WAG Nationals super team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All I care about is that it's reasonably accessible for the majority of the country. A few years ago it was down south (Louisiana or Mississippi if I'm not mistaken) and I remember hearing that flights were quite expensive, and the meet location was very hard to get to from the closest airport and everyone had to rent a car. I'm good with spreading the "wealth" out east or west, but it would be great if it was close enough that someone could take a cab or airport shuttle to the general vicinity. CA is ridiculously expensive all around - we had friends that went to men's nationals a while back and the cost of hotel/car/food was insane. I know that if you live out there, you're kind of used to it, but a Midwest income will only get you so far in the Golden State!

All I care about is that it's reasonably accessible for the majority of the country. A few years ago it was down south (Louisiana or Mississippi if I'm not mistaken) and I remember hearing that flights were quite expensive, and the meet location was very hard to get to from the closest airport and everyone had to rent a car. I'm good with spreading the "wealth" out east or west, but it would be great if it was close enough that someone could take a cab or airport shuttle to the general vicinity. CA is ridiculously expensive all around - we had friends that went to men's nationals a while back and the cost of hotel/car/food was insane. I know that if you live out there, you're kind of used to it, but a Midwest income will only get you so far in the Golden State!
This is so true! We had 4 girls from our gym qualify to westerns this year (we are in MN), and the average cost for the mom and daughter just to fly to Salt Lake City was $1200!! that was just the flight! I was so thankful that flights to Cincinnati were so much cheaper (3 of us were able to fly to Cincinnati for $400 total).

One other thing that I noticed while at nationals was the disparity between what each region does for their girls. Region 4 did NOTHING! So many other regions had their girls wear fun things during march in (flashy sunlasses, flower head crowns, pom poms, etc..) and I also saw and heard so many of the other regions shouting out their "battle cry" during the meet. I really wish that region 4 would have done something. Even having all the parents sit together in the stands would have been nice. I would totally volunteer to take this on next year!!!

This is so true! We had 4 girls from our gym qualify to westerns this year (we are in MN), and the average cost for the mom and daughter just to fly to Salt Lake City was $1200!! that was just the flight! I was so thankful that flights to Cincinnati were so much cheaper (3 of us were able to fly to Cincinnati for $400 total).
Though I would imagine one of the reasons flights were more to Westerns was because there was less time between Regionals and Westerns than JO's.

That Long Beach JO's was 2011, which was the last time the meet was held in the Pacific or Mountain time zones. Have a very hard time buying the “no one else willing to host” argument. So Salt Lake City(or any city that has hosted Westerns in the last 8 years) was willing to host Westerns but NOT JO's?
If u set something up so that it's not viable for others because you require this that and this and only gonna pay you this, it doesn't exactly fall into the "no one willing" category. It falls into the we made sure that no one was willing category.

YES!!! Accessibility and affordability is good! Minneapolis and Des Moines were our most expensive JO flights by far. Jackson had not much to do near the venue, and flying in was a nightmare! Ft Worth, Indy and Cincy were all good for most people we know coming from all over!

YES!!! Accessibility and affordability is good! Minneapolis and Des Moines were our most expensive JO flights by far. Jackson had not much to do near the venue, and flying in was a nightmare! Ft Worth, Indy and Cincy were all good for most people we know coming from all over!
We were quite surprised by how much we enjoyed downtown Cincinnati and we wish we would have stayed for one extra night. I really wasn't expecting much, which is why we only planned to spend one night there. I would not be disappointed if it was there again!

That had to be because of the short turn around time between Regionals and Nationals. I went to college in Utah (family on the East coast) and could almost always get a cheap flight home & back, including holiday weekends and peak travel times. Sometimes I would need to fly weird hours, but it always worked out. SLC is a great place for affordable travel and would be a great host for JO Nationals. Gymnastics is pretty big in the area, some very solid level 10 programs, and plenty of facilities and "extras" within arms reach to make it a fun meet.
Travel will be expensive for someone no matter where the meet is. I'm sure the folks from Region 1/2 had much higher travel costs to Cincinnati. I think that's one of the reasons it's important to move it around so the same people don't end up footing massive travel bills every year (except for poor Alaska and Hawaii, they just can't win).

I was told that flights are cheaper going west than east.
on average it is cheaper (not much) to fly roundtrip west rather than east. Now if you waited until a week prior it's no wonder you paid so much . It's also very hard(long flight with layovers) to travel to Cincinnati or Iowa or Indianapolis ... these are not popular destinations. So the whole "we don't want to add $10 dollars to the entry fees because it's too much (making the meet profitable for a second host " is dwarfed by the cost of flights....

