Men more friendly than the women at VISA?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is it just me or are the men gymnasts, more friendly than the women? I was watcing the VISA championships and throughout each of the men's routines there were cheers from the other gymnasts. Then when they walked off they gave each other high-fives and hugs. But the girls had much less cheering, and walked by each other with nothing.

It bugged me the entire time I was watching. Sorry if it's just me, haha.

Also any predictions for the 2011 world team on both sides?

The guys are typically older and many of them are either currently competing NCAA or have competed NCAA in the past. So they are carrying the NCAA team environment over into USAG meets. You'll notice the older girls like Alicia and Mackenzie Caquatto are a little bit more vocally supportive of their teammates and other competitors.

They also don't really have the "team" aspect at U.S. Nationals. You'll notice at the Olympics because there is more of a team competition aspect, the girls are supportive of each other. Actually, the Americans are very reserved compared to the other teams in terms of congratulating their teammates. I remember an Italian basically forced A-Sac into a hug because nobody else was congratulating her.

I think the experience of competing NCAA is the biggest factor. Almost all of the men are either currently, or have completed their time, competing in college. Though there are a couple exceptions, most of the elite women either gave up their NCAA eligibility, or are teenagers who haven't yet gone to college. The NCAA competition atmosphere is so different from elite, much more cheering and teammate support.

The elite men's gymnastics community is also much smaller than the women's. There are very few places for the elite men to train at this level, so they know each other. The women are more scattered all across the country.

I've generally found attitudes to be more laid back on the guys side accross the board. From the bottom levels all the way to the top, from coaches to judges to gymnasts to parents, the men's side has always struck me as less catty, more personable, and more pleasant, especially at competitions.

I'm utterly baffled as to why this is.

And of course, there are exceptions all over the place.

I've generally found attitudes to be more laid back on the guys side accross the board. From the bottom levels all the way to the top, from coaches to judges to gymnasts to parents, the men's side has always struck me as less catty, more personable, and more pleasant, especially at competitions.

I'm utterly baffled as to why this is.

And of course, there are exceptions all over the place.

Yup. I haven't watched yet, but honestly it sounds pretty much in line with a trend seen at all levels of competitive gymnastics. Men's programs are much smaller and people tend to know each other more as well, for longer amounts of time. Always in communication and trying to help out other programs. You DO see this on the women's side, don't get me wrong, but there's still a marked difference.

honestly it sounds pretty much in line with a trend seen at all levels of competitive gymnastics. Men's programs are much smaller and people tend to know each other more as well, for longer amounts of time. Always in communication and trying to help out other programs. You DO see this on the women's side, don't get me wrong, but there's still a marked difference.

I agree with both Geoffrey and Gymdog. I have a son and a daughter, both gymnasts, both a long long way from elite lol, but the difference between the "feel" of competition between the two is completely different. Both will clap for team mates and other competitors at the end of their routines, they will high five or hug each other, but the boys are much more vocal, they call out encouragement and just seem to thrive on the team atmosphere.

Totally agree with the above three. I coach both guys and girls.

I was at the Visas and I have to say that there were quite a few hugs between the girls and after Alicia was done competing she was the biggest cheerleader out there for the other girls.

Totally agree age and the "size" of the mens v womens "world" are the biggest factors. Then not to throw in big sweeping generalizations but there are some differences between how girls and guys are socialized. Then this is probably impacted because elite girls hit more peak training hours at a younger age which also probably has more of an effect on their socialization than men. Not saying it's a huge negative thing, but it probably does make some sort of difference. It'd be an interesting sociology or sports psych project to do (hmmm maybe something I'll try to look at this year in school!)

I pretty much concur with Taucer on this. However, we men will have our differences that will come out at meetings and bartalk. Many of the judges are coaches as well whereas the incidence of this in WAG is less.

There may be some role in that too, but this a phenomenon that holds true even where you compare the kids in the JO program. The boys side is just more relaxed - coaches and judges too - and there's just a lot more tension on the girl's side. I'm not saying it's possible for the girls side to be different (generally, television plays a bigger role in the girls meets at that level as well), but just that there is.

