MIOBI beam...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastbeth

Moderator/Gymnast
For those who watch make it or break it:

Did anyone else notice how WIDE the beam was? It makes sense, so the stunt doubles and actresses can do everything, but they never showed it until recently. It was especially noticeable in the finale... It looked to be at LEAST a foot wide!

I just found it to be amusing and wanted to share... If only the real beam was that wide! Picture 6.jpg

I saw this as well!
I thought it was a little weird that they made it soo noticeable.
Like in Stick it for Wei-Wei's break dancing beam routine they widened the beam (shown in extra features) but didn't make it noticeable in the actual movie.

It does make a bit of sense but from what I heard the stunt doubles were actual gymnasts and the actors don't really do much on the beam...why did they have to widen it....?

Oh well. It's TV. Enough Said.

I suppose they have to widen the beam to make the skills easier looking with perfect sticks, if it was only four inches wide and real gymnasts where using it, they would have to get 10-elite gymnasts, which dont have very much free time. This way would just be eaiser for the tv producers

There was an article and someone posted here back in Feb I think that FIG are planning on making the beam 8" wide - maybe this is the new 8" beam. After all TV always gets the latest and greatest unlike our gyms.

There was an article and someone posted here back in Feb I think that FIG are planning on making the beam 8" wide - maybe this is the new 8" beam. After all TV always gets the latest and greatest unlike our gyms.

For competition?!?!?!?!?

Yup My understanding is that there were too many foot/ankle injuries with the 4" beam and the wider beam is supposed to help get rid of that. There was a thread on this board about it back in Feb.

Dunno didn't you have some info on that?

Which forum was this thread in? I'd really like to read more about this. I am just stunned.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back