not sure about the future???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a question and since I am new, I am not sure where to post it, so this seems as good a place as any. My daughter is 8 1/2 years old and has been in gymnastics for three years. One month ago, she moved up to L3. She has been training L3 skills for this past month since she moved up, and this past weekend attended a meet and competed L3. She did horribly. She barely knew any of her routines, fell off the balance beam (not that big of a deal, but they took off alot of deductions) and totally messed up her floor routine - she basically didn't know it all, in fact she told me she had just learned it the week prior. What makes that worse is that she was sick last week and only got 2 out of 3 workouts because she missed a day being that she was sick. Her floor routine was so bad, the music finished and she wasn't......she buried her head in her hands when she was done, and walked over to her coach......we were in the stands, left to just feel our hearts breaking for her. Needless to say, she walked away with only one medal for 12th place overall, which seems ridiculous. Even she asked why they bothered. My question is really two-fold - shouldn't SOMEONE at the gym, the coach or otherwise told us, hey, she's not ready to compete at L3 yet? (She had previously competed at L2, been to about 5-6 meets and did average). There were several of the girls that had been moved up at the same time that also had the same issue. I would have rather not spend $500 + in travel, hotel and meet fees than to watch this mess. Be truthful and tell me she is not ready. You can't possibly teach 4 apparatus routines in a month.....Also, if she was moved up too early, tell me that too!!! Is artistic gymnastics not for her? Tell me!!! Maybe she would do better in tramp and tumbling! I have no expertise in this and I rely on them to tell me. I wish I knew how to get answers ......My daughter spent a about a year and a half at L2, so maybe the reality is that this is not the sport for her. She has trouble with upper body strength. She has no problem with cartwheels, roundoffs, vault is ok. Her problem really is upper body.

If anybody has any suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it. :confused:

HI! I have a daughter who is finishing level 3 as a second year. We tried level four and moved back to three. Lots of reasons behind her decision. :) Other daughter is finishing the season as a level 2 and will be going to three in a couple of weeks. We spend a year at each level. I can't believe she competeted a month after moving up a level. That in my opinion is not enough time to learn and perfect it. DD as a first year level 3 had scores in the eights and some nines. As a second year level three she has mostly nines with a few eights here and there. Ellie as a level 2 has had high eights and nines. Ellie has upper body strength. Emma my level 3 does not. She struggles with it and has to work harder on vault and bars. Her bar score was a 9.425 at the last meet. :) Emma does better on beam and floor usually. But we know this and so does her coach. They make her spend hours vaulting and on bars. Ellie spends hours on beam and floor. She is not as graceful.
To answer your question, I think it is too early to decide she is not a level three. She has not be given adequate time to learn the routines. She has had less than 12 classes as a level 3. Then she was expected to compete it. When did she get time to learn the skills? Maybe talk to her coach. I wouldn't let her compete until you saw she was doing the skills and knew the routines. The season should almost be up. Maybe this was setting her baseline for next years scores. Falling off beam happens. As my gym mommies say-It is what it is-a fall. Not every day will be like that. I would talk to the coach. How did the other girls who just moved up do? What are the coaches plan for next year for daughter? Did she compete the spring season as a two? I would ask questions. :) Don't say she isn't ready yet when she hasn't been given a chance to learn yet.

I have to go put my kids to bed, but,

If she loves gymnastics best, it is the sport for her.

If she lacks upper body strength, she is either not conditioning enough, or she needs to lose weight, or she has a medical condition. Only the latter would be critical in my decision, if she loves gymnastics best.

It would not be a "plus" for me that her team schedules expensive travel meets for L3, even if my daughter could "win." What is the point? I know some parents like the drama and want to give their daughters experiences. I fully expect my daughter to travel many places in her life and don't think we need to spend money without benefit to our daughter (we would prefer to use our money in a way that benefits the family as a whole). Now where I live, there is more than ample competition for my daughter in our metro area. So for us, it would be seen as a waste of money.

My daughter (L2) has not come in last yet but I thought she would probably get that honor the last meet. Gymnastics is the sport for her because she loves it best.

