WAG Maroney video

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

To talk NCAA drama please start a new thread. Lets keep this on track to some degree.

My point in my statement is that while we all may be horrified at what Maroney has to say about what goes on at many a club with regards to treatment of an athlete, if you think it stops once your child leaves their insulated club world and moves on to college gym, think again...it is an industry wide issue, from start to finish.

My point in my statement is that while we all may be horrified at what Maroney has to say about what goes on at many a club with regards to treatment of an athlete, if you think it stops once your child leaves their insulated club world and moves on to college gym, think again...it is an industry wide issue, from start to finish.

No that is not an issue, nor my point. Just if people want to discuss the wider topic of NCAA craziness I would prefer it to be in another thread. Touching on it here in passing is fine.

Okay. I watched the video. I don't see anything out of the ordinary, and I'm I know a bit of a prude, but the only thing I questioned was her attire. I guess I am not wanting to accept that she is growing up.
But about what she mentioned. Did anyone here think elite training at Olympic level is in any way all flowers and roses. The abuse or lack of care unfortunately is the norm when you look at that level of gymnastics. I am not condoning it by any means, bUT I didn't hear anything that I could say, "Wow! I don't believe that!" It comes with the territory. It's awful to say that but take a hard look. It is very true. If a parent, and there are many, are Pushing that Olympic dream, be very careful about what you wish for. You just might get it and tons more that you never wanted.
Simone has an extraordinary experience with her coach I'm sure. That is not the norm. I think what would make a world of difference is if USA gymnastics mandated that all coaches take courses in child psychology. Yeah! Like that is going to happen. The child isn't the child but the Product.
Ditto on the attire, I found myself asking "where are her pants?"

...then I realized I sounded like my grandmother

I think she did an amazing job sharing her story, she has such a sweet bubbly personality that we really haven't seen before (now we know why...she basically wasn't "allowed" to have a personality). The way she described everything though is just a testimate to how "normal" these situations are. Meaning the way she was trained and treated is the norm, (not that it's ok), but her way of describing it made me 100% understand her. I get it, I wasn't a gymnast but I was in a highly competitive sport, where coaches tell you you need to loose weight, or you get in trouble if you don't train hard enough, or try hard enough. Its hardly a positive thing but it's reality, and the more this is let out into the open the better. It's absolutely realistic and she is so real and raw you feel like she's talking directly to you.

Someone asked if older gymmie's should watch this....aside from the fact that they say "****" a couple times, I don't see why little gymmies can't watch it either. The truth is important, and kids need to know when something isn't going the way it's supposed to. Honestly, the earlier your gymnast learns this the better.

My heart aches for her, but at the same time, she has no regrets, she just wants the world to know that gymnastics is great...you can do anything you set your mind to, and it does NOT have to be done negatively, and that makes her an exceptional role model.

Go McKayla go!

Okay.
Simone has an extraordinary experience with her coach I'm sure. That is not the norm. I think what would make a world of difference is if USA gymnastics mandated that all coaches take courses in child psychology. Yeah! Like that is going to happen. The child isn't the child but the Product.
Well this could be why Simone Biles is the athlete she is. Perhaps other coaches out there should take a listen? Just a thought. I am ignorant on all this.

Like all of you - its sad that these outstanding amazing athletes have to go through this.

I thought she spoke very well, with pose and intelligence about this tough topic. She was able to be political yet get the point across.

Honestly I am not surprised at some of the stuff she said. I'm sure this happens in many competitive sports programs.

She is a beautiful gymnast inside and out. Good luck in the next part of your life..

Nothing in that video leads me to believe there was any intent by Maroney's coach to inflict any emotional harm on her. In fact, it sounded to me like he cared about her greatly, and she for him. His arsonal of tools for coaching came from his own childhood experience, and in fact he felt she was "lucky" at how good she had it. Imagine how hard he must have had it as a child athlete. It's a cycle. I'm finding I have compassion for him in light of this video, he's been slapped in the face.

To me this is a parental, not a coaching, issue. As her training was causing her emotional and physical harm, her parents should have stepped in. They couldn't see what was going on? They were okay with this? The injuries she's endured are remarkable, did they think this was all normal and appropriate?

No doubt, anyone even considering this path for their child should listen to this interview. Imagine all the girls enduring this lifestyle that never even make it to this level.

