Parents Moving, leaving our gym, nervous.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

purpleleomom

Proud Parent
We are moving across country in a month, and I realized I have not given notice to our gym. I'm so nervous! We are leaving for a very valid reason, but I still feel guilty. Silly me. It's a great gym with great coaches, and I would recommend it to anyone based on my daughter's short gymnastics career. Time to find a new place we like in a new city.

Would it be appropriate to give DD's coaches a little gift as a token of thanks?

Yes, definitely give the coaches a thank you gift, if you've appreciated them! And if you include a card, you can explain what you're thankful for. That's likely to make their day and give them a real big lift. Good luck for quickly finding another gym that you love in your new location. I hope the move is a good one all around. :)

Oh yes they would appreciate it and I'm sure will wish your dd the best. Hope you have a safe and smooth move to your new home :)

Yes a card/gift would be great. I would let them know ASAP and also ask for recommendations of gyms in the area where you will be living. Good luck with the move - cross country moves are hard.

Definitely ask the coaches for recommendations for new gyms! My kids' gym has gotten great kids this way and has sent kids on to other good gyms this way. And I think the coaches would appreciate a thank you card.

I wouldn't be nervous at all! Moving is the easiest way to "leave a gym" in my opinion. It doesn't feel personal toward the gym in any way. I mean, people have to move for good reasons such as transfers, being stationed somewhere or moving for a job. Those have nothing to do with being unhappy with a gym.

A gift is such a nice gesture. Probably not necessary but so sweet of you to want to do that!

How has your DD not spilled the beans already? My DD could never keep something like that quiet. I'd have to threaten her with I-don't-know-what!

How much should you give a gym that you are moving? (Moving geography that is.... Not switching gyms in the same area)
I'd be fearful the coaches might not put as much effort into a kid they know is leaving in a couple of months......esp. if the kid is a bit of an higher level. Or is that ridiculous to think that?

I wouldn't worry about kids getting less coaching because you have a planned move. We've had several kids move and they got 100% coaching until the time they left. Heck, my DD just quit and she was a little shocked that the coaches still wanted her to work at her usual level for the last few weeks. She thought she would get to just hang out for a little while, but they were still pushing her on giants and BHS on beam (gasp!) until her last week.

How much should you give a gym that you are moving? (Moving geography that is.... Not switching gyms in the same area)
I'd be fearful the coaches might not put as much effort into a kid they know is leaving in a couple of months......esp. if the kid is a bit of an higher level. Or is that ridiculous to think that?

I worried the same thing. These kids are almost like an investment- if there is not going to be a future payoff, what's the effort going to be. I was also concerned they would yank my girls scholarship if they knew we weren't here permanently. I mostly worried for nothing. The coaches have been great about trying to train my girls for where they are headed now, instead of where they would be at our current gym, and there have been zero negative vibes aside for being told we will be missed. The scholarship did poof on me, but not immediately as I had feared- we will be paying the full price in the summer because they declined to offer the scholarship for the next competition year, for obvious reasons.

I always give my girls teachers/coaches at least a four week notice, and sometimes much more. I like to tell everyone as soon as our move is solid, that way the girls can be free with their excitement and sadness and any other emotions about the move.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back