Parents Need advice on coaching situation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sminty

Proud Parent
Hi everyone - I am a new poster on this forum, but have already learned a lot as a lurker! I'm hoping to tap into the collective CB wisdom for help on a frustrating situation. First, the background (sorry if this is long): DD has been at her gym for ~3 years and competed for the first time in the fall as an L3. Her gym is a large rec gym with a decent JO team through L8 (one L9). She's been relatively happy there and has bonded with her teammates. However, there have been some issues. First, the owner creates a poor environment for the coaches and the turnover is very high. DD is on her 3rd team coach in the course of one year. Second, the coaching has been just ok. Mostly they just do endless skill repetitions, with little in the in the way of progressions or technique/form corrections. HC was better in this regard, but for some reason only coached the higher and lower levels, but not DD's team.

I've considered a gym switch but the hurdle is very high due to location and scheduling issues, and because I think DD would rather stay. Nonetheless I was starting to seriously look at other options when we were informed that HC was leaving (along with half of the team, but that's another story). The owner recruited another HC, who is actually very qualified. I was excited to hear this and immediately contacted the owner to ask if new HC would be working with DD's team (along with her existing coach). She assured me that HC would be directly involved in coaching all of the levels. From the practice I attended I was impressed with HC's emphasis on basics, form and conditioning. Well, fast-forward 3 weeks and other than that first workout (and leading warm-ups), HC has not been involved with DD's group at all. So, now we are back to where we were before and I am extremely annoyed with the whole situation.

What do you think? Is 3 weeks enough time to draw any conclusions? Should I contact the owner? Try to talk to HC? I haven't even met her yet and don't know what I would say. Help, please!

I would talk to them too and see what the long term plan is for training groups. It is often difficult to transition into an existing structure and they may just be trying their best to make it work until some changes can be made (like rearranged training schedule for summer might be when they're planning to make a wholesale change). Good luck!

Has your summer schedule started? If you're still in the school year schedule I would wait and see about summer if that's when the new level groups start.

I say talk to them as well. Let the HC share her vision and how she hopes to be involved in the team as a whole. Although she may not coach your child's team, she may be training your daughter's current coach. If you continue to have constant coaching changes throughout the summer/year, it may be worth looking into another program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back