NEVER underestimate a gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bella's Mom

Of course, those of us in the gymnastics world already know this but the poor unknowing public......

Tonight my daughter is at a local festival here in town. There is a military recruiting booth and they have a chin up bar and are pulling people from the crowd to challenge them to do as many pull ups as they can. A boy, maybe around 10 years old, went up and did 4 pull ups. Bella saw him and asked the Marine staffing the booth if she could try it. My brother (she went with his family) said the Marine kind of laughed at her but lifted her up to the bar and told her to be careful.

You KNOW what happened!!! LOL By the time Bella hit eight pull ups, a crowd of between 30 and 50 people were cheering her on and counting out loud with her. She ended up doing 14 to the amazement of the Marine. He told my brother he sure wished he had her on film. They ended up giving her all these Marine promotional gifts because they were so amazed.

Not bad for a 7YO "girl".

Oh, that's cute and impressive!
I did the same thing on a rim of a basketball net at a French camp I went- the guys were showing off doing chinups, so I decided to go do some. They were laughing at me, thinking I wouldn't be able to do 1... how about we turn that 1 into 20 :) They asked me if I was ACTUALLY a girl!

All those hours in the gym pay off in the most unusual places. Now, if only I liked working out as much as your girls do.

I think that's my favorite thing about my daughter being in gymnastics. Yes, she may be wearing a pink rhinestone leotard and have glitter in her hair, but she is STRONG. I hope ALL of our daughters spend their entire lives amazing EVERYONE who might underestimate them for ANY reason, but especially those who underestimate them because "they're only girls!"

Way to score one for the team, Bella! :applause::highfive::thumbsup:

hahah this sounds like the time we were in line for lunch at church camp. on the outside patio there was a bar that they used to do chin ups. everyday they would have contests to see who could do the most. after 2 of watching and laughing at all of them trying i went over there to show them up. you could see it on their faces they were just like whatever she is only able to do like 3. i think the record for that day was 8 and i busted out 17 and all of their jaws just dropped to the floor. then i just got down and walked back to our table similing. :D

This is one of the things I love about gymnastics. It takes quite a bit of confidence to, in front of a bunch of strangers, say "oh I can totally top that" and then do it. More so when half the strangers are all condescending-like.

This story made my weekend.

too funny, had a similar experience when my daughter was watching some teen boys attempting to climb a pole. When they had finished off she scuttled and straight up to the top she went....the boys were last seen walking away muttering "Man, we got beat by a little kid, and a girl at that". Priceless, think they were startled as my daughter also looks a good few years younger than she actually is.

Way to go Bella. I love these posts cause so many times do boys think she's a girl she can't do that and no way is she going to outdo me. And then bam it happens. Sweet victory.

Wooohoo, you go, Bella!! Way to beat the boys! That's awesome :) She's so cute and tiny and then BAM! Don't mess with her!

My favorite gymnast moment of my childhood was taking the push-up test in school in 6th grade. We had to do push-ups to a tape that said "down, up, down, up" and so on. When we got to 40 or so, me and the cool football jock guy of the school were the only two left. He dropped out at 50, and the tape finally ran out, but the gym teacher told me to keep going. After gym all these kids I didn't even know were coming up to me going, "Did you really do 80 push ups?!" Same happened with the pull-up test, I think I did 24 in 2nd grade. lol. I loved those moments where people would look at me like "Did that really just happen?" and I would just smile and say, "I'm a gymnast." :)

I'm sure this won't be the last time Bella can show off her skills!! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back