WAG Need camp info ASAP

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
Hi, Our head coach has asked me to gauge interest in attending camp NEXT summer (I'm BC prez, she's heinously busy). In the past, the complaint has always been not enough time to budget money so yes, even though it is just fall, we're thinking about next summer.

We are in Kentucky. Flip Fest is closer but our coach loves Woodward. I'm getting ready to start calling/emailing parents about both options but I need some numbers for Woodward. They've already taken down their costs from summer 2012. I know the rates may change but if anyone could share what they paid to attend Woodward this past summer, it would give me a starting place to talk to my parents.

I appreciate any info that can be shared.

Actually, the new books for Woodward should be coming out in the not-too-distant future. You can probably get on their mailing list on their website. There is a $50 discount if you register (with a $200 deposit) by the end of January. I believe the cost for my DD's session was $880, so we registered early and paid $830... or something like that. This was an earlier session, so it was one of the cheaper ones. In the past, I think there was also an additional $50 discount for teams bringing more than 20 kids, but I don't remember seeing that in the literature last year. I think now the kids who come with a large team now get to stay an extra night and get a t-shirt and maybe a pizza party or something. I don't remember because there were only 14 from DD's team last summer. Maybe this summer we'll reach critical mass.

DD LOVES Woodward, though of course I have heard wonderful things about Flip Fest and all of the other camps out there too. DD says that Woodward makes her feel "free." I think she would live there, if she could. It is definitely one of the highlights of her summer and, I hope, something she will remember fondly for her whole life. I certainly still remember my UN-fond memories of camp (my parents made me go to church camp, which always seemed to be sports-oriented, whereas I would have done much better at a music camp or a creative writing camp or something...).

Our gym went to Woodward last year during one of the higher priced weeks (the prices vary about $100/week based on week you chose last year). I think it was $950 for the week but you got a discount if you put your deposit in by a certain time of either $50 or $100 dollars off (sorry, I can't remember). They also offer some scholarships, usually discounting the price.

Thanks for the fast replies! I figured there was a price difference depending on week much like Flip Fest has. I just need a ball park to begin talking to parents. These numbers give me the info I need. Thanks!

Week 11 at Woodward (Mid August) was one of the least expensive weeks (why our gym chose it), we paid $895 before any discounts. If your team has 20 or more kids, they get an extra night at camp with a pizza party, t-shirts for all the girls and their picture in the brochure. Our gym had 19 girls :(

Not sure on prices. But to give you perpective.

I'm also in Kentucky. I went to Woodward two years ago (on a scholarship) and yes the drive was long (We choose to drive as Flying would have been even MORE expensive) But the drive was manageable, we went down the day before and stayed in a hotel in State College overnight. Which by the way, not sure which hotel but I'll check for you if you want, if you mentioned you were going to Woodward you got a MAJOR discount.

I very much enjoyed Woodward, even in a cabin that I absolutely hated (The girls stayed up till 3 and 4am talking and such), I still had a WONDERFUL time!!

I went to Flipfest this year (Since I'm to old for the scholarship at Woodward) and since it was a whole lot closer. I did have fun, and had a great cabin. But honestly I didn't enjoy the week all that much. Don't get me wrong it's a great camp with wonderful coaches. But I simply didn't enjoy it.

If i had to choose I would choose Woodward for sure. To each their own opinion, but that's mine.

I do plan on going Week 12 next summer for the adult week.

the range for woodward is $650-950, depending on the week. But they have $50 discounts for early birds and I believe and extra $50 for early bird teams. So that helps. Still very expensive and the drive is long.... DD has gone with her team twice and has loved it though. Personally, I would prefer flip fest because it has sibling weeks and we could ship our others there too. :) And also, as the girls get older, I am not so keen on them being so close to teen boys (not there for gymnastics) without "proper" supervision (woodward).

I really wish we lived closer to one of these camps!! We are in New England, and DD went to USGTC...it was $1,200 for one week...these camps sound like a deal :rolleyes:

From Kentucky I would not go to Woodward...it's so far. I know a lot of people who have enjoyed Flip Fest so I would go with convenient location over anything else. In overall experience I do think these camps are comparable.

Kentucky has a camp that's shorter, but it's also 1/2 the cost for overnight. Affordability is the main reason people skip these camps, so it might be worth a thought. Kentucky Wildcats Official Athletic Site - Women's Gymnastics

There are other NCAA teams that have these camps (NC State, WVU and Penn State come to mind off the top of my head - I know people who have gone to all and enjoyed them a lot), so it's worth checking into any university in your state. The cost is generally less, even the ones that do a full week.

I agree that, for the difference in distance and cost, FlipFest is probably just as good as Woodward. Not as many bells and whistles in terms of free time activities, but more than enough to keep them busy and a smaller scale camp which means kids are a little less likely to get "lost in the crowd."
I'm guessing you are in central or western KY (not a whole lot in the way of gyms in the eastern part of the state), so if that's the case WVU wouldn't be super convenient, but they do have a good program at a reasonable price. I think Ohio State also has a summer camp, so depending on you're location it could be an option.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back