My Daughter is afraid....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lots of great advice here! I too have a DD who struggles daily with fear issues. We do not talk about it at all as DD perceives this as more pressure and she certainly puts way too much pressure on herself already. My DD has overcome her backwalkover on beam issue but is now struggling with her RO-BHS-BT on floor. She will do it but only from hurdle no run. She is also one who is afraid of her power. It is getting better but has taken a very long time.
Best of luck and lots of patience!

I try not to talk about it too much with my DD as it can make the fear worse, but when we do talk about it, I tell her to "make a video in her head" of herself doing the skill. In other words, visualise herself doing it, but she understands the "video" thing better. She usually goes to bed "watching" herself doing the skill over and over, and I guess convincing herself that she can do it.
The first time she did this, it worked wonders the next day at training. Now, if she starts stressing about a certain skill, I just ask her "have you made a video?" and so she goes away somewhere quiet and visualises.

I'm going to put it plain and simple. Stop scaring yourself! I'd come onto many blocks with skills (fly-away, long hang pullover, strap giants, back handspring on beam) and it doesn't help to scare yourself. What I always like to do is to have a coach that you know and trust to catch you. Once, I saw my 50-something year old coach catch a 5'3" level 6 in a fly-away before she hit the ground. That's how I know I can trust the person. And always, always believe in yourself. Trust that you can do it. And if all else fails, no one has ever killed themselves doing a flyaway or back tuck.

-GCG

Thank you everybody - Good news dd did her RO-BHS-BT and now she isn't afraid to tumble backwards. She still hasn't done the fly-away herself, but she did it with her coach lightly spotting her on the regular high bar, so she thinks she can do it now, but she still is uncertain about doing it into the pit :rolleyes:

Yeah!!!!:applause:Just knowing in her own mind she is able to do it, is most of the battle!!! Congrats to her on working thru her back tumbling issues!!! Now it's onto that fly away! Tell her to keep up the hard work. All of her friends at CB are behind her all the way:D!Keep us posted mom.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back