MAG Men's Live Stream (possible spoilers)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I had heard that in the US, the culture of one off trials is quite commonplace in sport. I'm thinking of athletics here. We work more on committee selection for all athletes that have made the qualifying score over the season.

I read comments on FB that the selection committee wasn't watching last few routines of the night from the non contendors - is that true?? And if true, that does strike me as not the right way to do things....

I didn't really matter and they already has their minds mostly made up and one routine would not have made a difference. I think the selection committee picked well and they were going for guys who would die to go. John, against ALL odds made a huge comeback.....Alex also, he has competed well and improved dramatically since London. Chris, too- these guys REALLY showed something above and beyond any ONE performance. I was rooting for Leyva, but he had been having some motivation issues this year. Donell was a bit surprising.....

Margo, the selection committee looks at everything. The trials is icing on the cake to see if they can duplicate the pressure to see how they will react......probably more important for the women since they are under 20.... But these guys? They have all been experiencing life in addition to training. They can handle pressure. Alex has a kid!!!! What more pressure is that!

I was traveling last night, so I just watched the whole thing after staying off social media entirely. Of course, happy for Sam, Jake, and Alex, but not surprised there. But the last two!! It's hard because there was going to be heartbreak no matter what, but I think it's a great team. I wonder if they have had to hire a flood cleanup crew to deal with the aftermath of John's selection? Geez, even the selection committee was crying!

And BROOKSIE!!!!!!!!!!

Whittenburg and Leyva for alternates, I hope. That was a gutsy comeback for Danell, and I think he was underscored on hi bar. Donnell will live to fight another day. I'm calling it right here, right now: Olympic gold on rings for him in 2020.

Is was a weepfest last night! I was crying too! I think the difference with the women is we all know what these guys have been through! Major injuries, comebacks, deaths, kids, missing previous teams.....these guys have been thought the mill!!!! Brooks is 29 for crying out loud!!!!
The young ones are 23.....
I think it's funny that the men's team will have cried waaaaaaaay more than when the women get picked....you'll see.

So happy for Brooks. Gutted for Danell and Donnell, but I am quite certain that this is not a one off event decision. We pretty much knew who was in the running (and so did the athletes). I think the 5 man roster is ridiculous in a sport with 6 events. The 2020 team rule is even more absurd. I don't think the goal of the Olympics was to make sure every country won a medal. It was the world coming together in the spirit of gamesmanship of the best athletes in the world.

And I think things are becoming a lot more certain on the women's side after this weekend. The big open question is Ashton or Madison (Team Ashton here).

It was based on a combination of Nationals and Olympic trials and committee opinions. The only way for a men's gymnast to guarantee a spot was to place top 3 on 3 events, but no one man did that.

They had to be in the top 2 and top 3 on 3 events....no one has ever done that. And they kept saying it was also based on past international performances.

They had to be in the top 2 and top 3 on 3 events....no one has ever done that. And they kept saying it was also based on past international performances.

Oops! Thanks for the correction. Sam was really close to getting it based on scores.

So . . . what are your event lineups? Here are mine.

Qualifying
FX: Brooks, Dalton, Mikulak, Naddour
PH: Brooks, Mikulak, Naddour, Orozco
SR: Brooks, Dalton, Mikulak, Naddour
VT: Brooks, Dalton, Mikulak, Naddour
PB: Brooks, Dalton, Mikulak, Orozco
HB: Brooks, Dalton, Mikulak, Orozco

Yes, I put Brooks in as the second all arounder, so sue me.

Finals
FX: Dalton, Mikulak, Naddour
PH: Mikulak, Naddour, Orozco
SR: Brooks, Mikulak, Naddour
VT: Dalton, Mikulak, Naddour
PB: Brooks, Mikulak, Orozco
HB: Brooks, Mikulak, Orozco

If it looks like Sam has any kind of shot at an AA medal, maybe figure out SOME way to rest him on one event in finals? I really don't like depending on him for that many hit routines.

So . . . what are your event lineups? Here are mine.

Qualifying
FX: Brooks, Dalton, Mikulak, Naddour
PH: Brooks, Mikulak, Naddour, Orozco
SR: Brooks, Dalton, Mikulak, Naddour
VT: Brooks, Dalton, Mikulak, Naddour
PB: Brooks, Dalton, Mikulak, Orozco
HB: Brooks, Dalton, Mikulak, Orozco

Yes, I put Brooks in as the second all arounder, so sue me.

Finals
FX: Dalton, Mikulak, Naddour
PH: Mikulak, Naddour, Orozco
SR: Brooks, Mikulak, Naddour
VT: Dalton, Mikulak, Naddour
PB: Brooks, Mikulak, Orozco
HB: Brooks, Mikulak, Orozco

If it looks like Sam has any kind of shot at an AA medal, maybe figure out SOME way to rest him on one event in finals? I really don't like depending on him for that many hit routines.

Love Brooks, but I bet they put Dalton in as the 2nd AA :( Would love it to be Brooks. For the EF, you could use Brooks on Vault...that would give him a bit of a rest. Not sure where else you could pull him...

This was the first time watching men's gymnastics with anyone else who knows anything about it (you know, my vastly experienced and knowledgeable 7 y.o., lol!). It was funny how much more I enjoyed it now that I actually know a little more about it. It was also funny some of the things DS noticed that I didn't. "His arms weren't straight there, that's not good." o_O

So, much as I love John and really want him on the team, I'm not sure I would have picked him. I was really rooting for Donnell, especially after he did the second "in your face" vault. I didn't see much of Jake, so I can't say how I feel about the choice of him except that I did feel like it was a mostly foregone conclusion that Sam and Jake would make it.

Even though it probably made no difference in the end, it did bug me how the committee wasn't even pretending to watch Danell's floor and Donnell's Pbars. It also kind of broke my heart that Danell stepped out at the very end - such a crappy way to end this quest, even though I doubt it mattered in the selection.

David Durante did turn to watch Donnell, and by the end, most were watching him. Danell's floor would not have made a difference as it was not a crucial routine for him. While I do think they should have been watching, I know the 12 minute deadline was looming over them and they wanted to start conversation while things were happeneing and fresh. I do think, by those last 2 routines, there was not going to be a big change based on those.

I saw Mazeika even tearing up. Thing is, the whole committee have known these guys since they were very young. They know the coaches extremely well....they know everything that is going on with each athlete. I don't believe one weekend decides who goes, unless there is a total surprise. I heard that Danell had been going through motivation issues, and although he has the best high bar set in the US team, they did not select him for a good reason. I agree that Donnell had an amazing vault, but our sore spot is pommel horse. ......It was was rude for them to be huddling during routines though......I would have hated being one that was putting it out there, and then go unnoticed. I was kind of bummed not to see more of Yul, and Akash

Anyway, how do they select who goes from the alternates? God forbid.

Depends on who gets hurt. I could see them not even traveling. We are not too far fro Rio and the time zones are close.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back