WAG New levels 6,7,8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymnastJoy

Proud Parent
I understand that the optional level requirements will not be released until May but curious if anyone knows how the current levels 7 and 8 compare to the new levels 6, 7, and 8. Will the old 8 and new 8 be the same?

My dd is currently a level 6 and recently there have been teams entering their level 5 girls to do a score out meet then resuming their level 5 season for states. After noticing the recent increase and new girls in each meet I asked a mom from another team about it. She said that many gyms want to score out of level 6 now and potentially level 7 after states but before May to give the girls the option to do the new level 6, 7, or 8. Once the guidelines are released then these team will place their girls accordingly.

So that brings me to another question, if a gymnast scores out of level 7 this season doing a single meet, can they still compete the new level 6 new year? Would it be considered repeating the level? Thanks!

From what I've heard from my DD's gym - the skills will change along with the routines and some of the requirements but to make it easier to understand in simplistic terms if we were keeping the current levels then the new level 8 would be the
current level 8 1/2 if there were such a thing. So from current level 8 on down the skill set will be re-numbered with the lower level number so old level 8 will be new level 7, old level 7 will be new level 6 and the first level for optionals and so on. It won't be exactly the same requirement as the old levels but similar. Guess we will have to wait and see what is actually coming in May.

As far as mobility goes I think that will end up being decided with each gym. I am told at my gym if they are for example a L7 this year and don't move up a level they will be a new L6 but don't get hung up on the level numbers it's more about the skill requirements than the name of a level. They could as easily renamed the levels with the alphabet it won't change what they will require at a given level.

http://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=9249&prog=h

The above link was part of a survey last year. It shows what they were thinking of doing with the levels but these were only preliminary recommendations. Who knows what the final decisions will be. However, it gives you am idea.

as far as scoring out, there's no problem with dropping back a level unless a girl had competed in a state/sectional meet at a higher level and then tried to go down a level. For instance if a gymnasts competed at L8 at state meet but then wanted to drop back down to 7 the next year. She would have to get special permission (injury usually). But for thus next year, those rules will be different because at girl competing 8, wanting to"go down"to 7 really its just staying at the same level.

As for movement between 6,7,8 it really depends on what they decide on the skills. Initial thoughts seem to be that 6 will be a little little easier than current 7, 7 a little easier than 8, and 8 a little harder than current 8 (or at least the option of adding more difficult skill If ready. If this is true, I think alot of current 5 will test out of current 6 before the season ends so they can go to new 6 or even 7 if they have been uptraining. Current 6 will likely be able to make the jump to new 7.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

This is what our L5 team is doing and they only rarely have a girl skip a level. But our head coach is looking to either take my daughters team to an L6 meet in Michigan or do an in house to score out.

Says she doesn't want to have them do a score out early next season to avoid having to learn the new routine. I know of at least two other gyms who are also looking to do this. And we have two big gyms that could do it in house without batting an eye.

about half of our current L6s will go 7 and half will go new 6.

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

What I have heard, possibly even here, is that the big difference between new 6 and new 7 will be the giant on bars. No one seems to know for sure if new 7 will still have the front handspring vault as a 10.0 start value and have everyone continue to introduce Yurchenkos and Tsuks at new 8. But maybe someone out there knows by now?

http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior Olympics/JOCompUpdateNovDec2012.pdf

The link above shows how the current level names correspond to the new level names and shows allowable value parts for optionals. Looks like the value parts and allowable skills stay pretty much the same (with the exception of a C skill being allowed at 8 that will count as credit for a B element). So the big question will be the mix of how many A,B, C etc will be required at the new levels and what special requirements will be at each level.

The chart also shows what the mobility options are for each current level. So back to the last question from the OP, if someone scores out of 7 this season, the options for next season would be new 6, new 7, or even new 8 if they scored at least a 31 based on the mobility chart.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back