WAG Mary Lee Tracy Named New Elite Development Coordinator

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sounds like she is receiving threats and is going to resign. This makes me sad, she wasn't even given the option to start and prove herself. I just hope the gymternet doesn't drive Tom out as well. It's so easy to run people down and bring out all the things they've done in the past, but not one person has offered up any other viable solutions. I guess they really do just want to see USAG burned to the ground, and damn with the consequences or whose dreams get crushed along the way.
You are extremely fortunate that you have had a largely positive experience for your daughter, and she is in a positive gym environment. I’m not sure you can imagine how very hard it has been for some children who were in abusive gym situations with very few options. USAG has really failed these children. No one wants to crush any dreams, but think of the countless children who have suffered from these situations. You can’t even imagine how many extremely talented children quit because they couldn’t handle the environment anymore. And that’s the least of some of their troubles. Crushed dreams indeed.

KP is really trolling the gymnastics community now - just look at the press release! :confused::confused::confused:

MLT says she was sacked for reaching out to Aly and Aly has spoken out about how she has been treated by USAG - this tweet is a masterful text of hypocrisy
USA Gymnastics‏Verifierat konto @USAGym
USA Gymnastics has asked Mary Lee Tracy to resign from the elite development coordinator role. We strongly believe in a culture that encourages our athletes and survivors to speak up and make their voices heard.
15:17 - 31 aug. 2018​
https://twitter.com/USAGym/status/1035652714489950213

Apparently MLT is consulting her lawyers!

You are extremely fortunate that you have had a largely positive experience for your daughter, and she is in a positive gym environment. I’m not sure you can imagine how very hard it has been for some children who were in abusive gym situations with very few options. USAG has really failed these children. No one wants to crush any dreams, but think of the countless children who have suffered from these situations. You can’t even imagine how many extremely talented children quit because they couldn’t handle the environment anymore. And that’s the least of some of their troubles. Crushed dreams indeed.
My heart breaks for all of the athletes who have had to endure any sort of abuse to try and reach their dreams, that should never, ever happen under any circumstance. And I am thankful every single day for the gym and the coaches that Lily has, we have truly been blessed and we will never take it for granted.

Reactions: sce
KP is really trolling the gymnastics community now - just look at the press release! :confused::confused::confused:

MLT says she was sacked for reaching out to Aly and Aly has spoken out about how she has been treated by USAG - this tweet is a masterful text of hypocrisy
USA Gymnastics‏Verifierat konto @USAGym
USA Gymnastics has asked Mary Lee Tracy to resign from the elite development coordinator role. We strongly believe in a culture that encourages our athletes and survivors to speak up and make their voices heard.
15:17 - 31 aug. 2018​
https://twitter.com/USAGym/status/1035652714489950213

Apparently MLT is consulting her lawyers!

Just asking a question as a person very much unknowing about most of these names, etc. Have we confirmation that she was sacked for reaching out to Aly or is that what she was saying. It does sound very much like a lot of 1/2 truths from everyone in a time where they should all be more open and honest.

Just asking a question as a person very much unknowing about most of these names, etc. Have we confirmation that she was sacked for reaching out to Aly or is that what she was saying. It does sound very much like a lot of 1/2 truths from everyone in a time where they should all be more open and honest.
According to the follow up tweet to the one where she was asked to resign / sacked, it was that she reached out to Aly.

was that from KP or MLT?

MLT Resign tweet.jpg

KP ... she didn't mention Aly by name, but...

Ack! o_O I don’t know enough about the people or timelines or situations being discussed to add much to the conversation, but I will say the things I’m seeing posted on social media by USAG and MLT seem so unprofessional and make me feel embarrassed for gymnastics right now.

Ack! o_O I don’t know enough about the people or timelines or situations being discussed to add much to the conversation, but I will say the things I’m seeing posted on social media by USAG and MLT seem so unprofessional and make me feel embarrassed for gymnastics right now.
Exactly. These are the people that are supposed to lead us into the future?

No.

Seldom have I ever lost so much respect for somebody in such a short time as I have for Mary Lee Tracy over the last few days.

She defended Nassar after 50+ victims had come forward. This alone should have disqualified her from consideration for any sort of leadership role in USAG; however, I could understand that human nature is to resist realizations as horrifying as the one she was facing, and honestly I could forgive her as a person and as a coach if she had admitted error and apologized. Here is what she could have said:
"I was reluctant to face the possibility that this doctor, whom I trusted and to whom I had sent many of my athletes, may have been a serial abuser of children, possibly including my own athletes. I was wrong to defend him, and I apologize to those victims that were hurt by my defense of such a person."
Here's what she said instead:
"Here is my truth: I absolutely did that interview and spoke from my truth and experience only. I did this without ever negating anyone else's awful experience. I was fooled just like the survivors were along with many other coaches, he was a massive manipulator to ALL OF US! I am all about solutions and learning from the survivors, we can do this together!"
Short version: It's not my fault! Other people were fooled too! I was a victim!
(also, it irks me that, in a statement that should be about helping other people, literally every sentence starts with "I." It's all about her.)

When she was the recipient of massive backlash after being appointed to the position and was considering resigning the position, here is what she could have said:
"What's important now is that we listen to the athletes and the gymnastics community, in order to find a constructive way to move forward that puts our athletes' well-being first. If the victims, the athletes, and the coaching community feel that I am not the right person for this job, then I will listen to them and step down."
Here is what she said instead:
"“I’m at a point where – I’m strong lady, but I have a great family, and none of this is worth risking my family or watching what my family is going through right now while people are saying these awful things about me."
In short: I'm the victim here! It's not my fault!
(again, it's all about her)

When she made the (since-withdrawn) decision to resign her post, here's what she might have said:
"It has become clear that the victims and the broader coaching community feel that my appointment to this position keeps open certain wounds that must be allowed to heal. In defending Nassar in the past, I made the mistake of failing to listen to the victims and athletes; I will not repeat that mistake. I am therefore resigning."
Here is what she said instead:
"Kerry P gave me two options, to resign or be removed because I tried to contact Aly to apologize and hope we could work together to make our sport better and learn from all of the mistakes of the past. I was never informed that I was not permitted to speak to Ali or any of the survivors!"
In short: It's everybody else's fault but mine! I'm the victim here!
(are we detecting a pattern here?)

GT You’re hired

Yes.

Yes and for folks who expect little girls to be thick skinned and grown up and to put their big girl panties on...........

They are a lot of overly sensitive, stop picking on me types.

Yuck

Apart from whoever is guiding the camps, I still wonder why young girls need to attend those camps. Due to all the practices and meets, they already miss so much of normal life, adding a week a month away from home doesn't really help. Also; even more when parents are allowed to join, children that do not come from rich families have absolutely no chance. Must costs a fortune to travel and stay at or around camp each time and it makes it impossible to have a normal kind of job... Why not having smaller meet ups for those who do not train at a high class elite club? Have those girls train together during holidays or over weekends. Parents could even offer to have girls over for a few days, so no hotel costs ect. have to be paid. I know that is what they often do here, when girls need to train together for a meet or just get some different coaching. A camp once a year, maybe twice might be good, but more often doesn't really make sense to me. For older juniors and seniors I do see the point, but even then I feel a week a month is quite often. I can imagine girls burning out from all the traveling and adjusting every single time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back