Parents Non gym parents & Elite question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I also try to put it in perspective for people by reminding them how old gymnasts typically are when they "peak" (ie, 16-18 year olds at the Olympics). For girls especially it requires an intense commitment early on because it's not a sport you continue at that level indefinitely.

As far as the TOPS question, you can find out more about TOPS on the USAG website. This will tell you how and why it was designed and general information. However, there are some gyms that will train "TOPS" but not necessarily plan to test or run it in a way that is conducive to testing. MY dd's old gym had a TOPS group that she was in when she was younger, but it was just an extra practice to work strength and conditioning. It was by invitation only, targeting the younger girls who showed potential for making it to upper optional levels. (None of the girls in that TOPS group are still at that gym, and only 2 are still competing.) They did not go to testings and this gym had no plans to train elite girls. As far as I know, SC has no gyms that currently train Elite girls and a very limited number of L10's. At state meet last year there were less than 20 L10 girls. Training elite takes a huge commitment, not just from the gymnast and family, but from the coach and gym as well. It is difficult to train elite without several gymnasts with the talent and commitment.

I point out that my daughters 'huge' weekly hours are actually lower than the average amount of TV watched by Australian kids her age and that I am happy that my daughter's choice of spare-time activity is so good for both her brain and her body.

That usually gets a bit of quiet while the person I'm talking to thinks about how much TV their child is watching.

I point out that my daughters 'huge' weekly hours are actually lower than the average amount of TV watched by Australian kids her age and that I am happy that my daughter's choice of spare-time activity is so good for both her brain and her body.

That usually gets a bit of quiet while the person I'm talking to thinks about how much TV their child is watching.
Every once in a while my girl complains about going to gym.

And I look at her say she can quit any time. She brightens up until she hears me continue. What else would you like to do, because staying home and staring at a screen is not an option.

Gymnastics it is. :D:cool:

I don't think baseball is just playing catch. And good ball players also train all the time, not just during the "season" and not necessarily with their team.
But you can practice at home.. on the off season. it doesn't require constant training. Yes professional athletes practice year round.. as do kids on more competitive teams. i get that. I was just giving an example of how different they are.

But you can practice at home.. on the off season. it doesn't require constant training. .

If you are practicing at home on the off season, you are constantly training.

High school sports kids are training year round. Just like gymnastics has a meet season, so does baseball, football, etc.. It doesn't mean they aren't training when there are no games.

And most kids who do seasonal sports just do different things year round.

If you are practicing at home on the off season, you are constantly training.

High school sports kids are training year round. Just like gymnastics has a meet season, so does baseball, football, etc.. It doesn't mean they aren't training when there are no games.

And most kids who do seasonal sports just do different things year round.

I wasn't saying they dont. NM
you enjoy arguing.

Non gym parents just don't get it and it's likely they never will. It's a whole different animal, and I think a lot of people look at kids spending a lot of time on sports with a side-eye. We must all be crazy, pushy parents.... nope, not at all!

While parents with kids in the 10 and under age tend to be a little surprised by the hours my DD goes, once those same kids hit about 5th grade, they often discover how many hours kids sports can take. By 4th and 5th grade, children here are often playing multiple sports or are specializing and starting early travel sports. While they may not do as many hours of practice a week, those sports often have much higher commitments in terms of games and tournaments. And, while some sports are seasonal, sports like soccer have multiple seasons and indoor seasons, etc. To the point those kids are often playing year round.

Gym definitely has a lot of hours at a young age, but it isn't the only sport with significant hours for relatively young kids. Our kids do more conditioning than most, but gym isn't alone in youth sports.

If you are getting a lot of looks or comments, just smile and wait a couple of years and you can say I told you so to many of those parents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back