Yep it has been said already but the men are men and the women are little girls. The men are mostly college age and older and are passionate about their sport and love the male bonding at meets and go big. The girls at the elite level are there to become america's darling and most don't have a clue about working with a real team and never will unless they maybe go to college and compete at a later date. Yep, been around a long time and it has always been this way. The women/girls are usually standoffish and think a little too much of themselves - while the men (college or elite) are gracious and fun. Odd though - which side the media seems to support the most!

The men are much older, many have been part of the college gym scene-which is full of cheering, congrats, etc. The girls are in fact (for the most part) girls. They are younger, less savvy and under WAY more pressure with Marta watching and judging their every move. Their meets are way more serious, but after the meet they are just teenage girls who love and support each other. They have so much fun at the ranch together- and act like the silly kids thay are- when they not in the gym of course.

I don't totally agree with the age concept. Go to a level 4 boys meet and a level 4 girls meet...you will see the same thing...the kids are the same age. Much of the intensity of the girls program is started from day one in many clubs.

When I first started coaching on the girls side I was very confused by the atmosphere of a low level girls competition. Our coaching staff is now instructed to do their best to bring a fun atmosphere into the competitions...high five the other teams...talk to the other coaches...mingle with parents...and encourage our team and parents to cheer more. We will even cheer for our competition at times.

Many times boys teams are small. When you look around a level 4 competition, you may have 5 head coaches their with a total 100-150+ years of coaching experience between them. The other coaches at the boys meets model themselves after these highly experienced coaches. Many times a level 4 girls meet will have 10-20 coaches there...each coach will only have a 1 or 2 years experience. I believe this plays a big role in the atmosphere at low level girls meets. I think it then sticks with the girls.

Last edited:
^^^^In addition...

On the men's side I never had a question...I could always ask any judge or any of those experienced coaches and they would give me the answer plus more. It is a very comfortable and calm environment...especially for the coaches. Nobody ever feels like they are not good enough in a men's competition. Most of the time...the other clubs are ready to help you out. If a coach is late at a level 4 boys meet due to a snow storm...you will not find any boys standing around...another club will already have their boys warming up. That's the boys side...that's just the way it is.

What happens at the top...starts at the bottom.

If you can teach a bunch of kids to do double layouts...you can teach them to control the atmosphere. There are always a few that don't buy in...but majority rules.

^^^^In addition...

As eluded to above...many girls clubs do a very poor job of building a "team". They just build a few excellent gymnasts....but no "team". Most men's programs are very team oriented. The boys are always helping each other. A club girl can move onto high school or college gymnastics and have a whole new experience as far as teamwork goes. Boys going off to college are many times used to this "team" environment.

Al Fong said something along the lines of: You can't build an elite without a team. Elites need teammates too. The level 9 that will never make level 10 that works out with the elite is just as important to the elites training as anything else.

The above is not a quote...but it was close to that.

Please don't chime in and tell me how wrong I am because your club is different. Congrats if you have a great "team" club and if your meets are different. Most of the levels of our team are different too...but we work hard to get it that way. The meets in our area are getting better too...but it takes work.

Last edited:
Been around a long time and without being disrespectful there is a true gender difference in attitude etc... Everyone is right - the boys side of the coin start cultivating friendships and teammates and buddies from day one - the girls side unfortunately (most often) only see each other as competitors etc.... At Visa's there is an age difference and maturity difference and it does show through but I agree the men/boys are always more friendly between themselves and parents, coaches and judges. Sorry, but once a girl makes it to the Visa Championships she is already convinced she is a chosen one and very very special. There is such a completely different attitude about the sport.

I do think that it's an age thing as in girls are started very young in the sport- and hopefuls are picked out from the crowd very young, at 3 and 4 even. Girls are trained for competition right from the start, and it's all they know.

Boys on the other hand, often start later, as many parents don't see gymnastics as a boy thing, and it's only when their talent becomes more obvious. In general, they also have a longer career, so the pressure to reach a certain goal by a certain age is lessened, and it's less about reaching goals early on.

So boys competition is a more relaxed affair, and they can afford to be pleased for teammates, as they may be competing for two or three olympics so there's more than likely a next time. For girls the clock ticks faster and they think now may be their only chance...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back