WAG Mommy and me- too skills focused?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TLsmom

Proud Parent
I've been taking TL (19months) to a mommy and me class for about a month, I love the people/coach but it's not really what I thought it would be so I'm wondering if my expectations were wrong or if I should take the time to look at some of the other gyms around.

This is what a class involves-

A little bit of stretching

Floor rotation, 5 stations done 3 times
- forward roll on wedge
- backbend on mat (hate doing this one since her arms seem too short?)
- cartwheel
- handstand walk with toes
- cartwheel

Bars/rings, 4 stations done 3 times
- hold swing on high bar
- hold rings try to pull up
- hold bars while I pull her toes up to touch bar
- crab walk on parallel bars (never happens because I can not get her in this position by myself)

Beam, 4 stations done 2 times
- walk on beam
- step kick on beam
- walk on beam
- side step on beam

Springboard obstacle-ish course 2 times
- lots of jumping and at the end is a little slide

Trampoline
- jump down tumble track 2-3 times

I just thought we would do more games/songs/play with a little gymnastics thrown in, she does like the class and seems to have fun mostly but at the same time I can tell she wants to play more. There are at least 10 gyms within 15 miles so I can go tryout other gyms but if mommy and me classes are normally set up like this we will just stay put. I didn't think she'd really start doing only skills until preschool gymnastics.

That isn't what I would expect with a mommy and me class, especially the back bend parts. When DD took those classes we did work on some skills through a rotation but then there was a lot of dance type activities like Going on a Bear hunt. We did get on most of the equipment but it was to get used to it not really to learn skills. We didn't really start skills until the first pre-school class.

The most striking thing from your post is "backbends". Do not do backbends with a toddler, skip it every single time. It's not safe for their little backs.

Aside from that, it does seems advanced for a toddler class.

I've been taking TL (19months) to a mommy and me class for about a month...

[cut]

- backbend on mat (hate doing this one since her arms seem too short?)
o_Oo_O

I would perhaps investigate other gyms. For the under-three set, I would expect what I think you were expecting - games, dances, foam mat obstacle courses, etc. My gym has no Mommy & Me class, but that sounds at least as skill focused as our preschool classes (which include no backbends because they're bad for very young backs).

The coach has us actually put her in a backbend, if it's not safe why in the world would they have us do it? I guess I should switch then, we do the same schedule every class

The most striking thing from your post is "backbends". Do not do backbends with a toddler, skip it every single time. It's not safe for their little backs.

Aside from that, it does seems advanced for a toddler class.
I see that you are in tx too, is there a place that gives reviews or something for all the gyms? I'd rather not just do a thousand trial classes if I can avoid it. I don't mind doing some skills, she loves the beam/trampoline/forward rolls but I really wantto concentrate on fun :)

Your best bet is to ask friends for their recommendations or ask in a community or church group. A constant frustration among CB families is that there is no database for gyms.

The coach has us actually put her in a backbend, if it's not safe why in the world would they have us do it? I guess I should switch then, we do the same schedule every class

NO BACK BENDS!!!!!!!!!!! (dunno pulling out hair he has left from both sides of his head)

I used to help out in a mom-n-tot class. It was more skills oriented that some others. Class started by running around the floor or jumping down the tumble trak. Stretches were 'games.' The stretches led up to the preschool classes. When it came time for backbends/bridges, we had the mommies lay the tots on their backs and put their hands in a position to bridge up but legs stayed straight so there was no way they could. It was just to introduce the position and stretch the wrists. Obstacle course included forward rolls on wedge, backroll (well, they stood at the end of the wedge with arms up) we did the rest, cartwheels, donkey kicks, walk on low beam, front support on bars, swing on bars, and log rolls. That's the just of it, but the tots had lots of fun!

I coach a parent/tot class right now and have been for a few years now. The class is for kids 18mos-3yrs. The one thing that's on there that I have never done and never will do with the class is the back bends. This class is 30 min long and consists of a song to warm up, about 2 minutes of "stretching", circuits on each event, and a special good-bye song. Here's an example of some things we might do in the circuits:

"Vault"/tumble track:
- tumble track-- they usually just jump down, but if I have a group that is on the older side or is a little more advanced, they try "straddle" jumps (aka jump feet apart, then together)
- jumping on dots
- "squat-on" on a block or half of the table trainer (usually most kids end up going jump, jump, jump, then climb feet to a squat on position)
- wedge: do pencil rolls down
- jumping off a springboard and landing in a "freeze" (landing position)

Bars:
- crawl on a ladder attached to a single rail bar (not more than 1ft off the ground)
- bear crawls on parallel bars on the floor
- tuck/pike/straddle hang on the bar
- koala hang-- hang on bar w/one hand on each side and wrap feet around bar

Beam: these are all floor beams with the exception of one beam which the top of it is below my knee
- step over beanie babies
- forward/sideways walks
- bring beanie babies from one end to the other
- biggest beam: walk with "airplane arms"
- line on the floor: walk backwards

Floor:
- wedge: forward rolls
- crawl through tunnel
- jump off small block
- wedge against wall: crawl feet up the wedge (kind of like a handstand)
- cartwheel mat (usually kids end up walking their feet to the other side or getting spotted through the whole thing)-- its just for the idea of thee cartwheel vs actually doing it

Note: I don't expect the kids to be able to do EVERYTHING or do the stations perfectly. It is more for getting kids to start learning positions, taking turns, and just trying things. I don't care if kids skip stations or try something different as long as they are having fun.

