WAG Need advice - what level, what gym, what path

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

While you definitely shouldn't worry about being "only" a level 4 at your age (you're still doing things that most kids will never do), it seems to me that you are interested in 2 things: 1) progressing and continuing to improve and 2) having a good time while doing it. As a high school kid with LOTS of choices of how to spend your free time, those are totally reasonable goals and your current gym isn't meeting them. If you were 8 and your mom was on here saying "my little darling is bored and I want her to move up to 5. Should I move her to a different gym?" my advice would be different. But I f you were my daughter, I'd want to find you a strong Xcel program with some other high school girls in it. Xcel will allow you to move ahead and do harder skills in the events you're stronger in. Having a weakness in one event won't hold you back. And, as others have mentioned, you can have your own routines and music that will let you show off your stuff. You can even upgrade your skills as the season progresses.
Yes, that is what I am interested in. That is also what I was thinking, I think I would be happier in xcel.

Your coach always has your best interest in mind (I would hope). Do you have an excel team at your gym? Maybe that why they are pushing you away from excel. I think you sound like an excellent candidate to be an excel. You sound like a excel gold maybe platinum (platinum would be more like level 5/6) just because you do excel doesn't mean you can't come back to USA levels in the future (although you would have to score out at levels if you came back to USA levels) personally I would look into excel at your gym or another gym nearby if your gym doesn't have that option. I would stay on the USA levels path if you can see yourself doing a cast handstand on bars, have a good layout on floor flight series on beam BHS,BHS and can see yourself flipping a vault within the next few seasons. If not than I feel you my be wasting your years of the sport away if you stay on this track you will be a level 6/7 in like 3/4years. Hope this helps but talking to your coach about this is the best way to go to see there vision of where they see you in the next few years.
We do have an xcel team, 1 xcel silver and 1 xcel gold. So technically not a team, but we have two girls. My gym won't allow me to go into xcel because I don't have any bad fears (both girls won't back tumble) and they see me becoming an optional before I graduate. I think with hard work I could do that, but time is also running out.

Also - even if I did somehow convince my coaches to let me do xcel, if I decide in a couple years that I wanted to switch back - I couldn't

Xcel is not just for bad gymnasts. There are many reasons that a girl would choose to do xcel. 1- they don't want to do all the hours that a USA levels gymnast doses (my 5 train 15-18hr & my optionals train 18-25hr Xcel train 9-13hr) 2- they are not strong on one event that will hurt there AA score or love of the sport. 3- they started gymnastics late and would like to compete and being a level 4 competing against 6-9 year olds in not that fun. I just think that everyone has to stop with the Xcel is for bad gymnasts stuff if it keep a kid in the gym doing the sport they love they should have that opportunity. I know plenty of gyms that score out of level 5 and put their kids in Xcel and the ones that get their skills to come back to USA levels come back and some stay in Xcel. I use Xcel sliver as my pre-team/class level.

Xcel is not just for bad gymnasts. There are many reasons that a girl would choose to do xcel. 1- they don't want to do all the hours that a USA levels gymnast doses (my 5 train 15-18hr & my optionals train 18-25hr Xcel train 9-13hr) 2- they are not strong on one event that will hurt there AA score or love of the sport. 3- they started gymnastics late and would like to compete and being a level 4 competing against 6-9 year olds in not that fun. I just think that everyone has to stop with the Xcel is for bad gymnasts stuff if it keep a kid in the gym doing the sport they love they should have that opportunity. I know plenty of gyms that score out of level 5 and put their kids in Xcel and the ones that get their skills to come back to USA levels come back and some stay in Xcel. I use Xcel sliver as my pre-team/class level.
I agree completely. OP's gym has specific requirements for Xcel... older - stuck in compulsories because of fears. It's her team's first year having Xcel... and they are being picky about who can do it.
At our gym, there is the ability to go back to JO from Xcel if the skills come. One girl competed Platinum last season and will compete L5 this season for two meets, then move to L6. We practice the same number of hours no matter what level of team they are.

