MyMeetScores site- ranking?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymGirl's Mom

Proud Parent
Ok, from what I have seen on here over the past 2 seasons of my DD competing about 20% of the meets she participates in post on MyMeetScores site. It may be higher or lower for other areas. So, that said how seriously should one take the rankings on there? To me they aren't very accurate- 80% of the meets DD attends are not on there. Just curious. have you ever seen anyone list their ranking on a site such as this if trying to get recruited?

If it's anything like the soccer ranking website I wouldn't really take it too seriously. In soccer, only specific tournaments are included in the ranking site, and there are teams that will purposely only play in those tournaments to get ranked.

My uneducated guess here is that I wouldn't put too much stock in it, but I guess it could be neat the see all the same, because like you said, only some meets are on there, and we always read here how some areas score harder etc.
Ok, from what I have seen on here over the past 2 seasons of my DD competing about 20% of the meets she participates in post on MyMeetScores site. It may be higher or lower for other areas. So, that said how seriously should one take the rankings on there? To me they aren't very accurate- 80% of the meets DD attends are not on there. Just curious. have you ever seen anyone list their ranking on a site such as this if trying to get recruited?

don't waste your time on that...:)

Hahah dunno, I am not, just looked up scores from DD's most recent meet and noticed the "new" 2012 rankings were listed on there now and that made me think.... wonder if these have any merit at all. My guess was that they did not.

no merit what so ever. It would be the ranking based on the meets they have scores for. Since I know there are tons of meets they don't have scores for how can they even say what the rankings are unless they have 100% of the scores.

Out here in California(and I think most of Region 1) EVERY meet has it's results posted online(on this site, and others) - sometimes live, session by session! It is a little crazy, and think it adds to the hysteria over obsession with scores.

Yes sadly wandrewsjr is right. We are inundated with scores around here and that seems to be all anyone cares about. It really is kind of sad in a way because there is no emphasis for the kids around here to look for the little improvements or see the big picture... All they are concerned with is leaving the floor and immediately staring blankly at the board until the score flashes. My child is included in this even though she rarely sees a good score... lol

In my mind a kid should leave the floor and what should matter is that 30 seconds of feedback from the coach, but instead that goes in and out the ears and the scoreboard watching begins.

The parents are guilty of it too sadly (I too am weak and included in this). We don't just watch the meets our girls are at, we go home and look at the scores of other meets with competing gyms to see how they're doing. Compulsory parents do it for the optional meets and vice versa... Seriously it's a sickness round these parts and I think the entire region, myself included, needs a giant intervention.

My name is Sharks3376, and I am a scoreaholic :)

I would like to tell you that I'm not a score-aholic... And I might have believed it too... If it weren't for this past Saturday when they did not flash my daughter's score after her floor routine...:eek::eek:

If we obsessed over scores around here, we would be rather depressed. I'm trying very hard to get away from it this year. (Why yes, I do have a daughter competing L6 bars, why do you ask? A cleanly landed flyaway is a stunning victory!)

But a few meets ago, something happened with the bars rotation and they just stopped flashing scores entirely after the first kid or two -- some of the parents were getting quite agitated so thankfully our head coach logged 'em all and passed them off to one person, who shared them around. If not for that I think there would have been at least two strokes in the audience!

Yes, the score board that flashes the scores is cool... we don't see them very often around here (and certainly nothing as high-tech as scores you can follow online, in realtime, like I've heard some of you talk about), but when they don't work properly, I wish they just had a kid holding up the sign. They didn't flash Kathy's floor score at all, and then after her bar routine (several minutes after her bar routine) they flashed a score for her that was WRONG and turned out to be her floor score. I was hoping it was correct, but given that she missed her squat-on, I should have known that it wasn't.

I blame my interest in scores on all the statistics classes I took in college for my major ;) I like numbers. I don't place a lot of value on scores, but do like to see what my own DD got and then look at the whole picture when the meet is over- see where placements fell, etc. I find it interesting, highly subjective, but interesting- I will never make sense of the scoring (nor try to) but am interested in the big picture of how a meet turned out.

GymGirl's Mom- I love looking at scores too & analyzing all the stats. I just like statistics period. My daughter is pretty much in the middle at most meets, so it's not like I'm obsessed with how she places overall, I just love the stats of it all. I love mymeetscores site because of how you can see a whole level (not just age groups) or pull up just the scores for your gym for all levels at a meet. Or, for the bigger meets with multiple sessions of one level you can pull up all the scores at once and look at placement on any event (although sometimes you may have different judges and then it is not valid). I never have looked at the "top 100 ranking" lists on My meet scores though- probably because I don't have a daughter or even know anyone that would be on that list!

I follow the scores my teammates get every meet, even when I'm not there. I live in California, so mymeetscores has literally every meet, sometimes by event even (if it's states).
I think that mymeetscores is fun if you're looking up what you've gotten in the past, or maybe to compare, but the only time it's 100% reliable is if it's a big meet such as States, Regionals, Nationals, etc.

I just went and looked at my old team and they posted meets when I was competing, but they didn't post hardly any meets from my state (Colorado). My niece is in Virginia and they're pretty good about posting meets there. Her results have all been posted, just on the name of another girl. Not everyone from their team has been posted either. It's weird!

I think it's a neat website. All of DD's scores are posted, but she often has her name mispelled at meets so she has several listings with the creative spellings.

As far as the top 100 rankings go, it's neat to see, but I wouldn't put any stock in it. But if the top AA score in level 5 is a 39 or something you can bet that child is probably a pretty good gymnast and probably is one of the best level 5's in the country. It's not like at a different meet with the same routines she would suddenly be scoring a 33 AA. So I think it's fun to see the highest scores in each level.

Well, it must mean something, because my dd's old gym (well not really, because her old gym imploded, but those who were left to take over) keep promoting how well those girls left did on the website. Siting that they are in the top 100.

I just went and looked at my old team and they posted meets when I was competing, but they didn't post hardly any meets from my state (Colorado). My niece is in Virginia and they're pretty good about posting meets there. Her results have all been posted, just on the name of another girl. Not everyone from their team has been posted either. It's weird!

Really? That's very strange.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back