This was DD's toddler class (age 2-3)

Run in excitedly
Try and herd them into a circle long enough to at least go through the motions of touch your toes, hokey cokey, springing glitter on fairy wings, and other games to stretch.
Mayhem as they all run loose!
Coach 1 calls them over one at a time and gets them to walk along a beam.
More mayhem as they jump in the pit, on the tramp, climb on the wall bars (all safely obviously).
Coach 2 attempts to distract them long enough to swing on the bar, roll down a wedge, throw a beanie, jump into a hula hoop, so some such.
Mayhem!
Finish by herding into a circle again, attempting 5 sit ups in the guise of "row your boat".
Stickers and home.

It was only once they hit 3 the stations became more formal and there was no running loose, but the parents weren't there to help supervise in that class.

I have to admit too that DD1 would never come down from the monkey bars or out of the pit to do the exercise with the coach :oops:

There's no need for anything other than fun for under 5's. What does your gym look like higher up? DO they have older kids or do they burn them out getting too serious too soon?

I've been taking TL (19months) to a mommy and me class for about a month, I love the people/coach but it's not really what I thought it would be so I'm wondering if my expectations were wrong or if I should take the time to look at some of the other gyms around.

This is what a class involves-
A little bit of stretching we do this, along with jumps and "table tops"
Floor rotation, 5 stations done 3 times
- forward roll on wedge we do this
- backbend on mat (hate doing this one since her arms seem too short?) In our gym, they do "table tops" instead of backbends... much better for the little ones. More of a crab position with the belly pushed up.
- cartwheel not until the 3 yr old class
- handstand walk with toes they TRY donkey kicks
- cartwheel

Bars/rings, 4 stations done 3 times
- hold swing on high bar we have 2 low single rail bars that they swing on
- hold rings try to pull up they try to pull up on the bars since we don't have rings
- hold bars while I pull her toes up to touch bar supported leg lifts and "sloth" are done
- crab walk on parallel bars (never happens because I can not get her in this position by myself) not until the 3 yr old class

Beam, 4 stations done 2 times (This age group is mostly on the low beam... coach will take one at a time to the high beam)
- walk on beam
- step kick on beam
- walk on beam (as they are approaching the age to move up, the coach will try to get them to walk backwards too)
- side step on beam
- we also do "ice cream scoops" on the beam

Springboard obstacle-ish course 2 times
- lots of jumping and at the end is a little slide
Our obstacle course is on the floor, so it is all combined. They also do vault... we have a little springboard they use and the coach helps them up to the L3 vault stack.

Trampoline
- jump down tumble track 2-3 times they love that part. Then they get "stamps" at the end of class.

I just thought we would do more games/songs/play with a little gymnastics thrown in, she does like the class and seems to have fun mostly but at the same time I can tell she wants to play more. There are at least 10 gyms within 15 miles so I can go tryout other gyms but if mommy and me classes are normally set up like this we will just stay put. I didn't think she'd really start doing only skills until preschool gymnastics.
It does seem advanced, but the only time i have seen more of the play aspect was the year we had a morning class that was more of an open gym-ish format.

NO BACK BENDS!!!!!!!!!!! (dunno pulling out hair he has left from both sides of his head)
that settles it I'm finding a new gym I have no idea why they would do this, the gym is even a member of usag and on their website?
It does seem advanced, but the only time i have seen more of the play aspect was the year we had a morning class that was more of an open gym-ish format.
this is a morning class :) I'm totally ok doing skills I just wasn't sure if I should change my view/expectations or if it was too advanced! Seems like it's pretty much on par maybe just a little advanced besides the back ends of course

Run in excitedly
Try and herd them into a circle long enough to at least go through the motions of touch your toes, hokey cokey, springing glitter on fairy wings, and other games to stretch.
More mayhem as they jump in the pit, on the tramp, climb on the wall bars (all safely obviously).
Coach 2 attempts to distract them long enough to swing on the bar, roll down a wedge, throw a beanie, jump into a hula hoop, so some such.
Mayhem!
Finish by herding into a circle again, attempting 5 sit ups in the guise of "row your boat".
Stickers and home.

It was only once they hit 3 the stations became more formal and there was no running loose, but the parents weren't there to help supervise in that class.

I have to admit too that DD1 would never come down from the monkey bars or out of the pit to do the exercise with the coach :oops:

There's no need for anything other than fun for under 5's. What does your gym look like higher up? DO they have older kids or do they burn them out getting too serious too soon?
Sounds like fun! I'm not sure about the higher up kiddos, I've only interacted with toddler/preschool parents so far

Run in excitedly
Mayhem!
Stickers and home.