We do have an xcel team, 1 xcel silver and 1 xcel gold. So technically not a team, but we have two girls. My gym won't allow me to go into xcel because I don't have any bad fears (both girls won't back tumble) and they see me becoming an optional before I graduate. I think with hard work I could do that, but time is also running out.
Nah, you need a TEAM! A bunch of girls in your general age range. My DD is the only Diamond at her gym (just switched from level 8) but there are a good number of Platinums, many of them close in age to her (14). And there appear to be some silvers about her age too. They don't practice together so she doesn't know them, but next year they'll probably be in the same training group.

I agree. My gym is just being extremely picky. They aren't using it for bad gymnasts, nobody is a bad gymnast! Anybody who has the courage to do this sport is definitely good, no matter there level! However, we are using it for girls who may not have the time (either in the moment or old) to become an optional, or girls who have fears. I don't fall into those categories, therefore I am not able to compete xcel at my gym, since I will become an optional evventually. My gym will also not allow movement from xcel to JO unless you did xcel at another gym and are switching into ours.

I would like to point out something about xcel. The gym obviously is not trying to win, as they aren't even trying to put together an actual team. They are using it as a vehicle through high school. Yes, you are in high school, but in comparison to those on the xcel team, you have a way larger advantage. You will back tumble, and have no other real blocks. Your coaches know whats best for you, and right now, xcel may not be your best choice. There is somewhat more "respect" if you will, getting to JO optionals, rather than being stuck in xcel because compulsories don't work with you. You have plenty of talent, and it doesn't seem too far fetched that you could be a level 7 come your junior year. The xcel gold, who would otherwise be a level 4, is a junior. Your odds of succeding in JO are good. That's just my two cents, xcel may not be the best for your position right now. Sorry if this was all over he place.

@agscc401 | If they're only going to allow you to train and practice Level 4 skills if you compete another season of Level 4, then is it an option to not compete? If your gym allows such a strategy, and you're not opposed to the idea, then you can make some really serious headway towards the levels you desire by taking a season off from meets and spend every waking moment uptraining.

Just a thought.

I would think a repeat of 4 would be a waste of a season for the OP - especially if they don't uptrain. Think about what that means - no flyaway'ing, no tucks on floor, no walkover on beam? If her gym won't let her at least train w/ 5's or Xcels (the level she trains is a lot more important than what she competed), I think she should investigate other gyms. She's a 15-16 year old w/o fear issues and most of her L5 skills - she needs to be working towards bigger skills than what is in L4. I would answer differently if she was younger.

I would like to point out something about xcel. The gym obviously is not trying to win, as they aren't even trying to put together an actual team. They are using it as a vehicle through high school. Yes, you are in high school, but in comparison to those on the xcel team, you have a way larger advantage. You will back tumble, and have no other real blocks. Your coaches know whats best for you, and right now, xcel may not be your best choice. There is somewhat more "respect" if you will, getting to JO optionals, rather than being stuck in xcel because compulsories don't work with you. You have plenty of talent, and it doesn't seem too far fetched that you could be a level 7 come your junior year. The xcel gold, who would otherwise be a level 4, is a junior. Your odds of succeding in JO are good. That's just my two cents, xcel may not be the best for your position right now. Sorry if this was all over he place.
Thanks for your insight. I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure that repeating 4 is the best choice either :/

@agscc401 | If they're only going to allow you to train and practice Level 4 skills if you compete another season of Level 4, then is it an option to not compete? If your gym allows such a strategy, and you're not opposed to the idea, then you can make some really serious headway towards the levels you desire by taking a season off from meets and spend every waking moment uptraining.

Just a thought.
We asked about this. They said no: "it is a competitive team, not a rec team."