You may want to look for a gym that has a pre-team and doesn't start competing until L4 or L5, or for a gym that doesn't do travel meets at these levels. And one that would condition her a bit more.

My 4 year old will start praciticing level 3 routines in April and not compete them until 8 months later. I would think that your dd has not had enough time to work the routines to have any success at them in competition. This really is unfortunate because it now sounds like your gymmie's confidence is down when it isn't even her fault. I would say to stick with it and give her the time to actually learn the routines but not compete until she is given more time if possible. Our coaches would not do that to a young gymmie.
We only do local meets in level 3 because there are enough girls in our local area. It is very low key and inexpensive.

Last edited:
First and foremost, I wouldn't overreact to one bad meet in the beginning of the competition career at a new level. I think kids often get a reality check when they need to do routines under the pressure of competition and find out they're not as ready as they thought they were. It's a learning experience. It doesnt mean she won't be succesful over the long run. My dd is a pretty succesful level 7 now-- her first level 4 meet, her FX was a total deer in the headlights situation. She left out half the routine and got a score in the 5s.

There is an issue, however, of how well the gym is preparing them for meets. You said that there were other new level 3s in the same boat. I guess my question is whether this is common for this gym, or a one time incident. Maybe they didn't plan quite right and the girls weren't where the coaches thought they'd be. It's possible they didn't want to pull them out of the meet so late and disappoint the girls and parents. If they're regularly sending kids to meet without adquate preparation, I'd question whether it's the program you want to be in. I would prefer to see the kids prepared and confident going into competition. You really see a variety out there in terms of how ready for the current level kids are at various programs.

Of course, there's a balance. I think it's fine for the girls to be about 75% there at the beginning of the season with the idea that you want them to peak towards the end.

Aw, I feel awful for her. And for you...and I can understand your frustration!! I have two daughters who compete in gymnastics, one is finishing her first full season as a L4 (9 years old) and one who is in her second year of L2 (6 years old).

My younger daughter has struggled and has come in last in every event at meets (these are only in-house meets, we don't travel until L4). I have often wondered too if it is all the right thing for her. With her, it has just taken her MUCH longer to learn things. She also struggles with upper body strength. But she also loves gym, and I just tell myself that it is her sport, and if she loves it and wants to do it...I will let her stay in level 2 forever, LOL.:eek: (our gym has a strict move-up policy).

My older daughter is an average gymnast. She's been in gym for about 3 years. We do travel for meets for her and we do spend quite a bit of money. She has never been an all around winner and often doesn't make the "boxes" as she likes to say. Sometimes it is easy to be frustrated. But again, it's her sport. She loves it. She gets disappointed and frustrated but is always ready to go back the next day.

Having said that, I don't agree with putting gymnasts out on the floor at a travel meet who are not ready for whatever reason. I don't think that is fair to your family or to your daughter. If she is not ready, that's ok. It doesn't mean she is in the wrong sport, it just means she needs some more time to practice and get ready. Everyone moves at a different pace (believe me, I understand this one!). Try not to get discouraged about her future as a gymnast...because she has plenty of time to improve and enjoy the sport! I'd encourage you to talk to the coaches if possible to get their take on the situation.

I'm sorry she had such a bad experience!:( I hope she and you can come up with a plan and a solution.

I think that it was inappropriate for the gym to take a kid to a meet completely unprepared. One month is not very long to learn all of the routines. Some kids can do that, but usually they are older and higher level.

I would ask that she not do any more meets until she is comfortable with all of the routines. Our girls learn them in segments, not moving on until they have that part down. Floor music is not added until they have the routine down.

I have seen this happen at meets, sometimes entire squads scoring very low due to form, routines done wrong or. Forgotten.

I would not say it is not her sport, but that her coaches failed to prepare her.

Gymnastics is a morathon not a sprint. I know this is so cliche but true.

I feel like her coahes failed to prepared her. I would have a long talk with her coaches about why they competed her so soon in this level and what their plans are for her.

It is nice to have an idea of what they are thinking so you can make decisions about if you agree with their coaching style.

Best of luck to you and your DD

Well... gym monkey's mom already took the response I was going to add!!! "Gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint!"

