WAG Mental block??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMomK

Proud Parent
My dd has a mental block that's been going on for months. She won't do her bhs bhs series on the beam. There is no good reason for the block, she didn't fall or anything.

Is this common? Is there a way to move past it?

Her coaches (former gymnasts) have no patience for it at all. They have no 'words of wisdom' they just tell her to do it, that she's in control of her body, etc. she's a very tender hearted kid and the lack of empathy is wearing her down.

She's doing great on all other events, even other beam skills.

She's been in gym too long to quit, but my goodness, a girl (and her mom) can only take so much. She cries after every practice, she gets crazy nervous before gym. I would like to console her, but I don't know what to say because I was never a gymnast.

Anyone have experience with this? Will it pass?

My DD went through something similar. It was causing lots of frustration, tears, and self doubt, which only made things worse. What helped her was taking a break from the skill for a while. That way she was able to rekindle her love of gymnastics and the skill magically came back on its own once she stopped stressing about it. Of course, the coaches would have to be in agreement to try something like that. Best of luck.

If I had a dollar for every girl have an inexplicable block in this series (my daughter being one of them), I'd be a rich lady. My daughter had it cold last summer. Not only did she never have a hard fall, but I have never even seen her fall in this series on high beam.

One day out of the blue she starts to balk them and ends up not competing it. Now, just as strangely as it started, she seems to be moving past it. She had a teammate who was repeating 8 who did the exact same thing.

She also had 2 teammates who competed the series for a full year and then started having issues even throwing it. It's very common and she will move past it if she keeps working on it!

Very common and should be nothing to worry about. Experienced coaches know this happens, accepts it, reassures the athlete, reprogresses them (spotting, low beam, mats under the beam, etc.), and moves on. :) The only problem I've seen is when the coaches flip out and make it into some big deal. Then it can become a big deal for the athlete and then the big mental spiral of death begins in their head! ;) I hope that you and her coaches will help her through this as they always come out stronger on the other side if handled properly. Good luck to the both of you.

Very common and should be nothing to worry about. Experienced coaches know this happens, accepts it, reassures the athlete, reprogresses them (spotting, low beam, mats under the beam, etc.), and moves on. :) The only problem I've seen is when the coaches flip out and make it into some big deal. Then it can become a big deal for the athlete and then the big mental spiral of death begins in their head! ;) I hope that you and her coaches will help her through this as they always come out stronger on the other side if handled properly. Good luck to the both of you.

Unfortunately, the coach flipping out thing is what is happening! The momma bear in me is about to come out!!

If its vestibular, how long does that usually last?

My dd has a mental block that's been going on for months. She won't do her bhs bhs series on the beam. There is no good reason for the block, she didn't fall or anything.......GymMomK

Is this happening on floor beam, as well as the high beam, or is it just a high beam problem?

Unfortunately, the coach flipping out thing is what is happening! The momma bear in me is about to come out!!

If its vestibular, how long does that usually last?

you can't predict. it will pass, though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back