Parents Middle of the Road Gymnast--Proud Mama though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD has never been a top scorer. She's had her flashes of brilliance, but it's never been consistent. She has repeated every level except level 6.

Two years at level 4: First year scratched events for half the year, barely qualified for sectionals with 32 being her highest score. Second year was greatly improved, but she only ever scored one 36. Most of her scores that year were in the 34-35 range.

Two years of level 5: Again, 31-32 AA in the first year. Really struggled with the kip. In the second year, she peaked at just the right time for state. She scored her highest beam, floor and vault scores. Won state titles on beam and floor and finished second by .025 on vault. Would have won AA if her grip hadn't slipped in her jump to high bar. This was probably the peak of her career.

One year of level 6. Never scored higher than 33.9, however she did win beam at state again. Beam was her only podium finish at state. She moved up to seven to gain the extra training time to work on the harder skills.

Two years of 7: Again, never scored above a 34 in either year. She is very weak on bars, which really holds her back. In her second year, she upgraded her floor and beam to add more B skills, but was still basically scoring the same.

First year as an 8 this year. Not sure what it will hold. Bars is a massive struggle and she may decide to specialize. Coach is talking about her dropping back to 7 in February if she doesn't qualify for state by then, but honestly, for a 15 year old in her first season as an 8, there isn't much motivation to drop back for a third season of level 7.

She has never felt defeated by not finishing on the podium and scoring as well as her teammates. If anything, that motivated her more. She is one of the hardest workers, but she really struggles withstrength, flexibility and shapes. All the things that make gymnastics easier and prettier. Some of the optional level skills have been a struggle for her (bars and fear issues on beam/floor) and it has shaken her confidence. Advancement can be done for the middle or bottom of the road girls, but it can be very challenging and requires a lot of hard work. For my DD, it has been an extremely slow process.

Another middle of the pack dd here. She is repeating last year's l6 as a l5 this year. But I've seen a big change. All her friends went to l7. She stayed back with 3 other girls she isn't close to.

I've never seen her so focused AND having so much fun. We had a practice meet on Sunday and she was just having a ball. Most of the other girls seemed stressed not dd. She had some of the best routines I've seen from her (with my untrained eye --- no scoring) and she was just having a ton of fun.

I don't even care about the scores if she can keep this attitude!

My dd does not score what most would consider high. Her last meet she scored a 35.05. Her highest score yet and this is her 4th year competing. She loves gymnastics but she has a lot of fear issues. I suppose she doesnt have the best form. She is really good at setting personal goals. Maybe her goal might be not pike on her vault or score a 9 on floor. Thats what she focuses on.

I hAve always thought that even if she gets last place she does things most girls her age dont. She amazes me.

Please keep it up. My daughters first year at level 4, she scored between 32- low 35 at most meets. Level 5 never got above at 34, level 6- she came into her own , winning bars and scoring 36-37.. Now she is level 8- one meet at level 7 scored at 37.9 and scored 35.85 for level 8... She has only been competing since sept 2010 and is in 5 th grade... I would have hated to see what would have happened to her if she worried about scores... It's a marathon not a sprint( now based on her recent progress I have to remind myself!

I mean, do the girls who can't get the 36's just stop competing? Is there a place for a gymnast who can't get those scores?

Sometimes they go to another gym where they are taught "how" to score a 36+

Sometimes they go to another gym where they are taught "how" to score a 36+
Thanks-- we really do not want to leave gym. I think this is an issue of form--she has the skills but is not doing things in a way that score well.

I have been reading about how some kids do better at optionals, and that gives me hope, but I know she has to improve substantially above a 31 AA before she can move up and be competitive

My DD has never been a top scorer. She's had her flashes of brilliance, but it's never been consistent. She has repeated every level except level 6.

Two years at level 4: First year scratched events for half the year, barely qualified for sectionals with 32 being her highest score. Second year was greatly improved, but she only ever scored one 36. Most of her scores that year were in the 34-35 range.

