Parents my dd has her first L4 meet on friday

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Monkeygirlsmom

Proud Parent
firs sorry so scarse, life is just soo busy with a 1 yr old (yes 1 naw , where did the time go?)

anyhoe my dd just turned 8 last week and this friday will have her first one, she is nervous and keeps asking what if I fall or dont do my dismount right etc. I just tell her to get back up and have fun and that I am just excited for her to finally get to use what she has worked since she was 2 )

anyhow any advice for me as a parent to keep it fun for her?
(sorry typing 1 handed)

Hey there, Glad you are still around and surviving the businees that a one year old brings.

Good luck to your gymmie for her first L4 meet. She has come a long way!

As for keeping it fun,, why don't you help her make some goals, stuff that has nothing to do with scores, medals or placements. Simple stuff like sticking her BHS or doing the tightest vault she can etc. Then she can feel very succesful and it will take her mind of the big picture. We always plan what we'll do after the meet, which is always ice crea. The type and place is always a big deal. Remind her to cheer for her team mates as that will also take her mind off things and remind her and everyone that the team is a big part of gym.

Great ideas Bog thanks! I will def be using them!
I want this to be so much fun for her , she deserves it!

I have told her that even if she doesnt place or get a medal we are soo proud of her! wanting her to realise that she will prob not get one etc.

there will only be 4 girls in level 4 comepeting as the other kids cannot get out of school etc so I think this may be a good one.

How exciting!!! Good luck to her. Hope that she has a great first meet.

One of Abby's teammates has her first meet soon and is very nervous. The HC has talked to her and told her that every girl has had something happen at that first meet, so not to worry. Even called a few girls over and had them tell her what had happened at that first meet so she would she. She told her first meets are just to get to see what it is like, to just do your best and not worry. (This all was from the girl's mom who had talked to the coach).

So, in that spirit, here is me typing what Abby says about her first meet "I know I fell on beam and missed something on bars. I just got back up and kept going. It was so much fun and I loved meets ever since. Sometimes things still happen like that and I have been competing for a year now"

I agree with Bog. Make some small goals for her to try to meet. Tell her not to worry about scores or placements. I also remind nervous girls that everyone isn't really looking at them. Most people are looking for their own kid or kid's teammates.

Lots of calming fairies for you mama! I always get nervous for my girl.

It seems so long ago that my DD was going to her first meet--give her a hug and tell her no matter what she is your wonderful daughter :) fall or no fall (that's what we say to ours). I hope she has fun-- :) This is my gymnasts second year competing and she gets nervous too --I think as they get competition experience they work through the jitters--
We'll say a pray this Friday for her. Let us know how she does--and have fun yourself you busy lady!

sounds like I got some GREAT advice I soo appreciate it! I just want her to have a great first meet!!

Her coach sent me a nice email asking for help in getting her to concentrate on her form! She just sounded so poss in her email . Ijust love her coach!
(even more after hearing of some the horror stories on here)

So exciting to have her first meet finally !!

It's all about fun. They are so nervous the first meet. Our HC tells us to expect a fall on beam in the first meet - nevres & 4" slab don't always go together. DD fell off beam in her first meet ( entire team did - all 1st meet L3). She also forgot her split jump in another meet.

Just have fun, don't get upset. Hop back in and keep smiling.

I bet she is so excited and maybe a little nervous too. My advice would not be to worry about scores or placements of any kind but to take it all in and enjoy it for what it is, a first meet. I plan to get my daughter something special that she can take to all her meets so that she knows that I support her and it can be a tangible reminder of that while she is on the floor competing. I haven't decided what it will be yet, maybe a necklace, a charm bracelet or a little stuffed dog. (Just something to have in her gym bag)I have some time yet. My dd will compete level 3 next year. Tell her good luck from us!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back