Everyone here has had great advice. It is too easy, in this sport, to get caught up in scores, placements, etc. If you daughter loves the sport, then she needs to stay in it!!! Yes, she may take longer to acquire skills... not every child "gets it" right away (once again, the "marathon" quote).

I DO believe it was inappropriate for the gym to have the girls compete when they are not prepared. I also think it's a bit crazy for them to be taking a L3 team to travel meets!!! Oh my gosh!!! Many gyms don't even compete L4!!!

... and keep in mind, it was her first meet... so there are all of those jitters to be overcome as well. It takes time ("marathon" quote again) to learn how to settle the nerves that competition brings.

If she loves it, stick with it!!

I agree with all of the previous posters. It really is just too soon to tell and if she loves gymnastics, that is all that matters. The coaches should not have put her in that position, it just makes her doubt herself and gives her a bad impression of meets. With a little more time, she could rock those level 3 routines or at least find herself in the middle of the pack. Remind yourself, and her if necessary, that many of these girls have been working those level 3 routines for months and competed them several times. A few extra weeks or months can make a world of difference in gymnastics.
As a gymnast, I moved up to the level 4 team within a few months of starting gymnastics and my first season was nothing more than average. That summer I got moved up to level 5 mid-summer, after other girls had been training the new level for a few weeks, and could not catch up. I did another year of level 4 instead and was still nothing spectacular. I scored a 9 and got a trophy, I was happy. I still loved gymnastics though and I was involved for 8 years until my body forced me to change plans. I worked harder than my teammates and didn't do as well, but I kept improving myself and my abilities. I would have loved to do better, but it just wasn't in the cards. But I'm glad I got to participate for as long as I did.
And you never know, with a new conditioning program your daughter could improve tremendously in the way of upper body strength. Or maybe just growth will help her. I think most, if not all, gymnasts have something that doesn't come quite as easily to them and they just need to learn to work a little harder on that area.
If your daughter is competing at all, I would guess the gym saw at least some potential. I would just let them know that she needs more time and experience with the routines. What's the rush? She's only 8. She should be having good experiences with gymnastics at that age, not feeling bad for not performing well.

They really give out medals for 12th place??? In Australia medals are only for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, they don't give anything for 12th place.

It does sound like the gym failed to prepare her for the meet in that she didn't know the routines and only had a month to learn them. But don't write her off as a gymnast. First meet at a new level is rarely fabulous. Level 3 is a bit more competitive than level 2 and it takes a while to get into the groove of things and to get used to performing in front of judges and the crowd.

Never write off a competition as a waste of time or money if she doesn't place. Losing can be a more powerful and positive experience than winning. Its important for kids to learn that it isn't about winning or medals or trophies, its the competing that counts. Its good for them to walk away empty handed every now and again so they see that "getting something" isn't so important. You win some and you lose some but this is a valuable life lesson.

I read on one of the USAG sites - I think it was our regional site in the board meeting minutes where there is an initiative to award out all positions in the AA for the lower levels - probably to placate the bleacher moms and to be PC. I am somewhat ok with this as it is an achievement just to compete - but I think that the podium should be nicer medals and then the other positions be lesser - like a participation ribbon or something. It is a bit silly when, at a recent meet, my dd's 1st place FX event medal is identical to her 2nd AA, and 9th place falling off the beam medal.

I find this whole post and its replies to be quite enlightening...I feel bad for the OP's daughter who was clearly unprepared for the meet but I think that her original question has been kind of swept aside...she wonders if her daughter should continue when , after 3 1/2 years in the sport, she really isn't doing well and really isn't making progress... At 8 years old, and having done gymnastics for > 3 years, she should have been able to compete successfully at Level 3 so it's a legitimate question. While she may "love gymnastics", maybe team artistic gymnastics is not the route she should be taking. I believe the OP referenced whether or not T & T might be a better option...I think it's worth investigating or even maybe a rec team or Prep Op team option...

I do agree with posters who said that one meet doesn't make a whole season but I think in the context of having been in the sport for over three years and then getting these results, it's disheartening. Might there be another sport she likes? Soccer, cheerleading , dance? She's only 8 so I would definitely have her try other options and if she keeps coming back to "I like gymnastics" then maybe as the parent, you have to say to the coach, "I am not entering her in any meets (which for Level 3 a travel meet seems ridiculous ) until she has ALL her skills and is ready".