Last edited:
She is an amazing woman. Very sad interview in a lot of ways. I have a 15 year old that I will let watch it tonight. I will not be letting my younger dd watch it yet though.

To me this is a parental, not a coaching, issue. As her training was causing her emotional and physical harm, her parents should have stepped in. They couldn't see what was going on? They were okay with this? The injuries she's endured are remarkable, did they think this was all normal and appropriate?

And this is the crux of the issue in the difference between club/JO and college Gymnastics for medical issues.... While as a parent you can see things that aren't normal or appropriate, there is zero you can do about it in NCAA... So if your kid has an injury, documented by say your home doctor ( and you will be punished for going out of the circle, BTW), don't think for a second that things will happen as before ( I.E xrays, PT, rest)... Many trainers answer to the head coach ( read: who controls their continued employment) so the tape 'em up and put them out mentality prevails....I'm sorry but trainers should answer to medical people, period.

Yes, for sure! The parents become part of the problem when they allow these types of behaviors. Unfortunately, it's a cycle where some parents start to see it as the norm as well. There is a line in the movie Pretty Girls in Little Boxes where the coach shouts to the mom that it's his job to coach her daughter and it's her job to be her parent. The point being that it's his job to push all of the limits to get the elite gymnast to her potential, but it's the parents job to protect the child from harm that could come from his pushing. I'll never forget that.

Yes, for sure! The parents become part of the problem when they allow these types of behaviors. Unfortunately, it's a cycle where some parents start to see it as the norm as well. There is a line in the movie Pretty Girls in Little Boxes where the coach shouts to the mom that it's his job to coach her daughter and it's her job to be her parent. The point being that it's his job to push all of the limits to get the elite gymnast to her potential, but it's the parents job to protect the child from harm that could come from his pushing. I'll never forget that.

At the same time though, kids don't always WANT to tell their parents what their coach is doing....you get in the mindset that tattling on your coach is going to get you in a lot of trouble, and possibly make things worse.
Also, she was clearly trained to believe all of this was normal....if you read Dominique's book, a lot of her and McKayla's "rules" they had to follow were eerily similar....like honestly the recounts of their stories are almost word for word.

As a serious athlete, you're trained to be obedient and not question what your coaches ask you to do...your parents keep bringing you to practice, and paying your tuition so you figure nothing is wrong.

Also, it's not super easy to notice symptoms. Gymnasts are little as it is, with not a lot of body fat anyway, so it's not going to be as easy to notice if she has poor nutrition.
And if your coach is telling you to stop being lazy, and stop making up injuries while you're in the gym, you aren't going to go behind your coach's back and tell your parents you have an injury

I'm not saying this is always the case, I'm just giving examples of how it's not always easy for the parents to simply realize something is wrong.

The parents can sometimes be "ignoring by accident", because they honestly don't know anything is wrong.

Again, not that this makes it all ok, just pointing out its not as easy as it seems....although I wish it was.

Talk about be careful what you wish for. A coach who is trained in psychology could have the capacity to do even more damage than one who isn't. Trust me.
I was just speaking on my own experience. I have a psychology degree and do feel that it helps me understand my students. But I understand it could be the opposite. That is so unfortunate.

"No doubt, anyone even considering this path for their child should listen to this interview. Imagine all the girls enduring this lifestyle that never even make it to this level"

Far Too many parents are everywhere with Stars in their eyes. There is so much talk about this. I too don't think if the child is abused emotionally or physically that it is merely the coaches fault. I'm sorry but sending your kid to compete while seriously injured? What was wrong with her parents? Those stars got in the way.
I have personally seen gymnasts undergoing same negligence all because their parents are in the clouds , way in the clouds, hanging on to elite dreams that may Never happen. Not if the child keeps suffering injuries. And so many are. Now the emotional aspect? Wow! That is daunting !

Of course I watched it and I didn't indicate "condoning" anything. Where did I say that?

I simply pointed out that the experience of Elites may be far different than other athletes at the same gym. No where in my post did I say "and that's totally fine". It is not.

You are right you didn't condone anything. My apologies. Your remarks also did not say you had any problems with the issues Maroney was dealing with. I guess I was reading too much into your comments that, as you say, were merely stating matter-of-fact items I found obvious.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back