WAG Need advice L6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree that often gyms miscommunicate or say they intend to do something with a level or some gymnast in particular and as they get closer to implementing they realize for a variety of reasons that the initial plan is not the best one. Unfortunately, I think coaches often try to avoid having to have the hard discussion abut changing their minds or approach to something. So, no tonly is a case of poor communication, parents and athletes start questioning if what they were initially told was ever going to happen and have they been lied to.

That being said, your situation does seem fishy with the timing of the big donation.

I think the whole thing sounds fishy too (especially about donating money!)--if you decide to leave, I would make the move sooner rather than later--moving too close to competition season just isn't good (plus you definitely wont get your money back if the fees have already been paid for the meets). And as to your comment about leaving her friends--she will make some new friends at the new gym (if that's what you decide). Make sure you visit and observe their coaching style--don't just move blindly because they'll let her compete level 6. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

We are in a similiar situation. This makes me wonder if many gyms operate this way. I have a friend that is on her 4th gym (due to moves not hopping). She says that, while some are worse than others, they all have their dysfunction and communication issues.

Is there any way to work out some middle ground with the current gym? Could she compete level 5, but workout with the level 7s full or part time? Since you've already got money at the current gym, is it financially better for you to stay and up skill in private lessons or commute and join the new gym (with the new booster club and uniforms, etc.)?

SGMOM, she would compete 5 and they say work L7 skills. So far there has been very little L7. Maybe it's because they are having the first meet in December. I think we either have to stay or lose the money. I guess I could fight them in court but, it all seems so messy. I just want dd to feel comfortable and proud of herself. I'm inclined to let this be a pivotal year for her; where we walk after the season if she doesn't get what she needs.
As far as the donations go, the little girl involved really deserved to move up. I would say that a good 60% of the girls that moved up were major donors. They hang a 8 foot sign from the rafters when someone donates a large amount of money. Her mom donated and the kid seemed to get attention lavished on her. She really blossomed and is doing well. I just don't understand why all of the girls aren't treated like that. They'd have an amazing team. Does anyone have $5K I can borrow... Kidding :p

I would say that a good 60% of the girls that moved up were major donors. They hang a 8 foot sign from the rafters when someone donates a large amount of money. Her mom donated and the kid seemed to get attention lavished on her.

This raises all kinds of red flags for me...I would be VERY uncomfortable with this kind of setup. Long-term, this is a recipe for disaster. Sets up athletes and families to be at odd and always trying to win favor with the gym and coaches. For this year, you might be stuck but I'd be very cautious going forward. It might not be the place you want to be long term.

That being said, I hope she has a great season. It would be great if they'd allow her to compete 1 Level 6 meet later in the season so that she can score out and train for Level 7 after season.

Good luck!

SGMOM, she would compete 5 and they say work L7 skills. So far there has been very little L7. Maybe it's because they are having the first meet in December. I think we either have to stay or lose the money. I guess I could fight them in court but, it all seems so messy. I just want dd to feel comfortable and proud of herself. I'm inclined to let this be a pivotal year for her; where we walk after the season if she doesn't get what she needs.
As far as the donations go, the little girl involved really deserved to move up. I would say that a good 60% of the girls that moved up were major donors. They hang a 8 foot sign from the rafters when someone donates a large amount of money. Her mom donated and the kid seemed to get attention lavished on her. She really blossomed and is doing well. I just don't understand why all of the girls aren't treated like that. They'd have an amazing team. Does anyone have $5K I can borrow... Kidding :p

Wow, the part about the banner is CRAZY. I would get out of there ASAP.

That is disgusting. Favouritism is one thing, but this is buying what you have already paid for. No way is that okay. I hope she does well this season, but I would be out of there as soon as I could be.

wallinbl, Oh... our gym is a for profit. people just donate to the team for.... I'm not sure what? Hmmmm..... good question. They did take a hefty donation for equipment... That I know is one use of funds.

That is disgusting. Favouritism is one thing, but this is buying what you have already paid for. No way is that okay. I hope she does well this season, but I would be out of there as soon as I could be.

Were do I sign the petition to run these folks (gym owners/head coach) out of town. I would hate to be at the mercy of my "wallet" and it's ability to grease the owners opinions of my child, who would eventually firgure all of this out. These donors would be better off pooling their resources to open up another gym in town, and hire a good director to keep everyone in line.

It seems like the problem isn't a coaching one but a lack of ability to communicate with parents. We are very honest with our team parents and tell them that we don't ever compete Level 6 as a season, only a meet or two to move up to Level 7 (and that's when we know they are ready to compete level 7).

Repeating 5 and the next season competing 7 isn't such a bad thing IF they are repeating 5 but placing a larger percentage of their training time training skills for 6 and 7 and not only doing what's in the Level 5 routine. If they are repeating 5 AND only doing what's in the routine then that is pure laziness on the part of the staff.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back