I would think a repeat of 4 would be a waste of a season for the OP - especially if they don't uptrain. Think about what that means - no flyaway'ing, no tucks on floor, no walkover on beam? If her gym won't let her at least train w/ 5's or Xcels (the level she trains is a lot more important than what she competed), I think she should investigate other gyms. She's a 15-16 year old w/o fear issues and most of her L5 skills - she needs to be working towards bigger skills than what is in L4. I would answer differently if she was younger.
Sure, I have some fears. Every gym does. But they are random skills: front handspring punch fronts on floor, cast pushaway flyaways on bars. But none of those skills are really needed until 6/7. In order to uptrain your have to stick 10 of your levels skills in a row. By the time you do that we have already moved on. For example, I have to land 10 cartwheels in a row before I move on to walkovers. We have about 4 minutes. You get maybeee one turn of uptraining, if that. Mind you, that is on low beam too. Since I already have a bwo its' pointless to keep doing it on low beam. The gym makes us train with the level we compete, expect for those expections when I need a different bar set- I'll go with the optionals; or we switch some kids based on needs... it's rare though. I think that doing xcel for a year or two at a different gym and then moving into optionals if I am ready whether at my gym or not will be my best bet.

Reactions: COz
Sure, I have some fears. Every gym does. But they are random skills: front handspring punch fronts on floor, cast pushaway flyaways on bars. But none of those skills are really needed until 6/7. In order to uptrain your have to stick 10 of your levels skills in a row. By the time you do that we have already moved on. For example, I have to land 10 cartwheels in a row before I move on to walkovers. We have about 4 minutes. You get maybeee one turn of uptraining, if that. Mind you, that is on low beam too. Since I already have a bwo its' pointless to keep doing it on low beam. The gym makes us train with the level we compete, expect for those expections when I need a different bar set- I'll go with the optionals; or we switch some kids based on needs... it's rare though. I think that doing xcel for a year or two at a different gym and then moving into optionals if I am ready whether at my gym or not will be my best bet.

If you don't like that, it sounds like you need a different gym. And I think if you choose to do that you need to accept that the door will be closed for optionals at the current gym.

I don't see any problem with the above and it sounds like you are getting to do other skills. That said I think you are correct that with the focus of Xcel being different, you may get to do some other things, but it probably depends what level you will be placed at there. It is an option but may not lead to optionals down the road.

I don't think there's any problem with that and at your age the most realistic thing to do may be to focus on getting to platinum/diamond.

Thanks :) gonna ask my parents if we can schedule a few evals this week :)

This I'd imo the best move. See what else is out there and then make an educated decision. Do you have any other gyms that might take you into L5? The challenge here is a lot of gyms in Region 8 at least won't take new gymnasts for team after Labor Day. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Your coach always has your best interest in mind (I would hope).

I really wish this were always true, but it isn't always. To me is sounds like they want to keep her on the team for the $$ and are discouraging her for moving to somewhere that is more aligned with her goals. Yet they also aren't willing to be at all flexible in their approach to the overall team "rules". I'd say move.

Reactions: sce
I really wish this were always true, but it isn't always. To me is sounds like they want to keep her on the team for the $$ and are discouraging her for moving to somewhere that is more aligned with her goals. Yet they also aren't willing to be at all flexible in their approach to the overall team "rules". I'd say move.
The gym had no real reaction to OP saying that she may go to another gym, Im not sure the money is it.

Most of my coaches are great. They support me as long as I am happy. However, they think that I would be best repeating 4 and becoming an optional junior year, possibly senior year. They want me on level 4 because I am missing like 2 skills - both I am right there. They want my scores for team - they will place me in the level that I will best help the team - level 4. I am planning on talking to my parents tonight.

If you don't like that, it sounds like you need a different gym. And I think if you choose to do that you need to accept that the door will be closed for optionals at the current gym.

I don't see any problem with the above and it sounds like you are getting to do other skills. That said I think you are correct that with the focus of Xcel being different, you may get to do some other things, but it probably depends what level you will be placed at there. It is an option but may not lead to optionals down the road.

I don't think there's any problem with that and at your age the most realistic thing to do may be to focus on getting to platinum/diamond.
IF I am allowed back at my current gym if I switch, I think that I will have the chance to be an optional.

However, getting to diamond could also work for my goals :)

This I'd imo the best move. See what else is out there and then make an educated decision. Do you have any other gyms that might take you into L5? The challenge here is a lot of gyms in Region 8 at least won't take new gymnasts for team after Labor Day. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Probably not. I know of one that would probably have me do a year of gold/platnium then go to 6- that could work. Another would probably have me score out of gold and do platnium. The last would have me do silver and possibly gold toward the end. Not sure about some other gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back