Not Liking Your Child's Floor Routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When my daughter was promoted to level 7 back in February, she inherited one of her old teammates floor routines. I like the music but not the routine. We paid a very small price to the former gymnasts to teach my daughter her floor routine. It meets all the requirements but I feel it is lacking content. Anybody else ever experience this? Any feedback would be great. Thanks, Taryn

Our gym hands down floor routines and sometimes they fit the gymnast better than others. Is it possible to have a coach or choreographer go through and make a few changes so it will show off your daughter's strengths? Congrats on reaching Level 7!

I agree. Can you ask a coach or someone to go through and changs some parts. It shouldn't cost much either. I have asked your dd if she is loving the routine. If she doesn't it is going to be hard to show it off in competition.

Ditto what the other posters said. I'd talk to the coach and see if there's any changes that she can make to her routine to make it more hers. We'll be paying $350 for dd's routine, it better be good! Good luck!

I agree you should have the coach who does floor ex watch the routine and get his/her opinion. Our old gym handed down routines and this is what happened to some girls---the choreo just didn't work for them. It shouldn't be much of a problem to add or delete some of the old routine.

One thing about L7 is usually the floor routines are pretty basic. Many coaches have the philosophy of keeping it simple that 1st year of optionals.

Congrats on dd being L7.

Usually first routines are kept simple giving the gymnasts the ability to put their own flare in. There may be places where she can change things up a bit to fit her personality better so the routine isn't lacking presentation. The key issue would be, does she like the routine?

Yes, she likes the routine. My daughter wants to change a few little things, which her coach encourages them to do and then she will see if she agrees with the changes. My daughter gets a kick out of watching her routine on youtube. She tries to think of changes, etc.

I will definately check with her coach!!

Thanks for the input.

This might sound a little rude, and it's not really ment that way but...

You don't care, that's what you do. It's HER rutine, and if she likes it, then let her do it. There are too many moms and dads out there that push their kids to do more or different things even if they don't want to. Don't be one of those people.

I agree with Brandon. It is so important that the gymnast herself likes her own routine! I have seen some moms who really hated their daughter's music, or the dance moves, and they've convinced the coaches to change up the routine, and it just doesn't work b/c then the gymnast doesn't like it!!

I agree with Brandon too. It is more important that the gymnast love their music and their routine and they will perform it to the max. Level 7 is the intro to the optional levels and it is more important to keep it simple and have the gymnast succeed. Simple is a good thing. If your DD is happy then be happy for her and know that there is still L8, L9 and L10 up the road to change music, routines and add in all the flair. Just be happy for her if she is happy and only get concerned if your dd is sad with what she has.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back