WAG non-sanctioned meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does a sanctioned meet have to have 2 judges per event?? We do an in-house meet each year (coming up in 1 month for levels 6-10) and I've heard from some parents that it is a sanctioned meet and that the scores can be used to qualify for state but I've heard from other parents that it's not sanctioned because there aren't 2 judges per event.
This is correct. Levels 6 and up must have 2 judges per event in order to be sanctioned(4 for level 9/10 nationals) Level 5 can have 1 judge for local/non-state qualifying meets, must have 2 for anything above that. Level 4 and below can have single judge panel for all but state meets. This is all in Rules and Policies so applies to every meet in the country sanctioned by USA Gymnastics.

With the quick caveat that the same rule does not apply to boys' meets, just in case there's any head scratching out there. One judge is enough even for a sanctioned state qualifier for optionals.
Absolutely. The boys have an entirely different set of rules and policies. I think 2 judges are only required at optional Regional championships and above.

Reactions: sce
Speaking for MAG in my area, we have a lot of local, low level meets that aren't sanctioned. Our gym doesn't require the boys to join USAG until L5, but they do compete starting at L4. They try to keep the pressure low at the beginning, so that more boys are willing to even try it. For my DS, he competed no sanctioned L4 meets, about half and half at L5, and now at L6, they all are except for one casual sort of practice meet. The judges at the nonsanctioned meets seem to typically be other coaches, or have even been high level boys team, whereas the sanctioned meets have more official judges. I think it's just easier to put the casual meet together that way, and not totally scare off the new kids!

Our gym hosts a Mock Meet at the beginning of the season. It’s mainly for parents and relatives that can’t travel to have a chance to watch the gymnasts compete and it gives the girls a good practice run before meet season begins. It was especially helpful for DD last year as she was very nervous and this gave her an idea of what to expect at actual meets. It helped calm her fears and nerves.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back