WAG Morning practice...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
I'm having an incredibly hard time getting up for morning practice now that it's summer. I'm tired and sluggish all practice and day and it's becoming a problem... Any tips/suggestions?

The three things I would look at are: rest, nutrition and hydration. Deficits in any of those can contribute to the sluggish feeling you are having.

Assuming the hours aren't any earlier than school, your issue is likely one of nutrition and getting the right energy available. If practice is too early to have a good breakfast 1.5-2 hours ahead of time, then be sure that you're having the right kind of carbs the night before. You might try looking into information for runners, as they usually have their races first thing in the morning, and a ton of people do it, so there's plenty out there to read about it. One example: The Right Way to Carbo-load Before a Race | Runner's World

Okay, this isn't anything nutrition wise that will help, but This always seems to work for me. As soon as you wake up, jump out of bed and make your bed or do some simple aerobic exercises. Whenever I wake up and just lay there not wanting to get up my "sluggishness" just grows.

Gymgirl is on the right track. Instead of just waking up and moving on to your regular morning schedule of getting on the computer, reading the paper, watching tv; get that blood flow and body moving. Think of it as a pre warmup-warmup.

Going to bed earlier or wake up earlier might help. Yeah, it kinda sucks to have to go to bed early when school is not in session.

There is a big transition for most to go from training in the afternoon/evening to morning. 1 month of the summer is basically almost gone and there really is only another month and a half to two months at most.

A lot of the research out there states our body needs about 2-4 hours before training optimally. It is possible to train, right after waking up (within 30-60 minutes) but I wouldn't say it's optimal. You will get used to it as you do it more often.

I'm guessing you are probably starting gym around 9am, possibly as early as 8. Try to at least wake up over an hour before you have to leave for practice, if not 2 or 3. Wake up and eat, even if you don't really feel hungry right after getting out of bed.

I know, being that it's summer you might not want to wake up between 6-7am and feel you can wake up 30 minutes before leaving to practice but this is not optimal.

I start practice at 8, but I am always getting up and ready to go because I lie gym so much, is the reason your feeling "sluggish" is because maybe you don't like gym as much or maybe you don't want it enough to get up and work? Just a thought. No hard feelings please

I start practice at 8, but I am always getting up and ready to go because I lie gym so much, is the reason your feeling "sluggish" is because maybe you don't like gym as much or maybe you don't want it enough to get up and work? Just a thought. No hard feelings please

I LOVE my team and love gymnastics, but I also always have trouble getting up in the morning--sometimes sleeping is just so nice!

According to research, teens have a later circadian rhythm than young kids or adults.

So it's probably not your fault! Your body rhythms just aren't synched up with that schedule!

Well us coaches can't get up ether, thats why our team works in the afternoon all summer, but we have weekends off! YA!

That's why we have coffee and tea. TBH, I generally have my tea besides doing a caffeine spray on my tongue. Instant BOOM! No need to be wondering why the coffee/tea/5hr energy has yet to kick in and praying that it does.

That's why we have coffee and tea. TBH, I generally have my tea besides doing a caffeine spray on my tongue. Instant BOOM! No need to be wondering why the coffee/tea/5hr energy has yet to kick in and praying that it does.

I'm a mega caffinator too. My circadian rhythms think I'm still a teenager.

But...a bunch of caffeine right before flipping around tends to mean lots of bathroom trips...

Thank you for all your responses!! Practice starts at 8 but I have to be at the gym at like 7:50 because a lot of times we start earlier. I think I'm eating pretty well... During the school year is get up at 8 so it is earlier...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back