Two years of level 5: Again, 31-32 AA in the first year. Really struggled with the kip. In the second year, she peaked at just the right time for state. She scored her highest beam, floor and vault scores. Won state titles on beam and floor and finished second by .025 on vault. Would have won AA if her grip hadn't slipped in her jump to high bar. This was probably the peak of

Thanks for your story...it makes me think she could improve!

I think this is an issue of form--she has the skills but is not doing things in a way that score well.

I have been reading about how some kids do better at optionals, and that gives me hope, but I know she has to improve substantially above a 31 AA before she can move up and be competitive

I think this is an issue of form--she has the skills but is not doing things in a way that score well.

But, how is she going to learn the form if she is not being coached to achieve it? That's not something they just figure out. I won't put a middle-of-the road kid on the floor unless I am confident they are at least going to score a mid-to-high 34 at the opening meet of the season, with expectations they will at least move to the mid-to-high 35 range within 4 meets. That puts self-imposed pressure on me to coach each gymnast to be able to achieve those scores and higher.

IMO, when kids don't do well as compulsories, but then do well as optionals it's often that they move into a group where they receive better coaching. If the same kid had received the same level of detailed coaching as a compulsory, they would have done well at each and every level.

Unless they are tiny, or have a growth/strength spurt, or gain coordination...etc. In our state there are literally only 2-5 girls PER ENTIRE LEVEL that score above 36s at state meets....now I'm willing to admit its a relatively small state so our pool is smaller, but several of those kids are now competing college gym even at D1 schools, so I think judging varies too....

In any case, I do also know one gym in town that pushes kids through with score out meets, etc and I cringe watching their optional girls compete - they don't know their routines, lack the strength to have safe bar routines, have dangerous form breaks etc...it doesn't help that as a pediatrician I've seen worrisome injuries come out of that gym (more/different types than the other gyms in town...)

DD moved through old L5 and L6 starting with low 30s and ending with mid 34s...hit L7 and right up to high 35s and frequent medals. Her form is exquisite. She is powerful and tiny - not long and lean and struggled at the lower levels to even get over the vault - reach the bar/beam - same coaches all along - and strength/form and building for progression was always emphasized, not scores or which level you are. Several of her friends who "rocked" compulsories are really struggling as optionals - again same coaches and approach - but they in general are longer/leaner girls without the strength and power...

All I'm saying, is "ain't necessarily so"....maybe all the experienced coaches can truely tell which kids are the Elite type - I suspect so....but for a "middle of the roader" almost anything is possible within reason if the kid wants it, stays healthy, has good coaching and parental support - and when I say almost anything I mean they could be done next month, happily stay level 8s through high school, end up coaching rec kids instead, or head to college gym....

I think the parents of higher scoring/more advanced kids on here tend to have lots of experience to share - and also gym is likely a huge part of their/their child's life so they are "over-represented"....along with those just starting out on the journey and trying it out (all the pre-team moms/dads.....Level 1-3, etc)....I suspect there are a lot of more "average" gymnasts/parents - some with big "mouths" like mine!

I have to agree with the scores. Around here a 34-35 is NOT middle of the road. Those scores will typically win you States or at least top three. Scores of 36+ are very rare here and yet our state won 6-8 National JO age groups last year so something must be working even with the "lower" scores.

Again, it all goes back to the gym's philosophy. There is no such thing as a
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I am surprised though that there aren't more gymnasts who are not in the higher score range (or more responses from moms of those gymnasts)-- I mean, do the girls who can't get the 36's just stop competing? Is there a place for a gymnast who can't get those scores? For context, she does much better in the gym than at meets, which is why she was moved up.

