WAG Moving releases to the REAL bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My older dd has a very nice Yeager.... That is on top of the foam block pit. It's perfect and caught every single time, but when she does it between the (real) bars she changes it. She lets go too late or too early and instead of catching them all she catches 1/3. Sometimes even worse. She says she doesn't know why she flings out and she says it hurts! She says that when she misses she slams into the mat and it hurts her neck and face. That is making her very cautious to do them on the real bar.

Any tips? How can I help? I just don't know what to tell her. Her neck is all tight and sore from yesterday's falls.

Omg! I do the exact same thing! Except with a Gienger. I'm starting to hate doing them on the real bar but I suck it up and go, and risk slamming into the mat... I think it's just that it IS different to do them on the competition bar and I am so much more comfortable in our pit bar. If anyone can also help with a Gienger I would appreciate it!

Is the pit bar a single rail or a single rail with a "dummy" low bar that allows her more swing. Any bar skill "mutates" into something just a little different when the amount of swing going into it changes. That's one possible culprit.

If the bars are identical, then I'd be guessing it's trying to get to the end of the skill too quickly to see if she's gonna make it. She maybe needs to alternate one on the pit set-up....one on the comp bars, so split the entire Jeager work into two groups that alternate, do the same amount of Jeagers as normal, and stop everything in her world for a moment after each caught skill, close her eyes to re-live the success to help her identify what a correct one feels like at each key stage, and then repeat that "feeling" on the next attempt.

A visual reference is another good idea. Does she know if she's keeping her eyes open and focused on the same refernce point each time. I used to pick a spot and a head position for a skill very similar to a jeager....with my head held in the exact same position every time, I could tell it was time to let go when that spot traveled through the "bottom" of my range of vision and vanished at the top of the range of vision. I nailed it about 101 times out of 100, and even though it was considered one of those freaky hard skills it was easy for me, and I think it was the visual thing I just described that made it so easy.

very good iwannacoach ^^^!:) my educated guess here is that they don't use a "fake" low bar. you have to have a "fake" low bar in in order for them to "know" where the low bar is so they know precisely when to tap. they can use velcro, pre-wrap or surgical tubing.

They have a single rail with a lot of 8 inchers stacked up, the girls jump from that and it's supposed to be the low bar... Thank you for your help, she says she doesn't always look she just reaches out.

The "look" I was talking about should be done as her legs are swinging behind her and up into the set position prior to the release/salto phase. If I kept my head fixed in a position slightly up from "neutral" I'd find my "spot", a wall at the end of the gym opposite my heels. The backward swing would tilt my body from upright to horizontal, and just slightly past horizontal the wall would leave the upper part of my field of vision......that was my "release" signal. It was consistent as long as I used approximately the same amount of swing each time, and put me in the proper motion to finish the skill "like butter".

I don't think that my response is going to be more helpful than those already posted, but my dd refuses at her old age to learn single-rail releases on the pit bar (she did learn her first releases on a pit bar when she was young). She says that the visual lines are too different and pit bars are often much bouncier (on purpose for learning) and mess with her timing. As for the jaeger, the positioning between the bars is very different between a single-rail and a double-rail (especially if you are 5' 3 1/2" and taller) that it's standard for the transition to "real bars" to be tricky for that particular release.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back