Where I coach we try to be "structured" as in we typically don't let them run loose, we have other rec classes going on so we have to be in one area at a time. Also, once the kids get to the next class (3-4yrs), they understand that there is some sort of order to follow. Otherwise once kids get to that class they still run wild because they think its normal which makes life way harder for whoever those kids' coaches are. Providing structure helps kids learn how to follow directions. If parents want to let kids run wild, we have open gym for that. As for the rest of our program, we have plenty of older kids. We definitely don't get too serious too soon. In fact, even our team kids aren't "super serious".

My daughter was in mommy & me for a whole year (4 individual sessions), from 18 months to 2 1/2 years. We did almost all of those skills over the course of the year (but NO back-bends and our coach even warned me to not let my DD try them), but it was more spread out and interspersed with lots of playtime- and a lot of those skills were introduced once and never again, so clearly it was for fun not mastery. Also, our gym has a special preschool room which was part of the class rotation (but not where we spent the whole class) and when we were in there the kids just had free play with parental help. There were little bars, little trampolines, a tunnel, mats, ladders to climb, etc. There was a lot of play in the foam pit- the favorite activity was to hang onto a ring over the foam pit, swing & jump in.

I would be looking for another gym just based on the fact that they are getting toddlers to do back bends. Based on everything I've learned that is irresponsible and doesn't bode well for their understanding of kids' physical development and keeping them safe over the long term.

The other stuff- it just depends on what you want out of gymnastics at this point, and what your daughter likes. I don't think there's any wrong or right answer. I did mommy & me in a different gym with my older daughter at 18 months, and all she wanted to do was stand in front of the mirror and dance- couldn't get her to do gymnastics for the life of me, so we stopped altogether (though they were more skills-focused which might have been part of the problem). Now she does gym (started again at 3 1/2) and loves it. She gets to dance in front of a mirror at dance class, which she probably likes better.

The entire floor circuit is pretty much insane for under 4 years old (there's no way they're going to do any of that except fwd roll downhill). It's completely at the wrong level. More appropriate would be:

1. Roll downhill with assistance
2. Hands down, feet on top of something to invert
3. Over/under maneuver through obstacle
4. Log roll from stomach to back
5. Lay down, reach back off block to invert with neck and back supported straight, lift up toes
6. Hands down on mat, jump feet on little tramp or springboard

Or stations involving matching, tracking a ball by rolling w/hands and feet, walking on a beam etc.

On bars they cannot do crab walk at 19 mos if you mean with stomach up. I have seen some three year olds do it, maybe 50%. Some toddlers might be able to do bear walk (bottom up on hands and feet) but usually you can't get bars close enough for them even the preschool kind. If wider than shoulders they can't support effectively. It's pretty hard to do any on top of the bar skill at that age because of neck/ shoulder girdle development. They can hold the bar with their feet on something basically and do a skill with that. Like scotch sideways, lift their legs up to kick something, or such.

I also teach tot classes and I am absolutely amazed if you're implying that you get ALL of those things in during one single class!?! I teach almost all of those things (except backbends, we don't do backbends with anyone under 5) but the major difference is that I don't do all of those skills in a single class. I have stations set up that we rotate through, and I'm really big on structure but we definitely wouldn't get through all those in one class. I like to focus on a skill/position per week so hypothetically a class might look like this:
Warmup and stretches 5-7min
Stations: 3-4 stations run through twice
#1; straddle hang on bar, forward roll on wedge, side steps on balance beam
#2; straddle jumps on tramp, cartwheel mat, spring board jump up onto mat
Short break where they get to play with equipment
#3; bear crawls on parallell bars, side steps on beam, cartwheel over mat
#4; straddle hang on rings, crawl thru tunnel, straddle roll on wedge
Short fun activity/song
45 min, done. Big emphasis on sitting down and waiting for your turn and listening to directions, no running around or playing with other equipment allowed. (That's what indoor playground, open gym is for)

Now, that is what the skills we work on are... Do I expect 18mo olds to do it perfectly? Of course not!! At that age, heck some of them can't jump on the tramp at all, let alone do a straddle jump. I spot the most "crucial" skill, the parents do the rest. At 3 I start getting a little pickier on what I know they can actually do and work more on the actual skills. :)

I don't think your skills are inappropriate, but if skills are at a level where the kid can't even remotely do it, then it will not really improve their abilities. In some sense any gymnastics helps because any inversion, etc will help develop the vestibular system at that age. But bringing what they do more in line with strengthening their natural developmental movement stage will help their physical/mental coordination more.

Trying to get any 18 month old to do anything like a cartwheel is basically a waste of time. The closest progression I would do is " flanking" around a mat. Hands on the mat and walk around it (can use a mushroom). Otherwise the parent is just lifting them over and the child is not working as hard mentally and physically. The harder progression for an older toddler would be to then put the feet on the mat or floor mushroom (obv can't be too high) and walk the hands around it. This will strengthen the core moving in all directions and prepare them physically and mentally for when they are developmentally ready and physically big enough to successfully execute cartwheel drills. Around 3.5 minimum but that would be only about 25% of kids. Better for them to do a bunny cartwheel but with hands and direction fixed. At 4 they can do X to X cartwheel if prepared.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back