I was told that flights are cheaper going west than east.

on average it is cheaper (not much) to fly roundtrip west rather than east. Now if you waited until a week prior it's no wonder you paid so much . It's also very hard(long flight with layovers) to travel to Cincinnati or Iowa or Indianapolis ... these are not popular destinations. So the whole "we don't want to add $10 dollars to the entry fees because it's too much (making the meet profitable for a second host " is dwarfed by the cost of flights....
No, I didn't pay that much. We paid $400 for 3 of us to fly from Minneapolis to Cincinnati and we didn't book our flights until a week before nationals. The other families that had to go to Utah for westerns are the ones that paid over $1,000 for their flights and they booked way before we did.

I went to college in Utah (family on the East coast) and could almost always get a cheap flight home & back, including holiday weekends and peak travel times. Sometimes I would need to fly weird hours, but it always worked out. SLC is a great place for affordable travel and would be a great host for JO Nationals. Gymnastics is pretty big in the area, some very solid level 10 programs, and plenty of facilities and "extras" within arms reach to make it a fun meet.

I was thinking the same; SLC is a major western hub for Delta and other airlines. with decent fares from both east and west, and good transit in the city. I think it would make a great location. Not to mention it's absolutely beautiful! The only concern I might have is altitude. But I'd be thrilled if it was there for my dd's senior year.

Of course,we still have months of ACL rehab to contend with and it's a long shot to qualify again after so much time out, but we've got all the fingers crossed and she's dreaming big! Maybe some mountain air would further inspire her :D

No, I didn't pay that much. We paid $400 for 3 of us to fly from Minneapolis to Cincinnati and we didn't book our flights until a week before nationals. The other families that had to go to Utah for westerns are the ones that paid over $1,000 for their flights and they booked way before we did.
Ah I see. So the flip side is , if westerns was in SL every year a certain group would always pay more. Which isn't right . So when JO's is held in the same region year after year the outcome is the same, which is a certain group always pays more. All culminating meets should be circulated around each year

Ah I see. So the flip side is , if westerns was in SL every year a certain group would always pay more. Which isn't right . So when JO's is held in the same region year after year the outcome is the same, which is a certain group always pays more. All culminating meets should be circulated around each year
I completely agree. It should be on some sort of rotation schedule, region 1, then region 2, and so on....If they did that then at least people would know the general vicinity of where nationals are going to be held every year.

One other thing that I noticed while at nationals was the disparity between what each region does for their girls. Region 4 did NOTHING! So many other regions had their girls wear fun things during march in (flashy sunlasses, flower head crowns, pom poms, etc..) and I also saw and heard so many of the other regions shouting out their "battle cry" during the meet. I really wish that region 4 would have done something. Even having all the parents sit together in the stands would have been nice. I would totally volunteer to take this on next year!!!
Well... Frankly we are chanting because te environment is just lame! The meet host (usag ) could easily drum up the crowd. Westerns was ridiculously quiet as well. Put up some balloons maybe some decorations ? Definitely both westerns and JO did not feel or look like a championship event...

Well... Frankly we are chanting because te environment is just lame! The meet host (usag ) could easily drum up the crowd. Westerns was ridiculously quiet as well. Put up some balloons maybe some decorations ? Definitely both westerns and JO did not feel or look like a championship event...
So true!!! There weren't even programs to purchase! And the bleachers...I thought I was going to break my neck walking up and down them.

I’ve been to Iowa, Indy and Cincy for JOs and Battle Creek Michigan for Easterns... the cities are all fine and transportation is reasonably ok for us but it would be nice to go somewhere more interesting! We’ve been hoping for somewhere far away (missed out on the Texas year). I’m all for California! Too bad it’s not up to us parents. Someone will always have time zone issues and someone will always have to pay a little more. (Says the mom who just paid $800 per ticket to go to Seattle next weekend and will be suffering through all day travel and three time zones). It’s all part of the sport! Every region 1 person I met last weekend was very excited to be there and friendly and easy going about the travel and time zones! And like someone else said - they certainly were impressive! Coachp - you and all of Region 1 are doing something right.

Never going to be perfect travel parity for everyone(you Alaska/Hawaii folks will always get the short end of the stick), but for a meet that has a different location around the nation every year, a little spreading around to the west half of the nation would be a good goal. 7 years in a row in the eastern half not very spready.

It does seem USAG has tried to do a little "making up" for it by having Westerns in Region 2 and 1 the last few years, but that shouldn't be either. Spreading JO's(and westerns/easterns) around to all of the Regions within should be a goal unto itself.

There's always next year! Hope springs eternal! (Though thoroughly expecting central/eastern time zone to be announced as host for the 8th year in a row...)

Back to the original topic -- what is the Super Team? People? Teams? States? Scores? Something else? All of the above?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back