I was that gymnast who was never on the podium (in my first 2 years). Then a new coach came to our gym, coached me/us differently and suddenly next season I was the kid on the podium. I was amazed at the difference in coaching. In my first 2 years, I hadn't concerned myself with scores (that's because I had no idea how to get them). I was working as hard as I could and only scoring high 7s/low 8s. Since the podium was out of reach for me, I focused on other goals: no-fall routines, learning new skills, advancing to the next level, etc. What else could I do? I had no idea how the girls I was competing against were scoring so high, so why would I make it my goal to compete at their level?! I never would have admitted it to anyone, but I was frustrated by my scores, because they suggested I was just average. I didn't feel like I was just average. I had some pretty big skills for my level and I wanted to go as far as the sport would take me. My new coach brought in another new coach and between the 2 of them, I was amazed at how the training changed. We spent so much more time on the finer details of the skills and routines. In some ways workouts were harder, in some ways they were easier, because I learned new skills more quickly once I got the shapes and techniques down. There was so much more hands-on coaching, and I was always being stopped and made to do things correctly. Let me tell you, I really enjoyed getting on that podium! I really loved how satisfying it was to be able to chip away at tenths in workouts/meets once I was comfortably in the 9s. I quickly came to care about scores once I realized I had some power over my score. As a coach I love it when a kid comes to me from another gym who was like me: talented, just not being coached in such a way that would've ever put me on the podium.

Sorry I keep sending fragments of messages! For some reason, CB keeps logging me out in the middle of typing. I log back in to start a new message only to find that the message I first started gets posted.

Unless they are tiny, or have a growth/strength spurt, or gain coordination...etc. In our state there are literally only 2-5 girls PER ENTIRE LEVEL that score above 36s at state meets....now I'm willing to admit its a relatively small state so our pool is smaller, but several of those kids are now competing college gym even at D1 schools, so I think judging varies too....

In any case, I do also know one gym in town that pushes kids through with score out meets, etc and I cringe watching their optional girls compete - they don't know their routines, lack the strength to have safe bar routines, have dangerous form breaks etc...it doesn't help that as a pediatrician I've seen worrisome injuries come out of that gym (more/different types than the other gyms in town...)

DD moved through old L5 and L6 starting with low 30s and ending with mid 34s...hit L7 and right up to high 35s and frequent medals. Her form is exquisite. She is powerful and tiny - not long and lean and struggled at the lower levels to even get over the vault - reach the bar/beam - same coaches all along - and strength/form and building for progression was always emphasized, not scores or which level you are. Several of her friends who "rocked" compulsories are really struggling as optionals - again same coaches and approach - but they in general are longer/leaner girls without the strength and power...

All I'm saying, is "ain't necessarily so"....maybe all the experienced coaches can truely tell which kids are the Elite type - I suspect so....but for a "middle of the roader" almost anything is possible within reason if the kid wants it, stays healthy, has good coaching and parental support - and when I say almost anything I mean they could be done next month, happily stay level 8s through high school, end up coaching rec kids instead, or head to college gym....

I think the parents of higher scoring/more advanced kids on here tend to have lots of experience to share - and also gym is likely a huge part of their/their child's life so they are "over-represented"....along with those just starting out on the journey and trying it out (all the pre-team moms/dads.....Level 1-3, etc)....I suspect there are a lot of more "average" gymnasts/parents - some with big "mouths" like mine!

thanks! She is scoring low-- around 31AA, but I (and the coach ) see potential and promise, so here is hoping she improves throughout the season!

Thanks for all your posts. As an update-- her second meet was even worse...but there were glimmers of hope. For some reason she has gotten scared of her back tuck, did not do it on floor, and got the lowest score she has ever gotten. However, she knows has she got it, her overall score would have been above a 33-- a big improvement from her first meet of a 31.7. I know...she did NOT get the 33, and I know some folks still consider that low, BUT, she was able to see that if she can get over the fear, she can improve. We are trying to get her to focus on the good-- she landed her flyaway and stuck it, landed her back walk over, and got her highest vault score (8.8).

I know she may not be the best gymnast, and may never get on the podium at a big meet, but I think we have shifted expectations and she can try and focus on self improvement.

For now, we are hoping she gets over her new fear-- she has the skill, but for some reason is too nervous to do it unless the coach is right there.

thanks for your posts of encouragement.

I won't put a middle-of-the road kid on the floor unless I am confident they are at least going to score a mid-to-high 34 at the opening meet of the season, with expectations they will at least move to the mid-to-high 35 range within 4 meets. That puts self-imposed pressure on me to coach each gymnast to be able to achieve those scores and higher.

This makes me sad-my dd wouldn't be able to compete if this was the expectation at her gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back