Parents New here...jumping from rec to USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Blessed4x

Proud Parent
My dd had her eval for team today and starts next week! They were looking at her for AAU or USAG and said she had the natural ability to be in the USAG team but needed some polishing of skills and work on flexibility. She's 8, and most of the other girls are 5-6. I was always afraid of being "that mom" so kept her in rec, but the begging and pleading got the best of me. Now I'm hoping I didn't put her off too long. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and share our happy news :D

Welcome welcome welcome to the wonderful world of team gymnastics. 8 yo isn't an old lady too old for gymnastics.

I've seen alot older just starting out. Keep yourself and her grounded and make the first objective for her to HAVE FUN first!!
Try to keep out of the Drama that the "Drama Mamas" might suck you into and don't worry about what any other kid is doing, getting or how old they are when they got to do it. You will drive yourself crazy if you do. Just focus on your own kid and ask yourself is she having fun first, does she seem to want to do this, and is there signs that she is improving (and don't compare to the others on the team or at her age level)

everyone proceeds at their own pace and it's never too late to get started. If it were your coach wouldn't be recommending her.
I've seen L4 girls competing from 6yo - 15 yo so don't worry about age. Just be supportive of your child and let her know how proud you are of her everyday.

Blessed4x
Welcome to the CB - Great people here; very knowledgeable and willing to answer all your questions. My advice to a new team gymom - read my signature line - it says it all. More than anything (except money) this sport requires patience, so relax and enjoy the ride along with your dd.

Welcome! I too kept my daughter in Rec as I wasn't sure I was ready to commit to the hours and expense of team. My daughter started team at age 8 as well after a year of her asking me to do it. Looking back I am glad I had her wait as I know that this is what she has always chosen (not me) and that she was old enough to choose it. It also allowed her to be a little older before she hit the crazy hours. She is now level 7 and at the same level as the girls her age that started when they were 5 and 6. There are also quite a few girls that were on team with her when she was L4, that started at age 5 and 6 who have now quit the sport. Gymdad2 is right, it is a marathon- keep that perspective and you will do just fine as a gym mom!

Welcome blessed4x. We all have some of "that mom" inside--just have to learn to control it:) What level would your dd start competing at or is this a move to a pre-team program?

Thanks for the welcomes!! She will be level 2-3 which I'm thinking is pre-team? She will still compete, but locally. She'll be in the gym 2 hours twice a week with an extra Saturday optional. I'm sure I will be for advice as we go, and I'm glad to have found a place to go!

Just wanted to say welcome! Every level comes on this forum so ask and brag away or no I mean here!

Congrats to your daughter! I'm relatively new to CB and have found lots of great information here. My DD is also 8 and made the jump from rec classes to pre-team back in January. The difference in her progress from going to a once a week, 2 hr rec class to going 2 hrs twice a week has been amazing to me. I don't think age really matters, as long as they are having fun and love what they're doing!

Welcome Blessed4X!!! My daughter also moved to pre-team the summer before 3rd grade and will be competing for the first time this fall. You'll be amazed at the difference between Rec and the competitive program. I'm sure your daughter is going to love it!

Congrats to your daughter and welcome!! I think you will learn a lot from the posters on here. I know that I have since joining the group. Hope that she is enjoying the team experience. :)

Hi, my DD did not start competitive til she was almost 9 as a L3. She is now almost 12 and doing either prep op or Level 7 this year. Don't worry, there are plenty of girls that start later and at meets she will compete with girls her own age. Welcome to the CB!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back