WAG Need help- drills for coaching exam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

iamagymbabe

Coach
Gymnast
So I've got my coaching exam coming up next week and I've got a basic idea of what I'm going to do, but I need a few more ideas for drills for some of the skills.

For 'arm pulling strength' all I have is 5X chin ups in overgrasp and 5X chin ups in undergrasp, but obviously that won't take up much time and I don't know what else to do. Also, some of children I'm coaching are pretty young and not that strong yet.

For 'handstand forward roll' I have: front support on floor and coach lifts feet to handstand (not sure if this one is all that beneficial), hands on floor and feet on block and lift one foot at a time up to handstand, supported handstand on floor and supported handstand forward roll. Obviously I need some more drills but I'm stuck as to what to use.

For vault the skill is 'run, hurdle, take off, land' so I was thinking of having a circuit of stations- a running station, hurdle station, jump and land station all for 1 minute each then switch. Then put the run and hurdle together, then move on to the whole skill. Is there anything else I could add.

Bars is the one I'm probably having the most difficulty with. The skills is 'back hip circle' and I only have: dish shape on floor, front support shape on floor/or on floor bar and then supported back hip circles.

Help!!

More pullups. Could be a set of 5 in over and under off a block with the body horizontally. Or just one more set of pullups in each grip, vertically. Horizontal pulling is good for shoulder stability.

Handstand FWD Roll. Set a cheese mat vertically. They kick to a HS, pushing it over and either can do a flatback or roll out. You can also set up a block or cheese against a wall (or just a wall) and walk up to handstand and roll out. Another drill is a 3/4 HS where one leg kicks to vertical in the HS and they roll out.

Back hip circle: I also use this drill for pullovers-lay on the back on a spotting block, pull over it (feels like the last part of both skills)

Pulling strength: Do you have therabands? You can hook those on all sorts of things & pull at all sorts of angles (down, towards you, up...). Also reverse chinups...help them chin and then they lower themselves as slowly as possible in all directions. Same muscles, but it's easier for the less strong kids.

Handstand forward rolls: have them stand at the bottom of a cheese mat, facing it (so they're by the point, not the high part). Have them handstand and tip over onto it. This encourages hitting the handstand and they tend to naturally do the shoulder rounding action after a few flatbacks--and it encourages straight arms in my experience.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back