Mixed age groups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Just moving this topic out of another thread so we don't hijack the post this came from. For those who haven't read that. There was a discussion on camp and the fun of it. Then the discussion morphed a bit to talk about mixing age groups in the camp with young kids say 5 - 8 yo working with older kids in their teens and is that appropriate. S

I agree with the benefit of mixed age groups to a degree. My dd was in a Montessori school from the ages of 2 1/2 through kindergarten and did very well in this mixed age group setting. However, I think that the mixed ages can get complicated as the kids get older. Personally, I think it is innappropriate for a 10 year old to be sociallizing (sleep overs and weekend get-togethers) with a 13-14 year old. When kids reach middle school there are many emotional issues that are specific to just their age group that elementary school kids need not be exposed to.

Stepping down now. This is an interesting topic. Maybe we should start a new thread on this topic so that we do not further hijack the OP post on her dd and her camp experience.

Everyone does have an opinion on what is appropriate and what is not regarding social, ability and age groupings with kids and I respect what you believe but the reallity on this is there have been many studies on this by many professional in the field and they show that mixed age groups actually are very appropriate and actually the more natural setting. In general regardless of the age gap children, teen etc should always have an adult supervising to some extent to make sure things are going well.

I believe that mixed age groups are not only fun for the kids but also beneficial. Younger kids look up to older kids for inspiration and support. For those kids to be able to work with each other is like a dream come true for the young ones. It also teaches the older children some responsibility and leadership. I think that mixed age groups is a great idea.

I am new here and I just know what I read so if this is totally off the wall and subject I am sorry! :)

It takes a village to raise a child. Honestly, this is what happens in family's, in neighborhoods, in schools, and in sports. It's what makes the world go round. We are all different ages in the workplace, too. High school interns work right alongside men and women who have been in the workplace for 20 plus years. My husband even has patents that he got from interning in high school.

I have not seen issues with this among homeschooling families, though I am sure they exist. I think schools exacerbate the issue BECAUSE they are broken into groups of only kids the same age and that creates it's own set of issues. It is weird, because I only see this "issue" among kids that go to school. In the homeschool community it is so common for kids to hang out across the age gap and especially across the sex gap (which in school seems to get less common as they get older, sometimes starting as soon as kindergarten).

Yes, there can be issues, but these very same issues can come up if the child that is the same age as your child has older siblings, etc. Or who have parents that encourage them to act and dress older. Or parents that discuss EVERYTHING with and in front of their kids.

I think the most important thing to do is get to know your childs friends and be there to discuss things they bring up (which they usually do if they are not sure of it). Some of the worse things that Abby has come home from gym saying have been from kids her age, so I don't buy into the age thing. Just my experience of course, from someone who spends lots of time with kids of various ages in our homeschool group and has no issues. The only issues we have had are with kids her age that went to school.

My youngest had a very close friend that was 12, she is 4. They got along just wonderfully. Had the most amazing conversations. It never even seemed odd to me. They were just great friends, plain and simple.

I am sometimes shocked that teens don't know better than to discuss certain things at gym in front of younger girls. As a parent, I think that is my responsibility to educate my kids on what is appropriate and not to discuss. Though I know that not all parents feel the same or do the same.

i have no objection to mixed aged groups. My squad is made up of girls as young as 8 to 15 nearly 16. However, they rarely talk to each other simply because our interests are different. in the first post there is a quote my MdGymMom01 "I think it is innappropriate for a 10 year old to be sociallizing (sleep overs and weekend get-togethers) with a 13-14 year old" I would mostly agree but from experience there are some 10/11 year olds that are quite mature to the point i forget they are only 10 or 11, in this case its alright but they really have to be on similar maturity levels.

I can see where the problem can exist, particularly the topics of conversation of a 15 year old girl is very different to that of a 10 year old (generally) and the 15 year olds conversation can be inappropriate for the younger ones.

I don't think it is an issue simply because we are normally split up into 2 groups anyway infact they have changed the days for they young ones generally because our squad was too big. But it can be beneficial for both ages to learn to work with those of younger and older age groups

My husband and I were, well let's just say not young, when we had our children. Our kids have always been exposed to a wide range of ages and experiences. I always thought that was great. . . but we have had some experience that have caused me to lean toward trying to keep Flipper with girls close to her age at gym and camp.

Flipper has done well in gymnastics and this has caused her to workout with girls who are substantially older then her. When she was 8-10, she was working out with high school girls. These were very nice girls who would never intentionally cause harm or confusion - they treated her like a little sister. However, the conversations and topics of interest to those girls just aren't what I want my little stinker thinking and talking about. They were never rude, off color or graphic in any way - they just talked about things that are appropriate for high school girls that I don't want to deal with Flipper. Flipper started focusing on boys, mentioning their behinds, worrying about how clothes made her look, even asked fairly loudly in a restaurant what a tampon is. Bless the big girls hearts, they thought of Flipper as one of them - but she is still just a little girl! That is one of the biggest reasons we changed gyms - so Flipper could have girls her age at her level and so that mom wouldn't have to deal with big girl conversations anymore.

I agree that some topics that teen agers discuss are inappropriate for young girls ears. But I also know that when I was a beginner gymnast I always looked up to the older girls because they had the experience that I wanted to get.

My girls are 11 and 13. This year, and for many years before, they have trained together. The age range in their group is 7 - 14, there are 8 girls. 90% of the time it works great as the coach is very good at setting the preteens and teens different stations etc. Once in a while she has to remind some gilrs to keep out of the older kid chat, and sometimes that the older girls need to watch what they are talking about.

My kids have a 17 year old brother and cousins aged from 1-35 years of age and we all spend a lot of time together hanging out. SO they are all used to a multigenerational approach to life. My girls certainl know stuff that some parents might consider "too grown up", but none of them are precocious when it come to the opposite sex etc, in fact they are a bit behind their peers.

Though my kids friends, as in the kids they invite for sleepovers etc, are all within a year of their ages. NOt an issue.

My daughters' team consists of girls ages 3 to 12. They are sweet girls. There are generally 3 coaches during practice to 17 girls. The littlest girls go with one coach. The girls ranging from 6 to 12 are split between the other 2 coaches. There is no chitchat allowed. They are taught to be quiet when working out. Before, after and in breaks they chat, but they tend to stick to girls near their own age. We have never had a problem with off color comments, boy talk, etc. I think the girls get along great(except for one mean girl that is just rude, but the girls are trying to change her and kill her with kindness). I don't think the mixed age groups is a problem. I would be more worried about it if I had a 6 year old on a team of girls in their teens. The way our team is divided it isn't a problem.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back