret Life, dd does (she'll be 13 in Sept.), but I do watch MIoBI and although they have talked about sex, there has also been the message of waiting, follow your dreams, sex will be there later kind of theme but you only have this shot at your goal now sort of thing. I wouldn't say it is all negative in this regard. JMO. :eek:

I have given up drawing correlation between "Family" and the name "ABC Family". It's not any different than "Disney" in "Disney Channel". It's rare that you can find innocence in the songs they play. It's the way they market everything now. At least MIBI is a real show and not like anyone of these reality tv series that take next no money to produce and show very little talent from all angles.

come on guys! tons of drama TV scripts never make it to a big film company like ABC family! kudooz to the writer! and i dont think it puts a negitive light on gymnastics. If you going to "eat mat, eat mat hard" it just show the determination of these girls!!!! ....i also love how the show dosnt focus 100% about gymnastics they let the ordinary american see how they DO HAVE LIVES outside of a gym...and sorry parents its NOT unrealistic...those girls are teenagers....sex and alcohol and cat fights are something most girls (& boys) are just being exposed to around that age (or younger) it dosnt have to be a negitive thing, abc family isnt putting out a bad message they are just being real and the kids understand that, it wont be missunderstood by the children who watch it. its a GOLD for me!!!

I disagree with the girls' lives being realistic. I would consider myself a normal teenage girl, and I've never felt any pressure to have sex or do drugs/alcohol. Now some would say I must only hang out with 'good' kids then, but I don't. Not all of my friends are the best students, etc. But the majority of people I know are not being pressured in the ways the show depicts. I think the show is quite unrealistic in a multitude of ways, the same goes for Secret Life. Do I watch both? Yes. My friends and I think they're absolutely hilarious (here's the key...look at it not as a drama but more of a comedic satire...you'll be laughing then!)

Maybe I need to start a thread about this. Our gym makes the girls clean & set up equipment for the next day. I thought this was pretty common at most gyms? It's not done as punishment, just part of usual day (when they have the last practice of the day). You mean other gyms don't do this? As a paying parent I have resented my DD & her team mates being used as free labor. But I've kept my resentment to myself all of these years.

Well when my gym was p.o.p. and I was on the homeschool team we had to clean the kitchen, lobby, party room, clean up all the mats, clean the bathroom and etc. but that was just becuase our coach was lazy and she said since we were there all day that it was our job to clean it. Oh and we would always have to pick up after her girls who were 4 and 2 that was so annoying. They did not know how to pick up anything themselves. So I just threw there stuff away they didn't pick up hahhaha.

I love the show, sure it might not be so much about gymnastics. But I still love it :) hahahaha, I think it's getting better. I always can't wait untill mondays :) hahaha. But yeah like no one at my gym watches it but I i love ittttt. Almost more the secret life haha, secret life is making mad because amy is annoyingg she crys over everything lol

i think it is getting better and better every time. i think it is pritty realistic bcus teenagers can b pressured with boyfriends, alcohol, ect. im not saying i ever hav ben pressured and idk if i ever will but i can and dus happen. and it also shows the struggle that sum familys hav to keep there children in gymnastics if it is something they really want to do. it can also show u between rite and wrong. although i do not think the acting is the best. and i can say it get cheesy at some points, but over all i luv the show.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back