Parents Not sure what to do....sorry so long

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

t.m.perez

Proud Parent
I am new to gymnastics and have a very talented 6 year old that has most of her level 4 skills she can do ro2bh up to 5bh....lol (she loses count ) and she has only been in the sport a short time, she has figured out that coaches that help her with body awareness makes it easier to make corrections and asks for this type of coaching...she watches the big girls train so she can see what the coaches are trying to teach her in the future and listens to thier corrections so its easier for her when she learns the skills....She started at level 2..
Let me say I love my gym and coaches but I am not sure they have a plan for my dd. They recently moved some girls up to level 3 to train level 4 skills and my dd was left at level 2 with all the new level 2s....I am prepared to wait and let her polish skills if needed but it seems she is left on her own since they have to help the new girls. .. plus she has more skills than the ones who have moved up...
So another parent approached me and mentioned her observation of what I have been seeing. She said she visited another gym and felt I should go for an evaluation because she felt this gym is the wrong place for my dd. My daughter does privates also and they have her training the kip since she asked to be tought and she is training her Robhbt but on team is stuck with the 2s.... The coaches say there is a plan. ..but won't say because a lot can happen this summer. ..
Should I look into this gym...I feel like I am cheating on her current gym...or wait and see what happens. ..
Have you ever seen anything like this before. ..I am really confused ...I am sure you are to after reading this....

Ask for another meeting and say you know things can change, but you want to know what the plan is and find out why she is staying at level 2. Maybe her form isn't great. Maybe she needs to work on something else--there are many possibilities. If they continue to refuse to communicate then certainly look around. Is she doing privates with one of her regular coaches? Just wondering if there's communication going on there too.

They say she has excellent form scored 36.8 and 1st aa..this last season..and is tight they use her as examples all the time. ...her private coach doesn't teach team....he is an amazing coach though....she has had lessons with her team coach too..so I think they are on the same page...I don't understand why teach her higher skills when they don't work with her on the ones needed for the next level. .

Maybe they are planning on skipping her a level? The only way to really know what is going on is to ask. Shoot the coach an email if they are hard to grab at the gym.

It is confusing. It sounds a lot different from gyms around here. No gyms here compete Level 1, they start at Level 3 or Level 4. A Level 2 would be preteam and would not ever work on bhs bhs or ro bhs bt at the gym. They are focusing on perfecting the basics and developing strength and flexibility. And the girls are told they are not allowed to do back handsprings outside of gym (though of course some do it anyway). Ask for a meeting with the coaches and ask. Most of what you mention is floor skills, maybe she has some gaps for vault or bars that they want her to work on. That sounds like a lot of privates for a 6 year old... There are lots of posts on here about how to evaluate gyms for what is the best fit for your child. You are at that uncomfortable point of making sure you are at a gym that is the right fit and where you trust the coaches. Once you are, then you need to let them do the coaching decision part! Schedule an appointment with the appropriate coach to chat and learn more about the gym, and also do a bunch of research. Good luck! PS, she's 6....keep it fun!

That's what I was thinking but don't you have to score out of levels...my concern too is how is she going to get to 4 if they don't train her in team practice level 4 skills. ..I could request them during her privates...because they have her training some level 5 skills. ..its just all over the place...ugh so frustrating. ..I did ask the plan in a round about way to two coaches and all I got was they have an idea but wait and see approach. ..

I was in a similar situation with my daughter two years ago. At the time she was training level 7 and her previous gym felt she was right where she needed to be. I knew something didn't seem right and felt based on her abilities and how she had progressed I thought she needed more

I went and got a second opinion from two different gyms and I am so glad I did. Both clubs said that she was talented and needed more then level 7

So we moves her to one of those clubs. Best move ever. That first year she competed pre-national (level8-9 skills) and now last year she did national novice (level 10) and placed 4th at provincial championship

Although our previous gym was so angry and ended up kicking my dd out because we tried out at another gym. Personally it was the best decision we made and lookin back on it I would do it again if I felt my club was not being open.

In the end you have to do what you think is right.

If they say they have a plan and she is doing well then that sounds legit to me although level 3 isn't that much of a jump and a pretty basic level .... All theories aside she is only 6 so have a chat with them and see what the concerns are. And be careful of other parents in the gym, this sounds like a jealous parent may want you out of the picture (if she liked the other gym then why is she still at your gym, or she is just trying to get people to jump ship) Either way, this particular parent is not going to be on team much longer when they learn she is doing this.
Hope that helps. :)

Yes. Very similar situation. Don't know where you live, but levels 1&2 are considered competitive levels where we live (this is counter to most of what I've read on CB). It is very rare to see kids 6 or 7 competing level 3 or up. Even the very talented ones. I would ask for clarification from coach. We did end up switching gyms, and it was the right decision.

If my DD was able to do L4 & L5 skills (which is what your DD can do) then I would not be happy with her repeating L2! Especially since she was 1st AA the past season. I would want to know why she didn't move up. Is it her age? Not mature enough? Too young to increase hrs? & then if you disagree with what there answer is then start looking at that other gym.

Does she have the skills needed for level 4 or 5 on the other events? Also I think USAG says you have to be 7 years old to compete level 4 or above - not sure when she turns 7, but that might be one of the reasons they are holding her back. Although it doesn't make sense for her to be scoring that high at level 2 that they didn't at least move her to level 3.

She needs vault and bar skills for 4...she has I believe everything else....bars she is close on the kip and squat on ...she hasn't had the opportunity to try vault or the rest of bars...
I am just going to wait and see what happens. ..I adore her coaches and have to trust they know best for now...oh she will be 7 soon.... :)

just have a meeting with the hc and ask specifically. Sounds like you have been trying to get an idea from just sideline talks. Have the meeting. They obviously have reasons for not moving her up. It's not too much to ask them to share that with you. Could be her age, maturity, how she fits in one group vs the other, her need to clean up a couple skills, gain strength.. could be anything. Just ask directly...
\

Sounded like the op was upset that she was not moved up to L3 group, you only need to be 6 to compete level 3. 7 for level 4

t.m. -

You pay tuition and you are owed straight answers.

Request a one-on-one meeting with the head coach. Schedule the meeting during the day, not after practice and not right before practice.

Make a list of all of your questions and get clarification on everything you don't understand.

Good Luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back