WAG MyMeetScores.com.....some changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's kind of silly though because the records are like for that numeric level for all time so it's really comparing different levels below level 7. Like Level 4 records is mixing the equivalent of level 3 from pre-2013 so vault record is presumably a kid vaulting on a mat.

I don't really care, I would have just thought if you went to the effort of making that software you would care that the levels changed in 2013.

It's kind of silly though because the records are like for that numeric level for all time so it's really comparing different levels below level 7. Like Level 4 records is mixing the equivalent of level 3 from pre-2013 so vault record is presumably a kid vaulting on a mat.

I don't really care, I would have just thought if you went to the effort of making that software you would care that the levels changed in 2013.

I noticed that too, especially for L6 as it is MUCH easier to score well in the new L6 than the old L6. But, I did find it pretty cool to look at, especially for the optional levels. It could be of some use too when looking at a gym move, if the optional level "record" team score is really low (with at least 7+ years of data), it can be a quick way to tell that the gym does not do well at optionals, even if they have killer compulsory team scores.

Hahahaha!! I bet almost all of the record scores came from the same two meets that we do most years, which are notorious for overscoring. Fun to look at, I guess, but I wouldn't put too much weight on it.

Hahahaha!! I bet almost all of the record scores came from the same two meets that we do most years, which are notorious for overscoring. Fun to look at, I guess, but I wouldn't put too much weight on it.
No I agree. The means to correct wrong data and the very limited scope of the data prevents the site from being particularly credible but it does offer small snapshots that are entertaining and sometimes useful.

I've never gotten the feel that the anonymous person/organization that runs MMS.com were particularly conscientious or proud of the site. I would LOVE to see someone buy the site and really do it right. I've said it before and I'll repeat myself now, I would pay an annual subscription to a site that had all scores and a means to evaluate claims that data are incorrect. If I had the technical ability....and the money.....I would do it myself but alas......

The data problems involved in coming up with something that could enable one to make realistic comparisons across gyms would be an interesting practical assignment for a graduate stats class. I think the way I would do it is pick 3-4 large meets and declare them normative (states plus 2-3 large invitationals/sectionals with good reputations for fair/tough scoring). I'd then pick out around 3 large gyms and run some numbers by levels for those meets. (Obviously you need multiple performances by each gymnast to account for variance in their own presentation of the same routines.) Then I'd use those normative scores to run regressions on the other meets to figure out how deviant the scores are, which would enable you to pick out the "ice cream and cookies for all, yay, you stayed on the equipment, here's your 9!" meets. Once you had that information and could "correct" scores in either direction, you could calculate some more meaningful averages and wash out the variance that gyms produce themselves in their selection of meets.

Of course, as I am not a quantitative researcher, I suspect that the outcome one would produce from such an effort would merely confirm what I could learn much more quickly and easily through the approaches I use in my work -- just talk to people. The coaches in any given state know which gyms are the best and could rattle them off with a high degree of inter-coder reliability.

My daughter too has one great meet that was never recorded. I also noticed that 2 of the record holders for her old gym must be wrong as 1 girl scored a 10 on something with mid 8s on the other events and got a 34 AA. Another girl scored a 12 on vault in xcel bronze.

Oh, the site is eaten up with errors. We had a slew of gymnasts added on a specific day that don't even attend our gym.

Yeah mine too. DD once got a killer vault score but it only exists in my memory because the meet didn't post to MMS. :-(
I hear ya! The one meet last year where DD swept first minus one event and had highest team score is non existent on the scoring sites. Pretty annoying too since it was a big famous elite gym.

For both of my girls, the only two meets on MMSs from their first year competing are their worst two all time meets.

I think it's pretty cool, although I certainly understand that it's accuracy is debatable. All of the meets my dd has attended show up there (she's only been competing 2 seasons though!), so that helps. And I was surprised, but happy, to see that the 9.7 my dd received on bars at one of her level 3 meets this season is, supposedly, a record. Perhaps it's not accurate, but still neat to see. I also checked out some of the other gyms in our area, and it was interesting to see their records. And it did give me a slightly better understanding of the history of some of the gyms (for example some used to compete compulsaries, but now compete xcel until optionals). Interesting trivia anyway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back