Forgetting a routine, while discouraging, isn't a reason to give up on gymnastics. We saw a L8 girl who is in on the TOPS national team forget the floor routine she has competed all year a couple of weeks ago. It happens. Sorry the kids at your gym weren't better prepared, but don't give up!

Well if she was in the L2 group for a year and a half and she was in gymnastics for 3 years, then she was probably ... OP can chime in ... in a rec class for 1.5 years. I have seen rec programs that were not very instructive and certainly offered no meaningful conditioning.

Also it does not sound like this gym does what most gyms seem to do, which is, train skills for 6 months to a year or more before ever competing them.

Well... gym monkey's mom already took the response I was going to add!!! "Gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint!"

Everyone here has had great advice. It is too easy, in this sport, to get caught up in scores, placements, etc. If you daughter loves the sport, then she needs to stay in it!!! Yes, she may take longer to acquire skills... not every child "gets it" right away (once again, the "marathon" quote).

I DO believe it was inappropriate for the gym to have the girls compete when they are not prepared. I also think it's a bit crazy for them to be taking a L3 team to travel meets!!! Oh my gosh!!! Many gyms don't even compete L4!!!

... and keep in mind, it was her first meet... so there are all of those jitters to be overcome as well. It takes time ("marathon" quote again) to learn how to settle the nerves that competition brings.

If she loves it, stick with it!!

Totally agree with this and all the other responses. You can't judge how well she'll do long-term based on a meet that she shouldn't have competed at.

Does your daughter love the sport? Do you feel she's learning much at the gym she's at? Our gym doesn't compete level 2 & 3, but it's not unusual to have girls that are 11, 12 or even 13 starting on team at level 4, so I don't think you can say at 8 yrs old that your daughter isn't cut out for gymnastics.

Here is my 2 cents...

What is ridiculous is spending $500 for a first-time L3 meet (I'm cheap, what can I say). Other than that, everything else is within reason. I don't think you talked about her true readiness but just merely her performance at the meet. Based on the background info provided, I honestly find it hard to believe that she is that lacking. Keep in mind, it's not all that uncommon for a gymnast (especially that young) to have a total flop as a never ever on the competition floor.

I would recommend keeping her in the sport if that is what she wants to do. Provide as much encouragement as needed. Try a lower key meet the next time if that makes both the gymnast and parents more comfortable. It is very likely that things will click for her really soon. Just put things in perspective as she goes from one meet to the next and as she progresses.

First off, be your daughter's biggest fan, no matter what her performance. She's still a little girl, and needs big support from you.

Second, I would really question a gym that tries to teach all the level 3 routines in under a month. I could see it happening if she was nailing every routine at every practice, but it sounds like she wasn't.

That, plus the fact that she missed a day right before the meet, means she should not have competed. She wasn't ready.

Pick out some good points from the meet. Did she get back up on beam and finish the routine? Were her toes pointed? How did her vault go?

Don't take her out because of a bad meet--it sends the wrong message. It tells her that if you struggle with something and have a bad day, you should quit and try something else. If she likes the sport, encourage her to learn from her mistakes and pick some skills out that she'd like to improve on for the next meet. :) You really can turn this into a positive learning experience. :)

I wonder what would have been different in a program that doesn't compete levels 2 and 3, but instead did a prep opt or a longer pre-team kind of thing.

But I'm one of those coaches who finds them a phenomenal waste of time. Gymnastics, if it's what a kid loves, is never a waste of time or energy. But those routines? Can't stand 'em.

I have thought about this topic. :) We have had good meets and bad meets. She has scored first place aa and last place-12th or 15th aa. It is just one meet. Honestly, your daughter wasn't ready for the meet. Schedule a meeting with the coach and find out his/her plans concerning your child. What will she be competiting in the fall or spring of next year? Give her some time to learn the routines. Has she mastered the skills in gym and then forgot the routines at the meet? Or could she not do the skills? I think these are the questions you need to ask. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back